Queen-disc 003 Personnel?

JSngry

The lp  contains a typewritten page with tune titles, blahblah and "Recorded live at Sharine Auditorium, Los Angeles, August 31, 1949"...yes, it says "Sharine" instead of Shrine, oh well. 

It also confirms Joe Carrol'presence, but gives no other personnel. 

Has any refinement of the personnel come about since this record first came out?

The recording over skews the balance towards the rhythm section and away from the band, but that's ok, since the rhythm section is really dealing.

Finally, has this seen a couple release of any kind?

As always, thanks in advance.

Brief tenor solo sounds like it might be Yusef?

For what it's worth, there's this from Lord:

>>>

Dizzy Gillespie
[G2104-16]
Dizzy Gillespie And His Orchestra: 
Dizzy Gillespie (tp,vcl) Benny Harris, Elmon Wright, Willie Cook (tp) Andy Duryea, Charles Greenlee, J.J. Johnson (tb) John Brown, Ernie Henry (as) Yusef Lateef, Joe Gayles (ts) Al Gibson (bar) James "Hen Gates" Foreman (p) Al McKibbon (b) Teddy Stewart (d) Joe Carroll, Johnny Hartman (vcl) George Handy, Buster Harding (arr) 
New York, July 6, 1949
D9VB1793-1    Hey Pete, let's eat mo' meat ! (dg,jc,ens vcl;bh arr)    Vic LJM1009, RCA LPV530, RCA (F)PM42408, Bluebird
        5785-1-RB
D9VB1794-1    Jumpin' with Symphony Sid    Vic LJM1009, RCA LPV530, RCA (F)PM42408, RCA
        Bluebird 2177-2-RB [CD]
D9VB1795-1    If love is trouble (jh vcl; gh arr,*)    Vic 20-3538, The Jazz Factory (Sp)JFCD22829 [CD],
        Essential Jazz Classics (Sp)EJC55669 [CD]
D9VB1796-1    In the land of oo-bla-dee (jc vcl)    Vic 20-3538, RCA LPV530, RCA (F)PM42408, Bluebird
        5785-1-RB
Note: All titles, except (*), also on RCA Victor RD7827.
All above titles also on RCA (F)741095, Classics (F)1102 [CD], Bluebird 66528-2 [CD], Definitive (And)DR2CD11138 [CD].

Dizzy Gillespie
[G2105-16]
Dizzy Gillespie And His Band: 
prob same as prev pers with Johnny Hartman, George Handy out 
Concert "Shrine Auditorium", Los Angeles, August 31, 1949
    Rhum bop concerto    Ozone 17, Queen (It)Q003, Musica Jazz (It)MJCD1094
            Relaxin' at Camarillo    [CD], Tring (Eu)GRF065 [CD]
            Guarachi guaro    
    Soulphony in three hearts [Three hearts in a tangle]    Ozone 17, Queen (It)Q003, Tring GRF065 [CD]
    Oop-pop-a-da (dg,jc vcl)    Ozone 17, Queen (It)Q003
    I'm be boppin' too (jc vcl)         -         - , Definitive (And)DR2CD11138 [CD]
    Lover come back to me                   -
    Algo bueno [Woody'n you]                   -
    Good bait                   -
    Ool-ya-koo (dg,jc vcl) (incomplete)         -         -
Note: Definitive (And)DR2CD11138 [CD] incorrectly lists recording date as May 6, 1949.
"Soulphony in three hearts" as "Study in soulphony three hearts" and "I'm be boppin' too" as "Say A" on Ozone 17.

I have that LP, but without the typewritten page - could you post a scan of it? Just looked up the same data in Lord - the personnel may have fluctuated, it was pretty different on the Capitol sessions that were next - which were the final studio documents of that band. 

Here's the November 21, 1949 lineup_

Dizzy Gillespie (tp,vcl) Willie Cook, Don Slaughter, Elmon Wright (tp) Matthew Gee, Sam Hurt, Charles Greenlee (tb) Jimmy Heath, John Coltrane (as) Jesse Powell,Paul Gonsalves (ts) Al Gibson (bar) Johnny Acea (p) John Collins (g) Al McKibbon (b) Specs Wright (d) Tiny Irvin (vcl)

Yeah I remember those strange LPs , got the 002, it´s a mixture of different live dates. The Waldorf Astoria track and the Cool Blues was reissued on one of the Bird CDs some years ago, and the Stuff with Bud and Candido is on "Summer Sessions" from the ESP discs under Bud´s Name.

The strangest stuff is the Bandbox from March 53, because Bird sounds weak or tired. Usually he played great on all 1953 stuff. Here he even seems to have difficulties to speak as he explains the history of "Diggin´ Diz". But Walter Bishop is the star on that set, he plays great.

The track with Milt Buckner Trio was on the CBS  "Summit Meeting at Birdland" .

Even if those were the old times I was astonished or amused by the typewritten page on the back cover, the whole thing looked really unprofessional, like a private made record.I had another LP titled "Hooray for the Bud Powell Trio" , also from 1953 with stuff from the ESP disk, the "Spring Sessions".

