BFT 151 (October 2016) - Discussion Thread

JSngry

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, corto is on the money for 5, 7, & 10. Nicely played!

MG got #1, and almost everybody's gotten the two Mingus cuts (2 & 11) with Felser at the ready to ID it as a 45, not an LP...what are y'all hearing in that (past the surface noise, of course, probably from jukebox play, altjough, including that)? Several considerations, objectively real and "programmatic" within this specific program, and MG was sorta kinda on to something, backing into it, maybe? At the very least, being pulled into the gravitational field. :g

And there's no mistaking James Brown. But he's not here for that purpose, to simply be IDed. Randy & Felser both identified it as a remix. And really, a James Brown remix per se is hardly news, so again, that's not why it's here. So, why IS it here? Because...well, just listen to it!

The Anthony Davis piece is actually two full cuts and the beginning of a third (In real time performance order). Anybody who wants to play the "narrative" game, follow the gist of the lyrics as the go along, as well as things that happen in the music. Just sayin'...

#12...we have Ike, we have bowling alley, and I did play with tape recorders as a younger self. But sorry! LOL! MG is totally off chronologically and ezthetically as far as it being sourced from a hip-hop place, BUT...the very hiphoppish esthetic of recontextualizing an existing language to meet current personal needs (from both within and from and without)...THAT card would not be entirely misplayed were it to be played at all at several point along the way here.

The Star Trek bonus points are still up for grabs.

Also, a new offer - double miles for everybody who can connect the dots between Charlie Parker and Carol Burnett in four easy steps using one of the selections here.

Oh yes there is, and oh yes you can!

It is really good to hear Charles Mingus' "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting." I did not know that it had been released on a two part 45 rpm single.

It made me think, when I got into jazz in the 1970s, it would have been almost impossible for a jazz fan to not know that song. Mingus was so prominent in the jazz discussion. Now, as the decades have passed, I can imagine newer or younger listeners not being familiar with it.

James Brown's "Superbad" also sounds so good. I saw him perform it live in the spring of 1981.

I am not familiar with the rest of your test, but I am enjoying it and will listen repeatedly. I like the spoken word selections.

3 – This is right up my alley. Brittle, Stravinsky-like instrumentation, and also lots of Stravinsky in the jumpy rhythms, but it isn't him. Where did the Shortnin' Bread quote come from? The sung text makes me think of Tippett.

4 – Some sort of highly creative JB remix. I'm in.

5 – Partch instruments? Or some highly prepared pianos? I guess the ending answers that question, it's piano.

6 – The Spanish tinge in a piano-violin-cello trio. They play the hell out of it.

7 – Someday historians will look back on our time in music and nickname it the Period In Which Mallet Instruments Were Waaaaay Overused. But the overall effect here is something else. I'm impressed.

8 -- I love thrift-store motivational records.

9 – Despite the bari, this goes on longer than its ideas, I'm afraid. (I'm in the mood for density.)

10 – This sounded like an Anthony Davis thing, and sure enough it is. Google "Anthony Davis There Never Was a Revolution" and see it on YouTube.

12 – Bowling For Speeches was my favorite TV show.

Opinions will vary, but this is one of my all-time favorite BFTs.

10 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

3 –...Where did the Shortnin' Bread quote come from? The sung text makes me think of Tippet.

Yeah, where DID that come from????

Tell you what...source the text, then work from there. You can get that question answered, guaranteed.

10 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

8 -- I love thrift-store motivational records.

whoa...dude...

11 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

Opinions will vary, but this is one of my all-time favorite BFTs.

...whoa...dude...again! That's as gratifying as it is humbling. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

ThIere's more than a littleThreadgill in track 9... but it can't be Threadgill.

Could track 8 possibly be from this recording?

R-2055836-1261280017.jpeg.jpg

You would think so, but, nope.

As for 9...the title of the piece is a direct response to 8, and can be discerned/deduced from the main motif...it sounds like what it is.

It's a 45, but that is the guy, Napoleon Hill. You got it!

