BFT150 - The answers

The Magnificent Goldberg

BFT150 Answers

Well, my goodness, 20 correct answers out of 23. Bloomin’ ‘eck, Tucker!

The ones no one got were

#9, though if Jim Sangrey were drunk and in a funny mood, what he said MIGHT have indicated that he knew it, but he didn’t say so J

Randy Herson got the theme. OK, he said the links between pop music and jazz, and I think of it in terms of jazz being just another kind of pop music, before WWII the most important kind, so that most other forms of pop music that have come along since have been influenced by it. But we mean the same kind of thing, I think.

1 Camille Howard – Goldberg boogie – Specialty SPCD7062 (Extemporaneous boogie).

Recording date & personnel undocumented.

OK, this IS in the BFT because of the title. It’s been waiting its turn for years! Camille was the pianist with Roy Milton’s Solid Senders in the forties. She was a reasonably good vocalist, too. She notched up four minor R&B hits.

Hot Ptah got this one. I was somewhat amazed to see anyone knew it.

2 Willis Jackson – Y’all – Prestige PR7273 (Loose). NYC, 26 Mar 1963.

Willis Jackson (ts), Frank Robinson (tp), Carl Wilson (org), Bill Jones (g), Joe Hadrick (Yusef Ali) (d)

This track from Gator’s first LP with his new working band after Brother Jack left (though Pat Martino hadn’t yet joined), was orphaned. When the album was issued as part of the twofer ‘After hours’, it was omitted due to lack of space. Various bloggers have claimed that another Willis Jackson tune of the same name, which was recorded about a year earlier, on the LP ‘Willis Jackson cooks with Johnny Hammond Smith’ is the track from ‘Loose’, but it’s an almost exactly different tune.

Jim Sangrey got this one.

3 Gene McDaniels – Straight no chaser – Liberty LST7311 (The wonderful world of Gene McDaniels). LA, 1963.

Arr/cond  Marty Paich. Others unknown.

I hate labels like Liberty and MGM, because they just don’t think customers are interested in who’s playing on their albums. They spend a fortune producing and marketing, and can’t be asked to get someone to put the details on the sleeve, even when there’s tons of space. And yet we can hear there are some damn good jazz musicians playing here. Rant over.

Jim Sangrey got this one, after phoning a friend.

Thom got it WITHOUT phoning a friend!

4 Ben E King – In the midnight hour/Lay lady lay – Maxwell ML88001 (Rough edges).

Probably New York, probably 1970. Arr Bob Crewe & Hutch Davie. No further details.

And here’s another of ‘em. I like this album. I don’t think anyone’s really worked out what kind of singer Ben E King was, taking him in the round. I think he was maybe a pop singer, who could do a bit of this, a bit of that, all of it somewhere between pretty good and excellent.

5 Jimmy Dawkins – Chitlin’s con carne – Delmark DS641 (Blisterstring). Chicago, 1976.

Jimmy Dawkins (g), Jimmy Johnson (rh g), Sonny Thompson (p), Sylvester Boines (b), Tyrone Centuray (d)

Jim R got this one. Good listening. I had the feeling it would be you who got this.

6 Louis Jordan – Azure-te  Decca 28211 (from Let the good times roll – Bear Family 15557). NYC, 30 April 1952.

Louis Jordan (as, voc), Bob Mitchell (tp), Jimmy Peterson (p), Bert Payne (g), Bob Bushnell (b), Charlie Rice (d)

Louis’ hit-making days had been over for almost a year, when he recorded this. I don’t think he was looking for hits any more.

Jim R gave the first correct answer in the BFT to this one!

7 Etta Jones – Misery is a thing called Moe – Victor 20-7282. NYC, 8 Oct 1947.

Etta Jones (voc), Budd Johnson (ts), Luther Henderson (p, ldr), Herman Mitchell (g), Trigger Alpert (b), Denzil Best (d)

See #15.

Jim Sangrey got this one – I think, because he didn’t say really J.

8 Sam ‘The Man’ Taylor – It’s a lonesome old town – MGM SE4066 (Mist of the Orient). Prob Tokyo, 1962.

Sam "The Man" Taylor (ts), Norio Maeda (arr), others uncredited.

This album was reissued a couple of years ago, with ten bonus tracks. It’s ALL good, despite being lounge music, so get it while you can.

Jim Sangrey got this one, after a bit of thought.