Those strange Italian LPs of "rare" Bop material were something quite important for me when I was a bebop-mad youngster. There was another, I don´t remember the label, but it was called "Here is (Name of the Artist) at his rare of all rarest performances"  that was Miles Davis 1951 at Birdland (later reissued on BN) and the "Miles Davis-Stan Getz" from Birdland 1950.....

Those cheap European pressings were easy to purchase and cheap, there were bunchs of them in the record stores. Musidisc was another, mostly with wrong personnel, wrong record dates (I remember "Bud Powell "From Birdland 1956 with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor, while this was 1953 and Oscar Pettiford and Roy Haynes). They couldn´t or wouldn´t write the correct dates and personnel and first of all, Bud NEVER performed with Chambers in 1956 !!!

I never liked the "Rare of all rarest performances" LP series as they often appeared to be openly thrown together in a helter-skelter way. At least among those artists that I was somewhat more interested in at that time in a more thorough way there weren't many that filled gaps in a thoughtful way.

But I did like the Queen Disc and also Cicala label releases from Italy - they were around, they were affordable to a student's purse and they DID offer rare music not available anywhere else at the time. And primitive layout or not - they were not worse than many of those visually home-made U.S. budget (Boris Rose-sourced?) labels from the 70s. And to be quite honest - in a pinch I preferred (in fact, I still prefer) those primitive layouts to other reissues from that period where the reissuers had nothing better to do than to package music from, say, the 40s or 50s, into a garishly colored, almost psychedelic or disco-funked up sleeve design that did not show the featured musicians or bandleaders in their sharp-as-a-tack 40s/50s style but rather recent photographs of elderly or at best middle-aged chaps attired in ill-fitting, ill-styled 70s garb that did not convey ANYTHING about of the music inside the vinyl. Horrendous!

Musicdisc was earlier (70s rather than 80s) and while the live recordings they collated often had incorrect lineups and recording dates (so did other reissue labels, BTW), they covered an impressively wide range of recordings from the 20s to the 50s (as well as some later ones) (including a dig in the Savoy vaults long before those twofers and single LPs recently discussed here were released and some important airshots such as the 1940 Fargo ballroom recordings by Duke Ellington - IIRC theirs was the very first European release). And as for the incorrect data on these LPs I have a hunch in many cases it was not necessarily their fault as some of their releases were taken over 1:1 from U.S. labels such as Jazz Archive.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

10 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I never liked the "Rare of all rarest performances" LP series as they often appeared to be openly thrown together in a helter-skelter way. At least among those artists that I was somewhat more interested in at that time in a more thorough way there weren't many that filled gaps in a thoughtful way.

But I did like the Queen Disc and also Cicala label releases from Italy - they were around, they were affordable to a student's purse and they DID offer rare music not available anywhere else at the time. And primitive layout or not - they were not worse than many of those visually home-made U.S. budget (Boris Rose-sourced?) labels from the 70s. And to be quite honest - in a pinch I preferred (in fact, I still prefer) those primitive layouts to other reissues from that period where the reissuers had nothing better to do than to package music from, say, the 40s or 50s, into a garishly colored, almost psychedelic or disco-funked up sleeve design that did not show the featured musicians or bandleaders in their sharp-as-a-tack 40s/50s style but rather recent photographs of elderly or at best middle-aged chaps attired in ill-fitting, ill-styled 70s garb that did not convey ANYTHING about of the music inside the vinyl. Horrendous!

Musicdisc was earlier (70s rather than 80s) and while the live recordings they collated often had incorrect lineups and recording dates (so did other reissue labels, BTW), they covered an impressively wide range of recordings from the 20s to the 50s (as well as some later ones) (including a dig in the Savoy vaults long before those twofers and single LPs recently discussed here were released and some important airshots such as the 1940 Fargo ballroom recordings by Duke Ellington - IIRC theirs was the very first European release). And as for the incorrect data on these LPs I have a hunch in many cases it was not necessarily their fault as some of their releases were taken over 1:1 from U.S. labels such as Jazz Archive.

Oh yes, the album covers of the 70´s , I remember once I purchased a twofer Miles Davis with Prestige Dates before the first quintet (1953-54) mostly stuff from Blue Haze, Modern Jazz Giants and Walkin´, with Miles from around 1971/72 in a boxing outfit. First thought it might be some after Bitches Brew music and then found out it was older Miles.

Another fine label, easy to purchase in Europe and low price was the french "America", they had a lot of Mingus and some Bop (Bird on 52´nd Street, Saturday Night Jazz Session with Fats Navarro and Roy Eldridge).

Also remember the legendary "Bird is Free" with that white Bird on a blue sky. We all bought that. Bird was the man, even for those who really dug free jazz. So it was the title of the album maybe......

Once I found "The Happy Bird" and "Bird at St. Nicks" at some record store. I think this was the Bellaphone label.....