Our C.J. Shearn and moi in podcast

fasstrack

Was interviewed today for jazz blog/podcast by journalist (our) C.J. Shearn, a very sweet person and jazz supporter. I don't know the name of the show, but it will be onlne in around a week. Perhaps Mr. Shearn will inform us.

I told C.J. prior to doing it that what I wanted to happen was I would talk about the elders like Barry Harris, C. Sharpe, Tommy Turrentine---who helped me become the musician and man I am still becoming. THEN, and only then, time permitting I would talk about myself and what I'm doing. It was a great, freewheeling conversation and went exactly according to plan.

I even was allowed to upbraid two morons sticking in my craw for some time: jazz 'journalist' Howard Mandel and media airhead Charlie Rose. Mandel for showing his world-class ineptitude writing liner notes for Jazz Loft (double CD of David X. Young recordings at his loft) by not doing even basic research and calling the Jazz Cultural Theater (where I learned so much from masters, moron) and even getting the location wrong. Good luck on your brilliant career, Howard. Charlie Rose has a nice Rolodex, and (I hear) is a hit with the ladies. But when he interviewed Tom Harrell he turned it into a freak show, and showed his ignorance of art, music and Tom Harrell. Nice going, airhead.

'Forgive them, Father, they no not what they do'.

But, more importantly, I was able to 'flesh out' in my fashon C., Tommy, Jaki Byard---and the great man I met them through, Mr. Barry Harris.

Thank you, C.J., for giving me a platform to try to correct the historical record about some men, giants in my eyes, left out of jazz history books by 'experts'. You did a beautiful thing...

Sorry you feel left out Joel. I've never listened to a podcast, and haven't been reading any blogs this century, so I haven't heard this one. Hope it was a great experience for you both. C.J. is a passionate critic and interviewer, I bet it was. When I have time today I'll see if I can find the blog entry.

Edit to add:

Seems nothing has been released  yet from the interview? Will look forward to reading it.

Edited by jazzbo

Here is the segment of our interview with Joel discussing Tommy Turrentine.  I decided after editing, and due to tumblr's file size restrictions to divide parts of our interview into chunks, coming weekly.  At some point I'll get into software that transcribes audio, as people who cannot access podcasts will want to read the written interview.  This podcast was for my blog and not New York Jazz Workshop's blog. 

http://bit.ly/2e0Cxiq

Edited by CJ Shearn

1 hour ago, CJ Shearn said:

Here is the segment of our interview with Joel discussing Tommy Turrentine.  I decided after editing, and due to tumblr's file size restrictions to divide parts of our interview into chunks, coming weekly.  At some point I'll get into software that transcribes audio, as people who cannot access podcasts will want to read the written interview.  This podcast was for my blog and not New York Jazz Workshop's blog. 

When completed I wish to have 1 contiguous copy I can post on the web, OK?

7 hours ago, sonnymax said:

I certainly won't be shamed into listening to this, however good it might be. Bad form, Joel.

what are you, 12 years old? Silly stuff. Joel is entitled to express a little annoyance. Having put on event after event in NYC over the last ten years with virtually no response from the Organissimmo NYC contingent, I identify with his frustration. Joel is an artist, and entitled to a little bit of respect.

Then it's time to find a new line of work. Both of you. 

"Entitled to a little respect"?! That sums up just how delusional you are. 

I get the whole "sensitive artist" thing, but that doesn't excuse whining like a little bitch because you didn't get the kudos that YOU were expecting from everyone else. 

Put your shit out there, and let others do with it what they will. If you get no feedback, too fucking bad. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think it's CJ who deserves a little respect here. The dude's trying to create meaningful Web content, not host a floating psychodrama.

Let's all have a lovely day...

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think it's CJ who deserves a little respect here. The dude's trying to create meaningful Web content, not host a floating psychodrama.

Reported...

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Then it's time to find a new line of work. Both of you. 

"Entitled to a little respect"?! That sums up just how delusional you are. 

I get the whole "sensitive artist" thing, but that doesn't excuse whining like a little bitch because you didn't get the kudos that YOU were expecting from everyone else. 

Put your shit out there, and let others do with it what they will. If you get no feedback, too fucking bad. 

Reported...

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Always good to learn more about Tommy T. Thanks!

Thank you for getting my entire point...

12 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Thank you. Bless you...

Edited by fasstrack

3 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

what are you, 12 years old? Silly stuff. Joel is entitled to express a little annoyance. Having put on event after event in NYC over the last ten years with virtually no response from the Organissimmo NYC contingent, I identify with his frustration. Joel is an artist, and entitled to a little bit of respect.

Thank you! Actually, I met you here; Peter Johnson (hope that's right) came to a gig; our wonderful friend in jazz Lazaro Vega turned  me on to the joint and helped hook up a 2004 tour; Jim Afredson is a fine musician and good guy. Jim Sangrey is probably OK, just (like myself) sometimes has diararhea fingers---an excess of energy, understandable. Scott Dolan and whoever else resorted to name-calling: There is an 'Ignore' function. Look into it---as I am going to do right now. 

Whoever wants to listen, please do so at your convenience. No one owes me or anyone else a blessed thing.

Thank you for your support. Gotta run...

If no one owes you anything, then why the pity party thread in which you proclaimed how hurt you were that nobody responded to you? 

Or that you were "reaching out to an administrator"? For what? Hoping they would enforce participation? And if you didn't hear back you were going to leave? 

Your petulance and lack of self awareness is truly astonishing. 

I read, like, 5 or 6 reports about 2 posts, looked in vain for anything to resolve in any of them, and then logged them all as Completed. That's punishment enough, on a Saturday morning, not even finishing the first cup, doing that on a phone.

But my screen all of a sudden has this big red square with a 5 in it, so hey, who knows, maybe it was something else, people often report legit issues, violations, and problems, real shit that requires real attention, not gonna know unless you look. And that big red square doesn't go away until you log the items as Completed.

So hey, kids, please don't call 911 to complain about your Big Mac not having enough cheese on it. We're civilians here, not the goddamned Big Mac Police.

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Just listened to it. So Tommy pissed it all away on drugs..knew that. Was his famous brother supporting him financially after he stopped making a living from music?

That part is none of my business. I only can talk about what I know.

And thank you for listening...

Edited by fasstrack

On 10/8/2016 at 1:11 PM, JSngry said:

But my screen all of a sudden has this big red square with a 5 in it, so hey, who knows, maybe it was something else, people often report legit issues, violations, and problems, real shit that requires real attention, not gonna know unless you look. And that big red square doesn't go away until you log the items as Completed.

Maybe your phone's been possessed by the ghost of Charles Demuth?

hb_49.59.1.jpg

• JSngry locked this topic