James Clay, Tom Kirkpatrick, Rein de Graaf Trio

fasstrack

Little known fact - when.James Clay died, his will specified that that particular sweater be made into a Tony Williams floor tom. It was headline news here, but I'm not sure about the extent of coverage it got elsewhere.

I like that drummer, btw. His shirt and Heavy's sweater combine to look like sky and sun.

Thanks for this; the only film footage I've ever seen of Clay. Used to go see him at Chumley's in Deep Ellum during this era. His bands often included Lyles West (IIRC) on bass and Dwayne Clemons on trumpet. Maybe Jim remembers who his steady drummer was back then [?]. Any way, I consider myself very fortunate to have ever seen the man play at all.

Edited by Joe

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not many...scheduling conflicts, mostly.

Does W.A. Richardson sound right, or had he died by then?

I don't recall ever seeing W. A. on those gigs, but, damn, that was a long time ago now. I do remember seeing Shelley Carrol jam with James with one night... he showed up to play in sweatpants!

Tommy Hopkins, maybe? Ted Wasser? Paul Guerro is unlikly, but not impossible. Trying to think of cats who could cut Clay's gig AND had Sundays off AND would be willing to do both at Chuley's pay scale.

Shelley & Chumley were buds back in the day, like, lock the doors and pour the bar type buddies. People were younger then...bonds were more easily formed. Sweatpants, no problem.