Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rooster_Ties

Miles Davis Bootleg Series - crazy ideas for future volumes?

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Interesting documents. Not just a question of contract of course, but of prevailing national laws.  

And, on top of that, general ethical obligations/norms.

There is "a" (as in "one") possible radio broadcast in the contract. And I guess that was the rule (from what I understand at least, but I have nothing I could quote about this, just talks with people in the know, such as W. Uehlinger from hat, who released the radio tapes by Jimmy Giuffre that have in the meantime turned up on Emanem again).

Either way, these are documents of immense (cultural) value and it would indeed be silly, from a fan's perspective, to disagree with their release by labels associated with radio stations (NJA, SWR ...) or ones that clearly have access to the radio's sources and thus contracts with the stations or national libraries or whomever stores those tapes (TCB ... not sure into which of the two categories WDR/Jazzline and NDR/Moosicus would fall, Jazzline seems to be the Laserlight people, which alas shows in the rather lacklustre presentation of their releases).

Also, these labels do offer good value in face of all the pirate/PD/bootleg releases by RLR and such.