Longevity of the Hank Mobley Mosaic.

The Mobley set appears to have been around longer than any set Mosaic has offered. I wonder if the licensing may allow it to remain in print longer. Like many other sets, the Mobley is capped at 7500 copies. I would think it would have sold out quicker. I hope there are more than 7500 Mobley fans. The only older set is The Complete Benedetti Recordings of Charlie Parker, but there is no limit to the number of copies for this one.

I've wondered if the prevalence of Japanese issues of the individual LPs impacted the market. Such as a Hank-o-phile like myself, who went for all of the recordings before the Mosaic came out and in the end only got a copy of the booklet. These recordings weren't that hard to find if you were looking at the right time.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I've wondered if the prevalence of Japanese issues of the individual LPs impacted the market. Such as a Hank-o-phile like myself, who went for all of the recordings before the Mosaic came out and in the end only got a copy of the booklet. These recordings weren't that hard to find if you were looking at the right time.

That's where I was at. I had most of what was on the Mosaic before it came out and couldn't see my way to going for the box.

• 9 months later...

After almost two decades on the fence (this set came out in 1998!) - because I had most of this material in some form - I ordered the Hank Mobley 50s Mosaic set in the aftermath of the alarming reports about Mosaic a few months back. I chose the cheaper air mail option without tracking info; though my PayPal account was billed instantly it took a month before the set shipped and then two more weeks to get here, but anyway, now it's here.

The set has number 7037!

look i passed on the 30 dollar poppin i saw a few mos ago i know how hard it is to track down but for a 1979 lp i expected one in a little better shape there was some markings on side b that i really thought i should do better on.  so that and curtain call i dont have yet.

but even if i filled those last two in you still need the box for the stereo takes of was it "hank" or "hank mobley 1568"  

Reissuing all Mobley Blue Note sessions - those up to Peckin' Time in the box, the later ones as single CDs - is one of the lasting achievements of Michael Cuscuna in regard to the Blue Note catalog. IIRC he planned a box of the four sessions with Wynton Kelly, too - both Workout sessions, Roll Call, and Soul Station - but then the four were issued on single CDs. All of it is worth having, IMO. Get the box before it is too late. It is one of the few Mosaics I got before they went Running Low. 

14 hours ago, Face of the Bass said:

It's been a mystery to me why this box has lasted so long. It's great.

I suspect that outside of this forum Hank is not a known quantity.  Even for jazz fans he's probably best known for having his solos edited out of the first release of "At the Blackhawk". It's only the enthusiasm of people here which led me to finally order the Mosaic box. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 10:28 AM, Daniel A said:

After almost two decades on the fence (this set came out in 1998!) - because I had most of this material in some form - I ordered the Hank Mobley 50s Mosaic set in the aftermath of the alarming reports about Mosaic a few months back. I chose the cheaper air mail option without tracking info; though my PayPal account was billed instantly it took a month before the set shipped and then two more weeks to get here, but anyway, now it's here.

The set has number 7037!

Funny I just got mine last week and it's number is 6633.  Maybe they held it back till they got the other box I'd ordered.  It does look like they can only sell a few hundred more.  Surely it's the last available set where the booklet gives both the Lp and cd track lists. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OliverM said:

Just been offered this set as a birthday present, obviously from someone special!

It will be here soon, coming from JM in Barcelona. Can't wait!

Nice indeed!

I've had it for close to 20 years by now, I think ... and it has been a favourite for all this time and will continue to be so!

• 3 months later...