iPhone music.

Dmitry

1 hour ago, psu_13 said:

On Macs there is an application called Vinyl Studio that is pretty good at making track splitting and such a bit less tedious. It might run on Windows too, I dunno.

I use a USB phono pre-amp rather than a USB turntable.

http://mutable-states.com/the-airplay-turntable-kit.html

That sounds interesting; I never heard of the concept before.  But there are no VU meters; how would you know if the music's distorting - just rely on your ears?  Or is it that "clip signal" light?  Also, your turntable would need to be near your computer.  Still, this is a really flexible concept.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd assume you'd be safe running the gain at 0. Or if you really wanted to be sure, then dial it back to -2, let's say. If you wanted to boost the dB's by 2-4 digitally, you could. Or else just turn the volume up a little when playing it back in its digital form? 

Depending on the software, you should be able to watch the waveform being written. In that case you'd know right away if you were running to hot. In that case, delete, dial back a dB or two, retry. 

BTW, if you look at the pic of the rig completely set up, it looks like that is indeed a light, mjzee. Good eye. In that pic it appears green. So perhaps it changes to red or yellow if you're running too hot? 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I was gonna offer up the USB Phono Plus,
but then I looked at the above link and there it was! ha!
Don't use the turntable as much as I use to,
but when I do (as in helping with the latest Blindfold Test),
it's always been an extremely easy and effective way to transfer stuff.

Edited by rostasi

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Should I update the os to a version 10(?)

Every day a pop up comes on asking whether I want to do it. I haven't, so far.

Some people, including me, are experiencing this problem, so you may want to wait - Apple has NOT fixed it yet: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/13/12904912/apple-ios-10-bricked-itunes-restore-fix-how-to

On 11/18/2016 at 7:53 AM, mjzee said:

Some people, including me, are experiencing this problem, so you may want to wait - Apple has NOT fixed it yet: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/13/12904912/apple-ios-10-bricked-itunes-restore-fix-how-to

I still haven't upgraded to iOS 10, but issues like this are why I *never* perform an iOS update without doing a full backup of my phone to iTunes first. As you're no doubt aware, even if you use iCloud to back up your device, that still does not capture all user data and settings the way an iTunes backup does. I've only had to restore from an iTunes backup once, and it was when one of my phones bricked after an iOS update. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish the saga, Apple wanted $149 to replace the screen on my iPhone 6+.  So I had to decide whether I wanted to put $149 into a 2-year old phone, or to trade it in and upgrade.  I chose the latter, getting a 32 GB iPhone 7+.  I could live without the extra memory (the 6+ had 64 GB), and the price differential made this a good move.  I'm very happy with the new phone - it seems peppier and more responsive than the 6+.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Yeah, I know. Is it relatively low profile? I can just imagine it being bent or broken in my smaller jean pockets. 

It's small, but you have to carry it separately, which is inconvenient.  I'd say start shopping for bluetooth headphones, since you know other phone manufacturers will follow Apple's lead.

I wonder. Google didn't do it with their Pixel, and made it a big part of their marketing campaign. 

I personally think it's going to be a huge bust. Just let enough folks lose those $175 Bluetooth buds Apple is coming out with. Unless they make them all with over the ear clips, that technology will die a quick and painful death. 

I'm hoping it has completely blown up in their faces before I need a new phone. If it hasn't, I may end up carrying a Pixel in my pocket. 

I get that, I really do. But earbuds simply are not meant to be wireless the way they so easily fall out of your ears. Unless you're one of the rare birds that only uses buds while sitting motionless in a chair, buds will be lost, broken, etc. without some form of clip or tether. 

Another problem being that higher end buds may not switch to Bluetooth any time soon. 

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I get that, I really do. But earbuds simply are not meant to be wireless the way they so easily fall out of your ears. Unless you're one of the rare birds that only uses buds while sitting motionless in a chair, buds will be lost, broken, etc. without some form of clip or tether. 

Another problem being that higher end buds may not switch to Bluetooth any time soon. 

I think about running - doesn't happen all the time, but my tethered headphones do pop out occasionally.  Having to stop and look for the damn thing just once will be a pain - if I can find it at all.  I don't get it either.

"Taking away something useful" is not the same as "creating something we don't yet know we need" ...

Edited by Eric

8 hours ago, mjzee said:

There are bluetooth headphones specifically designed for runners.  For example, Plantronics makes quite a few of them.

Yeah, but then I have to buy them versus using my crappy but functional tethered headphones :P

I don't have much interest in spending $159 (i.e. for the AirPods) to fix a problem that I don't have.  Among other things, there is a reasonably high chance that I would lose/misplace one/both of them on a fairly regular basis.  Example - I listen to music in bed and often fall asleep when they are in.  With the AirPods, chances are one/both pop out, fall on the floor, get lost in the sheets, etc. during the night.

This isn't a life and death issue.  It will delay my move to the 7, which is likely the opposite of what they want.  I will use the dongle, probably lose it several times, probably buy a couple extras for the cars (not all the vehicles have bluetooth). 

Plus there is the whole issue of not being able to charge and use the dongle at the same time.  Apple basically giving me the finger for driving an older car and refusing to upgrade to a bluetooth radio.

Edited by Eric