Our C.J. Shearn and moi in podcast

fasstrack

11 hours ago, l p said:

did a piece of your brain fall out? no one is entitled to respect. people earn respect.

Exactly. Unfortunately though, you've yet to earn mine with statements like that in your 1st sentence. Your ad hominem and facile attack on my friend I daresay speaks for itself and volumes.

Geez, tough crowd...

Is this ever gonna have a happy ending? As in Mr. Shearn and myself at least offer an alternative view of 1980's jazz history that perhaps serves to correct the record? My lone reason for doing this was to introduce some great folks currently relegated to the historical backwater by IMO bullshit writers trying for careers on the backs of 'names'. Well, the people I speak of may not be names but deserve to be. They were great men (Barry is still very much among us).

Or will this remain a snipefest unworthy of this forum and its mostly fine members?

Inquiring minds...

Finally, to those with the unmittigated gall to accuse me of being whiney or self-serving: Have a lovely day. know where I was coming from. So does CJ. And so will the listeners...

Edited by fasstrack

On 10/10/2016 at 8:25 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Just a quick bit of advice: you'd be doing yourself a favor by not speaking on  anyone's behalf but your own. 

You've already used Mr. Shearn as a life preserver as you circle the drain of this toilet bowl you've created. That's really unfair to him. 

Advice just keeps flowing, like the mighty Yangtze.

On 10/9/2016 at 11:29 AM, fasstrack said:
On 10/9/2016 at 8:36 AM, Dmitry said:

Just listened to it. So Tommy pissed it all away on drugs..knew that. Was his famous brother supporting him financially after he stopped making a living from music?

That part is none of my business. I only can talk about what I know.

And thank you for listening...

I'm still curious. What kind of life did he have after leaving the music business? Did he keep in touch with his colleagues from the playing days? I don't know much about the man, other than what you said, and from scarce mentions by others.

Also, where's the rest of the podcast? I'd like to hear about C.Sharpe. 

Just happened upon his obituary - http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/30/obituaries/clarence-c-sharpe-dead-at-53-played-jazz-on-saxophone.html

Must have been a chainsmoker.

Edited by Dmitry

13 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Advice just keeps flowing, like the mighty Yangtze.

I'm still curious. What kind of life did he have after leaving the music business? Did he keep in touch with his colleagues from the playing days? I don't know much about the man, other than what you said, and from scarce mentions by others.

Also, where's the rest of the podcast? I'd like to hear about C.Sharpe. 

Just happened upon his obituary - http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/30/obituaries/clarence-c-sharpe-dead-at-53-played-jazz-on-saxophone.html

Must have been a chainsmoker.

Not sure what your first sentence means? Explain it, if you've a mind to.

I think the podcast will appear in installments.  CJ would know better than I.

I never saw C. Sharpe smoke a cigarette once in the 7 or 8 years I knew him---and I was around him in many different settings, so I think that is misinformation.

That obit was also bullshit. That line about him being 'the missing link between Charlie Parker and Ornette Coleman' is a bunch of old crap written by a no-nothing. I wouldn't repeat Clarence's comments about Ornette Coleman in polite company, being a gentleman. They DID spell his name right, though...

Best advice re jazz or any other journalism: read between the lines.

Gotta go. Long day. Thanks for your interest in the cats. I really appreciate it...

Edited by fasstrack

20 hours ago, fasstrack said:

That line about him being 'the missing link between Charlie Parker and Ornette Coleman' is a bunch of old crap written by a no-nothing ...

I've heard similar nonsense said about Ernie Henry. People who say that get elements of sound mixed up with the line. Q

On Tuesday (10/18) I will be heading over to CJ's in a bit. Besides remembering Chris Anderson, I would like to broach the subject of another great man and mentor: the late Bill Finegan. It has been almost 9 years since he's passed. Bill treated myself, James Chirillo and Frank Griffith like sons. His wife Rosemary was an angel, and she went before he---doubtless hastening his own demise (though Mr. Finegan made it to 91) . If I don't get to it today, I also would like to mention here that Bob Brookmeyer (who I wish was a mentor) called Bill every day after Rosemary's death. People say some funny things about Brook, but I think this was the real Bob Brookmeyer: a loving friend (who also told me and others than Bill Finegan was his hero).

I spoke with Bob Mover yesterday, and promised I would broach our history as well. Bob was an even earlier mentor than the others. I was 23 when we met (in late 1977). He was 26.

The main point of these interviews for me is to show how much love and generosity there exists among musicians. I still see it, out almost every night in NY jamming, listening or gigging. There may be a bad apple or 3, as in any barrel, but by and large in NY and the Hague---the only 2 places I've lived---the musos were always people with the right values, and 'rich' in the important ways. I doubly appreciate CJ's giving me this platform since I wrote perhaps 150 pages of a book about the '80s scene in NY, fleshing out these very people. Unfortunately the hard drive of the computer it lived in crashed, and dummy me did not back up the data. So unless I can fish the files out (and there are ways, some not even costly) CJ's podcast is the only show in town for a codger like myself to 'do the right thing'. The book---when and if completed---is to be called Generous Spirits.

Finally, CJ again has graciously allowed me to bring the guitar and play something in memorium. Because they 'lived' the title, and taught me to do the same, I have selected Benny Carter's Only Trust Your Heart...  

Edited by fasstrack

On 10/13/2016 at 10:09 AM, robertoart said:

The_Missing_Link.jpg

The Missing Link.

Thanks for that. Got some unruly kids I want to 'scare quiet'---and my 8x10 of Mr. T didn't seem to work.

I'm here through Thursday. Try the Zinfadel, and remember: If you tip your waitress well, she may just be 'nice' to you later...

On 10/9/2016 at 6:50 PM, l p said:

did a piece of your brain fall out? no one is entitled to respect. people earn respect.

jesus fuckin christ fuck you; what is wrong with this place? Though you did just prove your own point.

Edited by AllenLowe

I'm sorry. His point was: no one is entitled to respect. people earn respect.

Correct? And if he proved that point, then your response looks rather silly. 

You, on the other hand, seem to think certain people are entitled to respect. Forgive me for being the bearer of bad news, but that's not how it works. There is no irony in his statement, only your disconnect from reality. 

Still, let's all maintain some decorum as we make our points without escalating any personal hostilities. We can do that.

I'm saying this as much as a reminder to myself a to anybody else, really. Been there, done that, don't even have a t-shirt to show for it.

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

sorry, Jim, but this reflects the kind of casual disrespect that has got me checking this place out less and less. Not your fault, however.

Respect not being given where you demand it isn't disrespect. Let's leave those kinds of diametrical opposition charges to Christians. 

• JSngry locked this topic
2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Respect not being given where you demand it isn't disrespect. Let's leave those kinds of diametrical opposition charges to Christians. 

Ok, thread locked.

Sorry CJ, sorry Joel, good luck to you both, start a new thread if/when desired. This one is done.