9 Rufus Thomas – Fine and mellow – Stax 45-140 (B side of Walkin’ the dog). Memphis, 17 Jun 1963.

Rufus Thomas (voc), Wayne Jackson (tp), Charles ‘Packy’ Axton (ts), Floyd Newman (bars), Booker T Jones (p, org), Steve Cropper (g), Lewis Steinberg (b), Al Jackson (d)

I bought this single the day it came out and I’ve still got the same copy. And it was because of THIS side, not the A side.

10 Koko Taylor – Blue Prelude – Checker unreleased. First issued on ‘What it takes’ 2 LP set 1991.Prob Chicago, 1967.

I don’t have a discography of Koko’s work, so I don’t know when it was recorded, but it sounds just like the session at which she recorded ‘Insane asylum’ which appeared in 1967.

Jim Sangrey got this one, with help from Mr Google.

11 Gene McDaniels – The old country - Liberty LST7311 (The wonderful world of Gene McDaniels). LA, 1963.

Arr/cond  Marty Paich. Others unknown.

See #3 above.

Jim Sangrey got this one, too, with friendly help.

Thom got it WITHOUT phoning a friend! But he actually KNEW Gene McDaniels! This Forum amazes me!

12 Little Richard – Get rich quick – RCA Victor 20-4582. Atlanta, 16 Oct 1951.

Willie Mays (tp, ldr), Albert Dobbins (as), Fred Jackson (ts), J Hudson (bars), J Wimby (p), George Holloway Jr (b), Donald J Clark (d)

Well, thumbs down to all of you who didn’t recognise Hurricane Fred Jackson.

13 Big Al Dupree – The thing and I – Fedora FCD5007 (Positive thinking). Dallas, 29 Apr 1998.

Big Al Dupree (ts, p), Hash Brown (g), Charles Nugent (b), T J Johnson (d)

And shame on Jim Sangrey for not recognising a local guy.

14 Ben E King – My foolish heart – Atco 33-137 (Songs for soulful lovers). NYC 21 Dec 1961.

Ben E. King (voc), Joe Newman, Ernie Royal (tp), Romeo Penque (fl, as), Seldon Powell (ts), Paul Griffin, Robert Mosely (p), Don Arnone, Al Caiola (g), Wendell Marshall (b), Gary Chester (d), Bob Rosengarden, Joe Venuto (perc), unidentified 11 strings, Claus Ogerman (director)

See #4 above.

Jim Sangrey got this one, after a bit of work.

15 Etta Jones – Among my souvenirs – Victor 20-1998. New York, June 11, 1946.

Etta Jones (vcl) acc by George Treadwell (tp) Dickie Harris (tb) Budd Johnson (ts) Jimmy Jones (p) Al McKibbon (b) J.C. Heard (d & ldr)

These two Etta Jones sessions for Victor are really weird. These aren’t the only strange songs she did on those days. I simply CANNOT imagine what the company was thinking to get this newish singer to sing this really off the wall material. Almost all of the other tracks done at the three Victor sessions: 11 Jun ’46; 11 Mar ’47; 8 Oct ’47; are odd in some way. One of them’s a lullaby!

Surely SOMEONE was buying them, because they invited her back TWICE! But my mind just boggles. Or maybe not. Maybe there was an administrative cock-up at Victor, for which Etta paid the price – it looks as if Victor spread the word about her, because it was nearly ten years before she got another record date.

16 The Raelettes – Leave my man alone – Tangerine TRC1515 (Yesterday…Today…Tomorrow). LA, 1971.

The Raelettes (Vernita Moss (lead), Susaye Green, Mabel John, Dorothy Berry, Estella Yarborough, voc), Ray Charles (kbds)

As far as I know, this and ‘Try a little kindness’ are the only two Raelettes songs on which Vernita sang lead.

17 Arthur Prysock – Close your eyes – Old Town 2007 (Everlasting songs for everlasting lovers). NYC, 1964.

With Mort Garson’s band.

Jim R got this one first, too.

18 Earl Grant – Azure – Decca DL74338 (Midnight sun). LA, 1962.

Earl Grant (org), Plas Johnson (ts), others unk.

And here’s another one. I’ve got a soft spot for Earl Grant and a VERY soft spot for Plas.

19 Gloria Lynne – Stormy Monday Blues – Everest LPBR 5022 (Miss Gloria Lynne). NYC, 1 Nov 1958.

Gloria Lynne (vcl), Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp) Sam "The Man" Taylor (ts) Eddie Costa (vib) Wild Bill Davis (org) Kenny Burrell (g) Milt Hinton (b) or George Duvivier (b) , Tommy Bryant (b) Jo Jones (d)

Wild Bill Davis probably also plays piano, possibly overdubbed.

