Today's clarinetists

Milestones

Recently I caught Eddie Daniels at Oberlin College, and I really liked the show.  I'd never been much into Daniels. I had just one of his albums on vinyl, with nothing on CD or digital download.  Maybe it was the GRP thing in the 80s.  The tune selection at the concert was generally not imaginative, though there was a lovely piece from Sweeney Todd.  The man can play (and has a very pleasant stage presence), and it's hard to believe he is nearly 75.

Otherwise, I have one record by Don Byron (though also some prominent sideman appearances), one by Anat Cohen, and a handful by Ken Peplowski.  They are all fine players, and I'm feeling I need to explore all of them--plus, I am sure, several more. 

Despite some attempts to revitalize it, the clarinet still has very low visibility in jazz.  I suppose that's not likely to change.  But it's worthwhile to seek out the players (most of whom, I've noticed, double or triple on other instruments).

Ken Peplowski is really something -- heard him years ago in an, as you say, fairly unimaginative context but seeing him more recently in some of Allen Lowe's projects has brought out another side of his playing. Precision, creativity, and an incredible tone.

Though working more in an avant-garde realm, James Falzone -- who's in the process of relocating to Seattle from a long time in Chicago -- is extraordinary as well. His music often straddles the line between contemporary composition, free music, Giuffre, De Franco, and for want of a better term, "Middle Eastern" musics.

Jeremiah Cymerman is also an excellent player, though his work -- which often employs electronics and harsh noise elements -- is perhaps not for the faint of heart.

7 hours ago, Milestones said:

Recently I caught Eddie Daniels at Oberlin College, and I really liked the show.  I'd never been much into Daniels. I had just one of his albums on vinyl, with nothing on CD or digital download.  Maybe it was the GRP thing in the 80s.  The tune selection at the concert was generally not imaginative, though there was a lovely piece from Sweeney Todd.  The man can play (and has a very pleasant stage presence), and it's hard to believe he is nearly 75.

Otherwise, I have one record by Don Byron (though also some prominent sideman appearances), one by Anat Cohen, and a handful by Ken Peplowski.  They are all fine players, and I'm feeling I need to explore all of them--plus, I am sure, several more. 

Despite some attempts to revitalize it, the clarinet still has very low visibility in jazz.  I suppose that's not likely to change.  But it's worthwhile to seek out the players (most of whom, I've noticed, double or triple on other instruments).

Ken Peplowski's British colleague, Alan Barnes.

Barnes13.jpg

9 hours ago, relyles said:

I also cosign the previous recommendations of James Falzone. The KLANG recordings are an excellent and generally accessible introduction to his clarinet playing.

One of the Klang albums has a piece dedicated to me, "Alone at the Brain," because James used to see me seated at a table by myself at the Hungry Brain, listening to the music:

On 9/29/2016 at 11:42 AM, relyles said:

I also cosign the previous recommendations of James Falzone. The KLANG recordings are an excellent and generally accessible introduction to his clarinet playing.

I saw Falzone's Renga Ensemble, with Ken Vandermark, Jason Stein, Dave Rempis, Keefe Jackson and Ned Rothenberg, and I was very impressed with his composing, playing and overall group concept and execution.   Besides Falzone, I also second the recommendations of ICP members Ab Baars and Michael Moore, who are remarkably versatile and intriguing musicians.

One name that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Canadian clarinetist Phil Nimmons, who has been a wonderful soloist, composer and arranger for decades.  If he were an American, he'd be an easy choice for NEA Jazz Master.  

Don't know why I didn't mention Alex Ward (who also plays guitar) before, but I am now. He's worked with Duck Baker, Weasel Walter, our own Alexander Hawkins, and other iconoclasts. His group Forebrace reminds me a little of the Rolf Kühn free-fusion axis, as it's organized around clarinet, guitar, electric bass and drums.

Xavier Charles and Jacques Di Donato, different generations and Di Donato played in classical formations for a long time (a historic recording of Messiaen's Quatuor pour la fin du temps directed by the composer for instance). They were recorded together for French radio last year and can be watched and listened here:

http://www.francemusique.fr/emission/l-improviste/2015-2016/duo-jacques-di-donato-et-xavier-charles-enregistre-radio-france-11-07-2015-23-00

Sylvain Kassap

Rudi Mahall

Joachim Badenhorst

Edited by OliverM

• 2 weeks later...