Denis Charles

fasstrack

2 hours ago, fasstrack said:

FWIW, one guy in that street band complained about Denis: 'I never heard him on a full set', etc. (I think he just brought a snare and 2 cymbals). I thought he sounded pretty good, though...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The guy who said 'I never heard him on a full set', geez dude, get your ass to a record store, right?

Did nobody know who he was, what he had done? Or was he just some drummer showing up to play in a street band, might as well have been Charlie Dennis, that kind of anonymity?

I do remember when he started getting records out under his own name, I had a buddy who was a great player but not really "historically deep", if you know what I mean (and that's pretty common, actually) who got all gushy about Denis Charles and I said something along the lines of, oh, good to see him finally getting some profile, those records with Cecil & Lacy are awesome, etc. and this guy was, like, oh, he played with Cecil, when was this? So, we had a conversation about that.

I'll bet that Denis Charles could play more music on a snare and two cymbals than a lot of others could play on a full set.