This is from Gloria’s first album, which has been reissued fairly recently and is very good all the way through. It’s the best one she did for Everest, although the two live ones she did with the one and only Herman Foster are pretty good.

20 Fatback Band – Give me one more chance – Perception PLP28 (Let’s do it again). NYC, 1972.

George Williams (tp), George Adams (fl, ts), Earl Shelton (ts), Johnny King (g), Johnny Flippin’ (b), Bill Curtis (d, perc), Wayne Wilford (cga)

Bill Curtis was the leader of this band which made lots more worse records than their first album. Aficionados of Mainstream’s soul jazz albums will know he was in a co-operative quartet with Charles Williams (as), Bubba Brooks (ts) and Don Pullen (org). I’ve often wondered whether Adams and Pullen knew each other from way back or if it was through Bill Curtis they got to know each other.

21 Red Prysock – There will never be another you – Forum Circle FC9083. Unknown personnel, location & date, but prob 1964.

This is kind of unknown. BSN says the Forum Circle label was some kind of label connected to Roulette. Morris Levy did every fiddle under the sun, so it’s not surprising this is very dim. I wonder if anyone got paid for the session or if they just didn’t get shot.

Funny that Jim S was going to put this on one of his BFTs, too.

He got this one, of course.

22 Ray Bryant – Congolese children – Sue 1033 (Cold turkey). NYC, 1964.

Ray Bryant (p), Tommy Bryant (b), Walter Perkins (d), Big Black (perc)

I don’t know why Ray Bryant’s recordings for Sue and Cadet are so out of jazz enthusiast’s ken. Any suggestions, anyone?

Randy got this one, after some intelligent research.

23 Eddie ‘Cleanhead’ Vinson – Mr Cleanhead steps out – Mercury 2031. NYC, Dec 1945.

Ellis "Stumpy" Whitlock, John Hunt, Joe Bridgewater (tp), Leon Comegys, Rip Tarrant (tb), Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Frank Dominguez, Ernest "Lee" Turner (as), Lee Pope, Red Carmen (ts), Greely Walton (bars), Earl Van Riper (p), Leonard Swain (b), Gus Johnson (d)

We all do keep forgetting that Cleanhead was a Bebop pioneer who gave it up in favour of R&B and making money.

MG

I forgot to finish Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson properly :)

Here's 'Floogie boo' which Eddie and Cootie wrote.

Cootie, Cleanhead, Jaws, Bud Powell, Norman Keenan, Vess Payne. 4 Jan 1944.

Cleanhead was also in Cootie's band when the original version of 'Epistrophy' was recorded, April Fool's day 1942.

MG

4 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I forgot to finish Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson properly :)

Here's 'Floogie boo' which Eddie and Cootie wrote.

Cootie, Cleanhead, Jaws, Bud Powell, Norman Keenan, Vess Payne. 4 Jan 1944.

Cleanhead was also in Cootie's band when the original version of 'Epistrophy' was recorded, April Fool's day 1942.

MG

On my 2011 BFT #92, I included a January 6, 1944, recording of "Honeysuckle Rose" by Cootie Williams with Eddie Vinson and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, on which Bud Powell takes a bebop solo. This may be the first recording of pure bebop on an official studio release. So I understand what you mean about Vinson!

That BFT #92 is also when I included a Camille Howard track. That was five years ago? It doesn't seem possible.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Well, no, though that was done at the same session as 'Floogie boo'. But in April 1942 Cootie's big band, with Eddie on alto, recorded 'Fly right' which was 'Epistrophy'.

Cootie's band was in the centre of all three major developments of jazz during the war: mainstream; bebop; and R&B. A VERY interesting band. Later, he was the employer of a succession if tenor players every bit as interesting in their own way as Jaws: Sam 'The Man' Taylor; William 'Weasel' Parker; and Willis 'Gator Tail' Jackson. Hit the Honkers thread for a listen to Typhoon with Weasel Parker driving Cootie's band crazy. I'm sure you'll know 'Gator Tail' pts 1 & 2, but they're there, too.

