RVG - RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't expect this loss to hit me so emotionally.

over the last few years, I find I don't listen to that much jazz of the era in which Rudy Van Gelder made his enormous mark.

BUT the memories of my discovery of that music and what has followed over the past few decades are priceless. Reading and absorbing the stories and the music - searching in the pre-Internet days for the tough to find OJCs & Blue Notes and looking for the RVG name and recording location - did they move to Englewood Cliffs yet? The discussions on all the jazz boards, the friends I've made and the music I've seen and heard since / all of that not possible without hearing those recordings first and thirsting to find the next one with that sound - oh that sound.

peace and blessings 

RIP, sir

Edited by Steve Reynolds

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Now can the secret to that piano sound be revealed?

Posted about this on FB today, but from direct experience i can tell you that he had a mic (wrapped in felt? not sure) not stuffed inside, but directly over, maybe by an inch, one of  the center holes in the sound board plate. That close miking had a lot to do with it.

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Here is a shot of the ceiling in Englewood Cliffs.

14115411_1265843570146867_64369466731255

I heard he put mics up there.

21 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Ben Sidran's essential 1985 "Sidran on Record" radio interview with the late Rudy Van Gelder.

"What we were doing was important at the time. We knew we were making good records.The music was important. It was important to the producers that I worked for at the time. It was important to me, and I felt that it was more important than the poitics of the day or anything else that that was going on. What we were doing would really have a lasting significance. I really had that impression at the time."

http://bensidran.com/conversation/talking-jazz-rudy-van-gelder

Love it.  And this was in 1985, before the rest of the world (well our world) was saying it.  A professional career very, very well done.