Miles Davis Bootleg Series - crazy ideas for future volumes?

Rooster_Ties

These last couple Bootleg Series issues of Miles Davis material have been a bit of a surprise, especially Vol. 5 (mid-60's studio reels, with rehearsals and early/incomplete takes, including studio banter, etc...)

So what other crazy things could Columbia plausibly have access to, that might make for some other interesting releases in this series?  I know other discussions have focused on particular years of live recordings, but is there anything else that might be of interest that is pretty outside the box?

Lets keep things at least semi-plausible, but dare to dream...

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Anyway it should be rare live material, like let´s say the stuff with the "lost band" 1969 was fantastic, because that group and that style really was underrecorded.

Of course I love the stuff around Dark Magus, Aghartha and Panghea and it would be interesting, or let´s say the live stuff after his comeback from 1981-mid 1983. Especially the 81 band was super cool and their might be enough stuff that´s worth listening to. Though Miles still didn´t have his chops completely back, the music was more advanced and daring, but also with a view to jazz history, fantastic ! 

On 9/4/2017 at 0:06 PM, JCR1992 said:

Has any news come out for Vol. 6? 

https://vimeo.com/50148899

Somewhere in this four-part interview video (if I remember correctly), Michael Cuscuna says that a "live in 1964" volume had been prepared and was ready for release. The interview is around five years old, but at that time "1964" was supposed to be the third volume. Plans subsequently changed, of course.

The 1964 recordings have now fallen out of the EU's 50 year copyright protection, but I don't know how much that changes Sony's plans. 

From Peter Losin. Let the complaining begin!

Bootleg Series #6: Miles Davis and John Coltrane (September 2, 2017)
The next installment in the Miles Davis Bootleg Series will be released in February 2018. I don't know the title, but it will contain the first three extant recordings from the Quintet's spring 1960 European tour with Norman Granz' Jazz at the Philharmonic: Paris, March 21,Stockholm, March 22, and Copenhagen, March 24.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Let the complaining begin!

Gladly! :g

Ok, Paris needs to be part of the indelible permanent history of this music, but it's seen any number of releases and if I understand correctly, not all of them actually "bootlegs", just maybe not money in the estate's bank. Same with Stockholm, and to a lesser extent, Copenhagen.

So...why not do it right and put out all the recordings from this tour? They've all been out there, but some are more easily found than others. And seeing as one or two of them I only have on cassette, that's a set I would jump on. This one, I'll....wait for it to walk my way.

Not really a complaint, I mean, everybody's getting paid through the channels that are probably perceived as "proper", and if there's a noticeable upgra(d)ted in terms of sound quality, Hooray For Miles Davis (picture below), but for me personally, not an Immediate Must-Get. Then again, I'm probably not the target market for this, so all you young people and Totally Ethical Motherfuckers, carpe diem, and have fun!

davis_miles_hoorayfor_102b.jpg

But this...THIS is the one that needs to be heard!

alb_156266_big2.jpg

I've got a cd  of the Zurich  concert, April 8, 1960 (Swiss Radio Days Jazz Series volume 31) advertised as "Officially released for the first time".  Actually I think I have cds of the entire tour.  The packaging is going to have to be awfully good for me to get this one. 

As well, Paris also came out through RTR (on several labels, and then again on Malaco!), and Zurich on Dragon. These were all legit according to the terms of the original waivers or whatever were signed for the gig, so including these in a "Bootleg" series is itself kind of sketchy, if you want to get hardcore about it (and if I don't have to have an opinion about it, I won't). Of the three they're releasing, only the Copenhagen date is REALLY a bootleg.

I mean, does Jazz Icons do bootleg?

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

As good as these recording are - Paris and Stockhoml widely/officially available, so this leaves Copenhagen .... 

Never got around to getting Paris, but I've had Stockholm on CD since back around 1991 (a CD release that appears to date from 1987 -- some 30 years ago!).

Don't have Copenhagen either, so I suppose I'll get this eventually -- but it's certainly not any kind of priority (the only other thing I have from this tour with Trane is Zurich, which I only got around to picking up the Swiss Radio Days of which maybe 2 years ago).

To be honest, I've always preferred Miles with Sonny Stitt (I've had that 13-Oct-60 Stockholm show on CD for over 25 years too).  And NOT because I prefer Stitt to Trane, but rather I think Miles plays with a lot more fire (with Stitt), presumably to compensate for the lack of Trane.

Fondly remember those two separate 2-CD sets of the two different Stockholm shows, which I found at a record store on my first ever trip to Europe (Barcelona) on a college-choir tour spring of '91.  I think I only owned about 100 jazz CD's (at most), but close to 25% of them were all Miles Davis titles.  Never dreamed (back then), that I'd stumble on such high-quality live recordings of material from the KOB band (I'd been collecting Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd bootlegs for 3-4 years, but never expected to find jazz bootlegs or grey-market stuff -- let alone on CD -- in a million years.  A couple short years later, I think I had 6-7 different live Miles grey-market European titles (2nd great quintet, lost quintet, and a couple early 70's dates).

And in fact, it really was exactly those 3-4 live discs of live Bitches Brew material and such from '69 that finally got me (more) into the actual Bitches Brew studio takes (which took me the longest to really wrap my (young) ears around).  Bitches Brew was really one of the last Miles studio albums I felt like I really "got" (not sure if I'd heard On The Corner yet, by that point).  In any case, all those live dates from 67, 69, and 70-71 were revelatory for me back then.

That said, this new one isn't my biggest priority, but if it's 3 discs, and I ever see it available for $24 or so, I'm sure I won't have any will-power to resist.

Edited by Rooster_Ties