MG

9 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

20 Fatback Band – Give me one more chance – Perception PLP28 (Let’s do it again). NYC, 1972.

George Williams (tp), George Adams (fl, ts), Earl Shelton (ts), Johnny King (g), Johnny Flippin’ (b), Bill Curtis (d, perc), Wayne Wilford (cga)

Bill Curtis was the leader of this band which made lots more worse records than their first album. Aficionados of Mainstream’s soul jazz albums will know he was in a co-operative quartet with Charles Williams (as), Bubba Brooks (ts) and Don Pullen (org). I’ve often wondered whether Adams and Pullen knew each other from way back or if it was through Bill Curtis they got to know each other.

George Adams and Don Pullen  reportedly met at the Royal Peacock on Auburn Avenue in Atlanta in the 1960s when Adams was playing with Sam Cooke and Pullen was with some R & B band.

"10 Koko Taylor – Blue Prelude – Checker unreleased. First issued on ‘What it takes’ 2 LP set 1991.Prob Chicago, 1967.

I don’t have a discography of Koko’s work, so I don’t know when it was recorded, but it sounds just like the session at which she recorded ‘Insane asylum’ which appeared in 1967."

I didn't participate - not my thing - but here's some info:

Recorded 1972 with Gene Barge: ts; Lafayette Leake: p; Mighty Joe Young, Reggie Boyd: g; Louis Satterfield: b; Clifton James: d.

10 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

13 Big Al Dupree – The thing and I – Fedora FCD5007 (Positive thinking). Dallas, 29 Apr 1998.

Big Al Dupree (ts, p), Hash Brown (g), Charles Nugent (b), T J Johnson (d)

And shame on Jim Sangrey for not recognising a local guy

Eh.....shame on them for making that record with such piss-poor production qualities.

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

"10 Koko Taylor – Blue Prelude – Checker unreleased. First issued on ‘What it takes’ 2 LP set 1991.Prob Chicago, 1967.

I don’t have a discography of Koko’s work, so I don’t know when it was recorded, but it sounds just like the session at which she recorded ‘Insane asylum’ which appeared in 1967."

I didn't participate - not my thing - but here's some info:

Recorded 1972 with Gene Barge: ts; Lafayette Leake: p; Mighty Joe Young, Reggie Boyd: g; Louis Satterfield: b; Clifton James: d.

Thank you very much, Paul.

So, now we ALL know. Not the same session as 'Insane asylum', and Daddy G on tenor. The usual suspects elsewhere.

MG

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Eh.....shame on them for making that record with such piss-poor production qualities.

You mean, you'd have got it had it been better produced?

MG

Well done, MG.  I can't say I got too much out of the things that were new to me (or even some of the things that I recognized... never was much of a Dawkins fan), but the challenges were interesting, and you handle the leader position very nicely.

Your comments about Track 15 make me really want to get this Etta Jones Victor material. I love the off the wall lyrics and if there are more songs by her as strange as this, I have to have them.

i have already ordered the Sam The Man Taylor album.

This BFT is a real favorite of mine.

Edited by Hot Ptah

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:10 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

You can get a download of the Chronological Etta Jones 1944-47 from Amazon. Unfortunately, it comes without sleeve notes, as all Amazon downloads do. I'll send you the discographies of those sessions, if you let me know you're going that route.

MG

Thank you for that offer. I found a CD on Amazon for a reasonable price, and have ordered that. So I will not need the discographies, assuming that they come with the CD.

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Good. You might let me know who got the composing credits for the RCA Victor sessions, when you get a minute, Bill.

Enjoy!

MG

I will be happy to do that.

I can't stop playing this Blindfold Test in my car. It has become my soundtrack for long car rides.

Shame on me. I overlooked it was you doing that BFT, or I would have participated. Shame on me. Sounds all pretty darn interesting.

That said: Is there still a download link somewhere? Seems I need to get one for the car, too.

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Good. You might let me know who got the composing credits for the RCA Victor sessions, when you get a minute, Bill.

Enjoy!

MG

My "Chronological Classics, Etta Jones 1944-1947" CD  has arrived today. As you requested, here are the composing credits listed in the CD booklet, for the RCA Victor sessions:

Blues to End All Blues  (Williams)

Among My Souvenirs (Nichols)

Mean to Me (Ahlert-Turk)

Osculate Me, Daddy  (Cannon)

My Sleepy Head  (unknown)

I Sold My Heart to the Junkman (Rene-Rene)

The Richest Guy in the Graveyard (Palmer-Hedges)

Ain't No Hurry Baby (Rhodes-Saxon)

What Ev'ry Woman Knows (Osser-Osser)

Overwork Blues (Williams)

Misery Is a Thing Called Joe (Feather-Feather)

This is a Fine Time (Coben-Harris)

Edited by Hot Ptah