Miles Davis Bootleg Series - crazy ideas for future volumes?

Rooster_Ties

There is "a" (as in "one") possible radio broadcast in the contract. And I guess that was the rule (from what I understand at least, but I have nothing I could quote about this, just talks with people in the know, such as W. Uehlinger from hat, who released the radio tapes by Jimmy Giuffre that have in the meantime turned up on Emanem again).

Either way, these are documents of immense (cultural) value and it would indeed be silly, from a fan's perspective, to disagree with their release by labels associated with radio stations (NJA, SWR ...) or ones that clearly have access to the radio's sources and thus contracts with the stations or national libraries or whomever stores those tapes (TCB ... not sure into which of the two categories WDR/Jazzline and NDR/Moosicus would fall, Jazzline seems to be the Laserlight people, which alas shows in the rather lacklustre presentation of their releases).

Also, these labels do offer good value in face of all the pirate/PD/bootleg releases by RLR and such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

How about more of that Avery Fisher Hall 1975 Newport performance? There was one track (‘Mtume’) on Bootleg set no. 4 but that was it. Is the rest of it un-listenable?

I was there.  It was a great show.  And Miles was wearing a 3-piece suit!

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Furry jacket, loon pants and skull cap? :D

I would like to hear more of this concert. The sound isn’t the greatest on the CD but the performance grooves, for sure.

It was pretty cool to see Pete Cosey, sitting on a folding chair.  In my mind's eye, he looked a little like that creature on the back cover of Live Evil.

9369989_orig.jpg

I don't have the European issues, and since these were never issued by Columbia/Sony before, this box is tempting.

BUT, now you guys make me want the material with Stitt as well. Is there enough for another box in the bootleg series? If not, are there any I can get that are not packaged with any of the 'Trane sessions that will be in the new box?

Bertrand.

There is enough for a big box if you include Manchester Hall, England, Stockholm, Sweden and Paris, France. The Paris sessions were released as individual cds in France. The Manchester Hall were out on bootleg a few decades ago. I think the Stockholm were on separate cd from the Trane in the past as well. 

There's a varientcy of them (Paris), here's one that's cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Oct-1960-Miles-Davis/dp/B00006IJ0A/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1506707571&sr=8-12&keywords=miles+davis+sonny+stitt 

but search broadly here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mils+davis+sonny+stitt

imo (and only imo) the dates with Stitt, I can listen to once and be happy to hear Miles being the arsonist for once, but after that, it's Stitt, Kelley, and Co. operating at a high level of uh....what's changed here, nothing? Seems like Miles was the only one who really felt the void.

On 9/29/2017 at 0:24 PM, JSngry said:

imo (and only imo) the dates with Stitt, I can listen to once and be happy to hear Miles being the arsonist for once, but after that, it's Stitt, Kelley, and Co. operating at a high level of uh....what's changed here, nothing? Seems like Miles was the only one who really felt the void.

Right that.  But as you mention, interestingly (oddly?) the whole rest of the band seems practically identical in their approach, be it with Trane or Stitt.  But clearly (at least to me), Miles is really noticeably 'hotter'.

And then the band is practically the same (again, sigh) with the Blackhawk material the next year too.  I've *never* been able to get all that excited about all those Blackhawk sides with Hank, and though I've never really blamed Hank specifically (I've always just chalked it up to Miles and Hank just operating on slightly different planes, or something like that), maybe it's just as much or more that the rest of the band just seems so workaday - uniformly good (I guess arguably), but uniformly the same or so similar in their approach over 2-3 years.  And I'm not recalling Miles being anything like incendiary (like with Stitt), though it's been eons since I've heard any of the Blackhawk material.

So maybe it's the rhythm section at the Black hawk (albeit 'just as good' as they were early on), was kind of as much to blame, as the lack of Trane.  (Or Miles inability to get them to play with more intensity, not to put all the blame too simply on them).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The way I think of this is: Miles was a strong leader and he knew what he wanted very clearly and he got what he wanted. . . so the way the trio was playing was what he wanted. The way the tenors were playing . . . at some point became what he didn't want, or possibly so.