all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS1, depends how fast your connection is. ;) If it's slow you'll need a year to download everything; if it's fast you can do it in a few months. B)

Seriously, I canceled my subscription just this morning after four or five months (though I was also a 3-month member about two years ago). Not because I wasn't fond of the service, but because I realized that I downloaded over 600 albums in that time - most of them jazz - and that I didn't have time to listen to a fraction of them. There is so much great material on the site that it's mind-blowing.

If they add some new labels or upload a lot of new jazz titles, I'm sure I will join again in the future.

As to your other question about deleting or saving...

I don't like to listen to music on my computer so I burn as many albums as I can to CDR so I can listen to them at work or in the car. I find with many of the shorter OJCs that I can double them up by putting two on one disc - often making my own mini-Mosaic sets. B)

I generally keep the mp3s stored on my computer as long as there's room for them - just in case I lose the CDR and have to burn another. But if it turns out that I don't like a session all that much or if I'm simply running out of room I'll simply delete them as I need. Of course if you're a subscriber you can always download the album again...

SS1,

With my account, I've downloaded so many albums, but have only burned selected ones. I'm nearly done re-downloading albums in the new VBR Lame encoded versions now available on most titles. But they're probably taking up 20-25 GB of my hard drive, so I'm also in the process of archiving the MP3 files to cd as well; 7-10 cds worth on one cdr. This is rather time-consuming and tedious as well. Well, it can be, especially if you end up combining several different artists onto one cdr. I'd like to regain some disk space, and would hate to lose them if something bad happened to my PC. But you're certainly free to do whatever you like with them. If you burn them to a regular audio cd, sure you could delete the mp3 files. But you could also back up the mp3s to cd as well, so you'd never have to re-encode them again.

I've got more music now than I could possibly ever listen to, much less really get to know...

Quite a predicament...but when I finally stop buying so many cds all the time (gee, when will that be...?) I'll have plenty to listen to and discover.

Man, sometimes I wonder if I'm a music fan, or a just a music collector? And if so, how and when did that happen? Hopefully, it's just a phase. :w

> after you d/l an album and burn it, what next?

> do you delete the album or save it?

I've been leaving all the album's on my hard drive, with the intention of eventually burning all of them to CD-R's or RW's as a backup.

I haven't actually burned any of them yet, as I usually listen to them directly from the PC -- the sound card's line output is plugged into stereo system line in.

Another *wonderful* way to listen to all the stuff I've downloaded is the Archos Jukebox Recorder. 20 GB Harddrive, and with USB 2.0 support, my Emusic files get moved from PC to mobile MP3 device in record time!

The Archos is one of those things that definitely qualifies as "something I really didn't need", but now, especially after joining Emusic, has become indispensable. It is really nice to toss this little device in the car, knowing that most of my CD collection, and also my EMusic files are on there; plus I don't have to bring any CD's with me.

> should i've done the year?

I also signed up for the three month plan, with the intention of re-joining in a year or so, if they add any new, compelling titles. RDK is right -- I have a broadband connection, and so far I've downloaded around 300 songs -- I've listened to everything at least once, but it's going to take a considerable amount of time to absorb all of this.

I look at it this way - $45 for three months is *way* less than I spend in CD's on any given month. It was really a no-brainer to join, and I just hope they don't get greedy and turn it into something like some of the other services -- $1 per song, or worse.

I used to save them on my hard drive, but have stopped doing that for the most part.

Pretty much everything I d/l, I put on my Archos 20. Like Uncle Skid, I didn't "need" one, but since I use it at work, I realize that it has become indespensible. Since I'm pretty much of an eclectic listener, it's great to have access to dozens and dozens of CDs without having to actually haul them in to work.

Also, I initially signed up for the 3-month sub, but quickly realized that the yearly contract would be no problem. $10/month is "nothing", considering what's there.

Edited by BFrank

Houston Person's Savant albums are well worth the download, as are the Etta Jones albums on High Note.

Weizen mentioned Xanadu, and I second his recommendation, even though the sound is pretty bad. "Heavy Love," a duo of Al Cohn and Jimmy Rowles, is indispensable. In fact there's loads of great Zoot stuff and Al stuff on various labels (not much of them together).

should i d/l the box set or the single cds on mr. monk?

my monk collection is still weak.

also what do you do with all the cdrs after they've been burned?

do you have a big stack of them?

i bought the avery cd label kit and still haven't been able to make a cd case yet.

do you store them with your real cds?

ss1

what are some 5 star stuff on the classical side?

When i first started downloading albums (first from Napster, then legally with emusic ;) ) I would make labels and design cases for all of them....

But then it got much too time-consuming. So now I just write on the CDRs with a black or red sharpie and file them away in those white paper CD sleeves.

I know I should organize the discs together with my "real" CDs, but I just can't bring myself to do that. Part of it's because I'm still a CD-CDR snob, but it's also due to the fact that I know what I downloaded from emusic and where to find it... so I generally keep the CDRs separate. (Not unlike how I keep my Mosaic discs separate from the rest of my collection.)

I keep all my cdrs on a separate shelving unit from my purchased cds. I labelled them with a black Sharpee, and have hand-written all the song titles on accompanying slips of paper for more than 300 cdrs--something to do while each cdr burns. :w:eye::ph34r:

Glad I could help out, GA. I assume you're talking about the Timmons set. I was pretty surprised to find that one myself.

I'm hoping that their re-doing the software. That interface they had was pretty awkward. I liked the board, tough. It was very free-wheeling. Also a good source for recommendations.

Things have been pretty bad here today, too.

But, I did manage to get the three Gigi Gryce CD's this morning: Gigi Gryce And The Lab Quintet, The Hap'nin's, and The Rat Race Blues. Excellent stuff.

I've found that when the DLM just sits there for a long time, saying "Connecting to Peer", or "Requesting File", cancelling that track, and then resuming it will sometimes get things going again.

I'm attempting to get Sonny Stitt's "Soul Classic" now....

• 2 weeks later...