all things emusic

John B

...At this point, I think I am through with emusic....

So what are the better alternatives for someone primarily interested in jazz, especially from labels like Clean Feed, Black Saint/Soul Note, Delmark, etc.?

There may not be anything better, at least not anything legal, but everyone has a tipping point/price point. I have far too much music as it is, and the latest round of price increases has simply made me look more closely at whether I need this on-going expense, and the answer is no.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what the e-mail from eMusic says about the new additions to their catalog:

eMusic’s mission has always been to provide our members with a deep and broad selection of music at the best possible value. So we’re thrilled to announce that this November we will be adding more than 250,000 tracks to eMusic!

The additions include classic hip-hop albums on the Def Jam label; groundbreaking, forward-thinking rock music on Geffen and Interscope; giants of jazz on the Verve and ECM labels; a wealth of classical music from the standard bearers Deutsche Grammophon and Decca Records; hard-hitting alt-country on Lost Highway; timeless R&B from the Motown label, and much, much more! It will be the single largest catalog addition to eMusic by far, and it comes thanks to a recent agreement with Universal Music Group.

Wish this would happen in E-music UK. We have had ECM for a while but new quality labels are sadly slow to appear. In fact it's getting increasingly difficult to navigate the newly added as so much are cheapo 'All My Succes' type things.

Edit: Just found this e-mail - something is afoot:

eMusic is committed to providing our members with a deep and broad selection of music at the best possible value. As you know, there are still quite a few classic and popular artists not yet available in the UK. We've grown as far as we can with the current pricing system. So this November, in a first step towards bringing you a larger catalogue, we are changing the way we price music from credits to monetary terms.

Starting in November all individual tracks will be priced at 42p instead of 1 credit, and albums will be priced as the sum of the individual tracks. Rest assured, your monthly payments will not change and you will still be able to download the same number of tracks available today, if not more, depending upon your current plan.

For more details about these changes, including how this affects your account and our plans to bring more music to UK members in the coming year, please read the full announcement.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Am I wrong that the price of some albums will decrease? If an album has 4 tracks, currently eMusic might charge 12 credits; in the future, it might be $2.00.

I don't think so. Some albums will still only be available as entire albums or more accurately some tracks will only be available as a full album DL. Emusic clearly is reserving the right for full album pricing. What that will work out to is unclear.

While it still may be a better deal than iTunes or Amazon, according to my calculations when the new pricing goes in, I will be getting 1/3 the tracks for the same money (taking into account a couple of price increases). That's just too much for me to swallow.

My inclination is to bail out, for the reasons mentioned above. Even if I completely ignored all of my eMusic downloads, I still have way too much to listen to on CD and vinyl.

For the occasional thing "I really need, right now", Amazon seems to be a good answer. The recurring charges of eMusic are easy to ignore on the credit card statement, and of course, they know that.

Under my current plan, I get 50 downloads for $19.99. Under the "new" plan, including what they call a "loyalty bonus" of $3.00, I will have a $22.99 to "spend" each month. If I stick solely to the $.49 tracks (what they describe as most of the music currently in their catalog) I will get 47 downloads. Once you move out of the lowest price level of $.49 per track, you will start to lose out pretty quickly relative to the old DL/pricing structure.

I'm going to see how this works for a month or so and then decide if I want to stay. RIght now, I'm leaning towards cancellation. Sure, I'll miss the once a month fun of choosing, downloading and listening to new music, but it's nothing I can't learn to live with. I've been with eMusic long enough to recall getting 90 downloads for $19.99 a month, so this isn't nearly as big a hit as it was when the lopped off almost 45% of my available DL's without an accompanying price reduction. At some point you have to draw the line when they start messing around. I can guarantee you they've done the math and this new approach is going to make them more money, i.e. they're not making these changes with you in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mixed feelings about this. Some key indie rock labels have left, but the monstrous new jazz stuff is overwhelming. Not crazy about the new pricing structure, but I can get used to it.

A disturbing change seems to be that you can't re-download an album for free anymore. Although maybe they just didn't apply previous download credit in the new pricing arrangement. We'll see. OTOH, I rarely re-DL anything, anyway.

Mixed feelings about this. Some key indie rock labels have left, but the monstrous new jazz stuff is overwhelming. Not crazy about the new pricing structure, but I can get used to it.

A disturbing change seems to be that you can't re-download an album for free anymore. Although maybe they just didn't apply previous download credit in the new pricing arrangement. We'll see. OTOH, I rarely re-DL anything, anyway.

No free re-downloads? I have been doing this all the time at work when I want something to listen to. I just might cancel, since I thought this was Emusic's big advantage over other download stores. I have too much to listen to anyway.

The UK site has just changed from working by downloads to album pricing. They are honouring their existing members packages.

I had a £39 200 download package. They are charging me the same £39 but crediting me £84 a month! I think I got a good deal.

As yet the UK service doesn't have the major labels on board in the States but they are promising some major additions in the near future.

I just wish they'd find a way to separate out the bargin basement releases from the newer releases/orthodox reissues. A sort of 'bin' equivalent where you can root around for a 20 greatest Louis Armstrong album among the many on offer! At the moment negotiating the new additions can be tiresome.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

As far as I can tell, with the new pricing plan, all your previous downloads are no longer being honored (in case one needed to download a second time). Anyone else experience this? With this change, I am out of there. Just have a very few albums left in my queue and no interest in sticking around any longer.

As far as I can tell, with the new pricing plan, all your previous downloads are no longer being honored (in case one needed to download a second time). Anyone else experience this?

True. No more re-downloads.

But with UMG, there is a wealth of new jazz available. I'm still in for the time being.

But I'm not entirely clear about how purchasing works. If I have $6.49 and something costs more, do I need to buy a booster pack? Also, if I haven't spent $0.50 or more, do I lose that at the end of the month?

Uh oh...it looks like they're now using lower bit rates; see Message board. This might be it for me.

If the balance at the end of your billing period is $.49 or less, they will roll it over. Otherwise you would have to buy a booster pack - or just buy a single tune.

Don't know about the bit rate issue.