Things called Jazz that are not Jazz

Amusing 30 minute BBC Radio 4 documentary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07q7lzc

"There's a Jazz apple, Jazz aftershave, Jazz car, Jazz spreadsheet software, even a range of non-alcoholic beer called Jazz. Why are so many things called Jazz that are not Jazz?"

No Great Thoughts thunk but lighthearted and interesting. Includes brief interviews with comedian Stewart Lee (probably Britain's most high profile free improv fan...though he's not that high profile), Nicholas Payton and marketing people who explain why they use the label.

No sell-by date on the website but it might die in 24 hours if it's one of the 7 day iPlayer things. Some survive longer - this might as it only has tiny snippets of music.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Right at the end of the documentary someone comments on how the word 'jazz' derived from another word - think it was jazzem (need to be careful there!) - which meant something like hip, having a good time etc. Can't find it anywhere else - I'd always thought 'jazz' had a specifically sexual origin.

The point made is that until the mid-nineteen teens the music had no name and it only became common around that time; it was acquired from an existing term as a positive brand identifier for the new music; in which case the music that became known as jazz was doing exactly the same as all of the car and perfume products.   

Classical music branding always makes me smile - lots of Latin (or in Britain, foreign languages especially French), endless references to Greek and Roman mythology. I wonder what market they are aiming for? Presumably Brexit will put a stop to this. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 9/7/2016 at 6:12 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

Right at the end of the documentary someone comments on how the word 'jazz' derived from another word - think it was jazzem (need to be careful there!) - which meant something like hip, having a good time etc. Can't find it anywhere else - I'd always thought 'jazz' had a specifically sexual origin.

The point made is that until the mid-nineteen teens the music had no name and it only became common around that time; it was acquired from an existing term as a positive brand identifier for the new music; in which case the music that became known as jazz was doing exactly the same as all of the car and perfume products.   

Classical music branding always makes me smile - lots of Latin (or in Britain, foreign languages especially French), endless references to Greek and Roman mythology. I wonder what market they are aiming for? Presumably Brexit will put a stop to this. 

But isn't brexit the 3rd person singular present tense of the Latin verb, brexire? You know, brexeo, brexis, brexit, breximus, brexitis, brexeunt? I'm sure Boris Johnson and other public school educated chaps think it is. ^_^

9 hours ago, BillF said:

But isn't brexit the 3rd person singular present tense of the Latin verb, brexire? You know, brexeo, brexis, brexit, breximus, brexitis, brexeunt? I'm sure Boris Johnson and other public school educated chaps think it is. ^_^

I'll take your word. I never did Latin (and I went to a Grammar School for three years, one of those institutions that used to spread social mobility and parental choice across the land) - did 'Classical Background' in lieu so we knew the stories without all the character forming grammar. Avoided rugby too. I was a lost cause from the off.