RVG - RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Sidran's essential 1985 "Sidran on Record" radio interview with the late Rudy Van Gelder.

"What we were doing was important at the time. We knew we were making good records.The music was important. It was important to the producers that I worked for at the time. It was important to me, and I felt that it was more important than the poitics of the day or anything else that that was going on. What we were doing would really have a lasting significance. I really had that impression at the time."

http://bensidran.com/conversation/talking-jazz-rudy-van-gelder

Can somebody remind me of all the various labels he recorded for the most regularly back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's??  Blue Note and Impulse, of course, but I know there were others -- some of which I could half-remember right (and as many that I would probably get wrong).

Could anyone hazard a guess at a list of said labels, in some rough order based of the number of albums he did for each (over his first 20-odd years in the business)?  Trying to get my head re-wrapped around his total involvement in all that he did, especially back in the day.  And maybe, then, (roughly) the years he was associated with each?

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Can somebody remind me of all the various labels he recorded for the most regularly back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's??  Blue Note and Impulse, of course, but I know there were others -- some of which I could half-remember right (and as many that I would probably get wrong).

He also worked with Prestige Records and Savoy Records