Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paul secor

Documentary Film on W. Eugene Smith's Jazz Loft

8 posts in this topic

There's a book by Sam Stephenson on the subject as well.  It's a large format book which is great for the photography and worth checking out of the subject interests you.  It was a very interesting life.

if someone ends up listening to the podcasts, could you let us know which podcast, if any, has roland kirk.

thank you

...All ten episodes of the Jazz Loft Radio Series will be available Friday, October 7

iTunes, WNYC.org, Stitcher, and wherever podcasts are available...

Stephenson also has a new book about Smith coming out next August.

This website was launched when the first book came out. It hasn't been updated in a while, but still has some good information in it.

The Jazz Loft Project

Just saw this film on Amazon Prime.  Maybe because I watched it in 2 sittings I thought it got more focused and more interesting in the second half.    The long section on the preparations for Monk's Town Hall concert is terrific as is the story of drummer Ron Free. 

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

Just saw this film on Amazon Prime.  Maybe because I watched it in 2 sittings I thought it got more focused and more interesting in the second half.    The long section on the preparations for Monk's Town Hall concert is terrific as is the story of drummer Ron Free. 

You may just have sorted this evening's viewing, thanks for alerting me to its presence on Prime