Chick Corea -The Sun / Marion Brown - Temps Fou Cd reissues

Harbour

3 hours ago, felser said:

Not familiar with either, but both look good on paper.  How is the Corea?  What else by him does it compare to?

Side 2 is very Circle-ish, Side 1 is heavy free bop with electric Milesian moments. Steve Grossman, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, and someone called Steve Jackson playing "miscellaneous instruments."

Edited by sambrasa
free bop of course, not hard bop

They aren't going to be cheap.  CDJapan listing them at $26+ on pre-order.  Thanks for the input on them, I will listen to what I can of them on youtube, but probably won't be shelling out the $ for either.  Part of the problem is that the exchange rate with Japan seems to have changed drastically since last time I ordered from CDJapan (about a year ago).

Nah as far as I can tell the exchange rate has gone up about 3 percent in favor of Japan. These are expensive because they are first issue SHM-CD in lp facsimile edition, they are always more expensive. These MAY get reissued in jewel case in a budget reissue later. . . considerably later. . . or may not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16-9-2016 at 4:50 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Here's something I wrote on the Brown -- actually, all three of the records he and Gunter Hampel produced in Europe at that time -- for Paris Transatlantic some years ago. 

Nice piece, Clifford.

One remark: the music of "Le Temps Fou" was actually never used by Camus. His film was released two years later (titled "Un Été sauvage") with a completely different soundtrack.

Marion Brown's European years are fascinating: I've read about live improvised music for avant-garde theatre, a recording session with a symphony orchestra, etc. I'm thankful for the records we have from these years, but any additional recordings would be wonderful.

• 1 month later...
On 29.9.2016 at 1:10 PM, corto maltese said:

One remark: the music of "Le Temps Fou" was actually never used by Camus. His film was released two years later (titled "Un Été sauvage") with a completely different soundtrack.

No, I do not think that would be right!

Film title sequence:

MUSIQUE DE

nino ferrer

FREE JAZZ DE

marion brown

barre phillips

Film credits:

Free Jazz

composé et interprété par

Marion Brown

Éditions Manèges

À la CONTREBASSE improvisations de

Barre Phillips

Éditions Manèges

Notes:

Barre Phillips is playing himself.

The film begins with title track „le temps fou“, taken from the orig. LP.

I have both: LP and Video.

27392156om.jpg

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Nice image!

But there is also an LP by Richard de Bordeaux and Daniel Beretta...

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of (although it's an EP rather than an LP):

R-1437929-1437855503-8850.jpeg.jpg

I always thought (and have read) that Camus substituted this "freakbeat" soundtrack for the free jazz soundtrack (like Ornette's Chappaqua soundtrack that was commissioned, but not used by Conrad Rooks). But I won't argue with optatio because he has seen the film and I haven't.

Anyway, thanks for the info, optatio! And how's the film?

Edited by corto maltese
typo

2 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

The November 30, 2016 release of Chick Corea's The Sun and Randy Weston's African Cookbook has been canceled by Universal Music Japan.  This is reflected on CD Japan's website.  The Marion Brown release Le Temps Fou is NOT similarly canceled.

Interesting. I pre-ordered the Corea from Amazon Japan and it's still showing on their website (here). Haven't heard anything from them yet. I wonder what the story is, whether it's been delayed or is never coming out.

6 hours ago, xybert said:

Interesting. I pre-ordered the Corea from Amazon Japan and it's still showing on their website (here). Haven't heard anything from them yet. I wonder what the story is, whether it's been delayed or is never coming out.

I ordered from hmv.co.jp and the order is still valid.  One thing though, they have shown no cover art for this reissue.  Dustygroove and some other sites have shown 2nd edition cover art, which is real ugly one, generic standardized cheapo version.  Should have done right and picked the original 1st issue cover art.

The cover art according to dustygroove. This is a Far East label series of reissues.

corea_chick_sun~~~~~~_101b.jpg

Original:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsFMEB6NQzEBcmBuW91lX

Kind of like Sony would finally do a long overdue remastered versions of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Vision of Emerald Beyond" or "Apocalypse" and released them with old ugly Contemporary Jazz Masters booklets.

Which is of course, a moot point if indeed it will be cancelled. 

Edited by sambrasa
another edit

17 hours ago, sambrasa said:

I ordered from hmv.co.jp and the order is still valid.  One thing though, they have shown no cover art for this reissue.  Dustygroove and some other sites have shown 2nd edition cover art, which is real ugly one, generic standardized cheapo version.  Should have done right and picked the original 1st issue cover art.

The cover art according to dustygroove. This is a Far East label series of reissues.

corea_chick_sun~~~~~~_101b.jpg

Original:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsFMEB6NQzEBcmBuW91lX

Kind of like Sony would finally do a long overdue remastered versions of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Vision of Emerald Beyond" or "Apocalypse" and released them with old ugly Contemporary Jazz Masters booklets.

Which is of course, a moot point if indeed it will be cancelled. 

Yeah the original cover art is way better. But as you say, it may not be happening now anyway. Still showing as being available for pre-order on Amazon Japan, but i wouldn't be surprised if they're a bit slow on the uptake and not take it down/notify people that have pre-ordered until the release date is reached and they realise that they don't/won't have the stock.

Let's say it has been cancelled; i wonder why? It always seemed odd to me that it had never been reissued on CD, which may come down to rights etc, but odder that it doesn't appear in discographies like Allmusic, Chick's discography listing in Wikipedia, and Chick's own website which is fairly exhaustive although does exclude some things.

Yeah, I think it probably is.

There were attempts to do the Colbeck a few times including with John Jack's Cadillac label and they never came to fruition, so I assume that Philips/Fontana must be uninterested in licensing it. Only one of the participants, Selwyn Lissack, is still alive and I know for a fact he wants the music out again. I almost wonder whether in situations like that it's better to just boot the damn thing and pay the musicians' estates/hold in escrow. I have a friend who did that with a couple of records he and the artist wanted reissued, but the conglomerates into which the releases passed wouldn't even return phone calls. 

Shit, so no use trying hmv.co.jp then, I guess?

I saw "Le Temps Fou" listed as "sold out" on cdjapan a few days back and that had me scratch my head already.

Fontana (Colbeck) and Polydor (Temps Fou) are both part of Universal, right? If 'merika had any sane cultural laws (but it has lost its sanity anyway, it seems), they would oust that dreaded company and do something about its jazz holdings and thus its cultural heritage (but wait, I guess they belong to a company located in Bermuda or on Guernsey or Delaware or whatdoIknow - all protected by 'merikin law again, and that part of the law, el toupe is unlikely going to change, I assume).