Reading his biography, it turns out that he was a pretty high profile guy in his day, many business and political leaders took him and his philosophy seriously. I think he actually consulted a Predident or two. With stuff like this. Think about that.

I have searched in vain for a picture of his son Blair.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:40 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Sounds like a bunch of classical musicians helpfully trying to realise some jazz musician’s ideas of what classical music OUGHT to be.

Ok, back home, more time and bandwidth now...I don't know what this means, really don't. Care to elaborate? Or not?

Perhaps the aim is simply to communicate an idea in an organically evolved language that is formed by various inputs.

One thing that is becoming apparent to me is that if you live in a world that is not completely cut off from other worlds, it takes more effort to be isolated from other voices than it does to be touched by them. A helluva lot more effort. Perhaps even an unnatural amount of effort.

As that pertains to, specifically, "jazz" and "classical" in today's world, well...The Afro-Eurasian Ellipse Effect is not an illusion.

I feel confident in saying that none of the selections I included are driven by one music telling another how/what it "OUGHT to be". That kind of thought process is really...uh...unfamiliar to me, except for the occasional megalomaniacs and other anti-social types.

Most people just have the goal of getting their music to be played how they'd like it to be played. That's a life's work right there.

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

:g

Well, it's kinda like there's a bit of this and a bit of that here and there and not at all clear to me what the aim is.

MG

Where/What are you looking for the aim to be?

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

Perhaps the aim is simply to communicate an idea in an organically evolved language that is formed by various inputs.

One thing that is becoming apparent to me is that if you live in a world that is not completely cut off from other worlds, it takes more effort to be isolated from other voices than it does to be touched by them. A helluva lot more effort. Perhaps even an unnatural amount of effort.

As that pertains to, specifically, "jazz" and "classical" in today's world, well...The Afro-Eurasian Ellipse Effect is not an illusion.

I feel confident in saying that none of the selections I included are driven by one music telling another how/what it "OUGHT to be". That kind of thought process is really...uh...unfamiliar to me, except for the occasional megalomaniacs and other anti-social types.

Most people just have the goal of getting their music to be played how they'd like it to be played. That's a life's work right there.

Where/What are you looking for the aim to be?

Dunno Jim. I just don't get that music.

MG

Well, yeah, there is.

Don't care if you don't like it, don't expect that, but that's opinion. On that you can't be wrong.

The presence of melodies, themes,  all that stuff, it's there. Singable, writable, provable, concrete existence, not abstacted impression. That's kinda the point, to follow those melodies where and how they go.

As long as I can remember, the unfamiliar has been met by people who claim there's no "there" there, be it rock & roll, psychedelic, jazz, free jazz, on and on and on and on. Just a lot of racket, no point to it, silly wankers, makes no sense, blahblahblah, same reactions no matter what the musics are, if I don't recognize it, it's not real.

And yet musics keep happening, being played and being heard. For things that supposedly aren't there, there keeps being a lot of things there, more and more things, more and more theres. So, all those people staying at home thinking that that was the only place that could ever, possibly, be real...looks like they were wrong.

I get "I can't hear it", I really do. Track 3 on this set, it took me 6 weeks of intense listening for all the detail to finally even begin to really pop out. And no, I don't expect anybody to do that unless they really feel like it. 

But - the detail IS there. If anybody goes looking for it, they will find it. If you don't want to get to it for whatever reason, fine. I don't like to work that hard myself unless the inspiration moves me. So , yeah, that much I get, not motivated to pursue.

Believe me, that can come from over-familiarity just as easily as it can from total unfamiliarity. Signing off...

Past that, thank you for participating. If you should so desire, your purchase price will be cheerfully refunded, minus a small deduction for shipping and handling.

But first, would you like to try for the Charlie Parker to Carol Burnett in four easy steps bonus points? That'll get you a full refund, including the S&H.

Your complete satisfaction is our only goal, so please call now to take advantage of this offer. Operators ARE standing by!