Jazz records with small strings sections

Milestones

Another Konitz/ strings effort is Ralph Burns’ “Free Forms”, on Clef from 1952. This has some surprisingly good Lee on several tracks, against an incongruous, overly cute strings/ woodwinds background - his astringency cuts through the syrup. It would have been interesting to hear what listed drummer Jo Jones had to say about this session.  Q.

On August 27, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Larry Kart said:

Thanks. I think I should listen again. BTW, a sublime record with Lee and a small group of strings is the one he did with Bill Russo "An Image":

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Albums-Konitz-Harvard-Square/dp/B009RQZKTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472335151&sr=8-1&keywords=konitz+an+image

In fact, that probably is the best soloist with a small string ensemble record I know. Russo also did a nice one with Cannonball playing material from Ellington's "Jump for Joy," but the major Russo composition on "An Image" is a genuinely major composition.

I did listen again to "Strings for Holiday." If anything I dislike it more now, for same reasons, than I did before -- but that's why they play ball games (or however that saying goes and whatever it in fact it means).

My wife's been away in Italy for almost two weeks, leaving me to take care of my teenage stepson, our dog, and our cat, and as wonderful as all those creatures are, I'm beginning to babble. 

One you should check out that is fairly recent is TromBari, Devil's Hopyard. TromBari is Jim Pugh and Glenn Wilson. This date features violin, cello and two basses (some tracks have two cellos). All the compositions but one are by Tom Chapin. There is a pretty decent review here:

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD39/PoD39MoreMoments7.html

• 2 years later...
On 8/27/2016 at 1:00 PM, duaneiac said:

This is an album I have heard of, but never heard.  Any one have thoughts to share about this one?

Milt+Jackson+and+the+Hip+String+Quartet.

I think(?) I have a copy of this at home on LP, but I'm not 100%, will have to look. I think it was one of a couple dozen albums I picked up frim my uncle's collection after he passed. Don't know that I've listen to it more than two or three times, and it's been several years at least.

Edited by Rooster_Ties