Toots Thielemans 1922-2016

brownie

Sad to hear this, but he did have a good long run and was able to play the music he loved for for much of his life.

He brought respect to a musical instrument not often accorded it (and was a decent guitarist too).

Rest In Peace, Mr. Thielemans and thanks for all the music.  You will be missed.

Toots was one of my very favorite musicians. "Affinity," his album with Bill Evans, remains one of my favorites. In fact, I don't think I ever heard a record of his I didn't like.  I think he must hold the record for the number of Down Beat awards for "miscellaneous instrument"! A great loss.  RIP.

gregmo

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

As spectacular as his harmonica playing was, I like his guitar even more. What was the tune on a Quincy Jones LP where he whistled along to his guitar? Still have it in my inner ear ...

R.I.P. 

Yeah, he was a musical and soulful guitarist with a good sound. Didn't play or need to play a whole lot of notes. I heard him play The Mooche on guitar, after he had the stroke. He nailed it. Good stuff..

I had the great pleasure of seeing Toots Thielemans perform as part of the George Shearing Quintet in 1958 at a place in Baltimore called the Lucky Number Club. Also, in the group were percussionist, Armando Peraza, and vibist and Emile Richards. What a memorable night...particularly since I was not old enough to be in there, but was determined to see the George Shearing Quintet. Toots Thielemans R.I.P.

22 hours ago, mikeweil said:

As spectacular as his harmonica playing was, I like his guitar even more. What was the tune on a Quincy Jones LP where he whistled along to his guitar? Still have it in my inner ear ...

R.I.P. 

I think you mean 'Bluesette'.  Everybody in the Netherlands and Belgium knows this tune....

A beautiful spirit. To get that kind of nuance and depth of expression out of the harmonica was remarkable. I had only one conversation with him, but it was memorable. Backstage at the 2005 Detroit Jazz Festival, after he had a played a beautifully proportioned set of mostly ballads with Kenny Werner, Oscar Castro-Nevas and Airto Moreira. Toots told me a story about the first time he came to Detroit. It was 1957 and he was working with the George Shearing Quintet at Baker's Keyboard Lounge. J.J. Johnson had played the club the week before with a band that included Bobby Jaspar on tenor sax and flute. Jaspar, like Toots, was born in Belgium. So Toots gets to Baker's on opening night and when he goes into the bathroom he sees scribbled among the graffiti on the wall a missive in Flemish that had obviously been left by Jaspar. The exact translation: "Toots has a big dick."

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

A beautiful spirit. To get that kind of nuance and depth of expression out of the harmonica was remarkable. I had only one conversation with him, but it was memorable. Backstage at the 2005 Detroit Jazz Festival, after he had a played a beautifully proportioned set of mostly ballads with Kenny Werner, Oscar Castro-Nevas and Airto Moreira. Toots told me a story about the first time he came to Detroit. It was 1957 and he was working with the George Shearing Quintet at Baker's Keyboard Lounge. J.J. Johnson had played the club the week before with a band that included Bobby Jaspar on tenor sax and flute. Jaspar, like Toots, was born in Belgium. So Toots gets to Baker's on opening night and when he goes into the bathroom he sees scribbled among the graffiti on the wall a missive in Flemish that had obviously been left by Jaspar. The exact translation: "Toots has a big dick."

:tup