The Lost Singles of McVouty

jazzbo

An upcoming release featuring a collection of singles from Slim Gaillard!

Sally forth for this one. Notes are from Ricky Ricardi, and I'm looking forward to those and to the newly-reissued music!

SLIM GAILLARD: SEARCHING FOR YOU: THE LOST SINGLES OF MCVOUTY (1958-1974). Coming November 25th on Sunset Blvd Records (Redeye Distribution). Pre-order now.

Sometimes I go knocking on the doors of my heroes. Usually its a family member or friend who helps open that door. This was the case in January of 2014 when my longtime friend, producer/journalist, Kevin Goins connected me with Jan Gaye the daughter of Slim Gaillard. Slim was a one-of-a-kind. He played guitar, piano (sometimes with palms up), sang and even had his own funny language called 'Vout'. His music has brought me a lot of joy since my early 20's. Slim's music is happy and represents the good things in this life. As I write in my liner notes, "Slim's music should be prescribed by doctors to individuals who are depressed." With the support of Slim's family I'm happy to announce the first newly-heard music of Slim Gaillard in decades, a pill we can all swallow!
This new collection is culled from lost 45 records that were collected from online auctions by my co-producer, Tom Samuels. Very little is known about these tracks, recorded for such obscure labels as SGM Music, Sky Strip & Xavier Records. My guess is these were self-produced singles Slim was cutting, sending out to A&R agents looking for a 'deal' or to radio stations for a hit. Thanks to Michael Graves at Osiris Mastering Studios in Atlanta we were able to restore a great deal of the sound, gingerly, cleaning up the audio as best as possible without removing the high-ends.
This deluxe 4-panel, digi-package contains a 32-page booklet with rare photographs plus essays by yours truly, author and historian Ricky Riccardi, Gaillard archivist and co-producer Tom Samuels, saxophonist/composer and friend of Slim, John Altman, and lastly Slim's son and daughter, Mark Gaillard and Jan Gaye. Cover photo by Burt Goldblatt. Art direction & design by the talented Burton Yount. Package editor: Richard Seidel, Project assistance: Skip Heller. I hope you'll enjoy. Many thanks to Len Fico and the estate of Slim Gaillard for making this project possible. And thanks to all of you for all your support.

Edited by jazzbo

Link was just to an image of the cover, which I can't seem to get to work. 

More news to follow, right now the information seems only to be on Facebook. I knew Ricky Ricardi was working on a Slim project but did not know what it is til today.

https://www.facebook.com/zev.feldman?pnref=story

The disc is available for preorder on amazon.com

Edited by jazzbo

I love Slim Gaillard, but can't listen to his records much. I don't think I know any humorous songs that remain funny for long. Some films: Motown's 'I'm gonna git you, sucker!', 'Life of Brian', Buster Keaton's 'The railrodder' or any Jacques Tati film, I seem to be able to watch them year in, year out and really laugh. But not music.

I saw him, playing in the theatre bar outside the first and last Cardiff Jazz Festival - a gig featuring McCoy Tyner and Pharoah Sanders - and there were more people in the bar than in the theatre!

MG

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, JSngry said:

His "How High The Moon" on dot was not humorous as much as it was the verbal manifestation of a parallel universe.

You didn't grow up with 'The Goon Show'. My mate and I never could fathom out how Slim Gaillard developed that kind of humour in the USA. Was he a friend of Spike Milligan?

MG

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

You didn't grow up with 'The Goon Show'. My mate and I never could fathom out how Slim Gaillard developed that kind of humour in the USA. Was he a friend of Spike Milligan?

MG

Bloodnock Rock'n'Roll Call anyone? :lol:

Maybe a case of who was copying whom? Although from what I have heard of them (just a smattering, but anyway ...) I really cannot see much common ground between the Goons and Slim Gaillard (the very DICTION of the Goons alone pigeonholed them ....) As for whom Spike Milligan befriended, I'd rather say it was his namesake (JONES, that is .... :D) With maybe a bit of Stan Freberg mixed in ... And maybe even Red Ingle?

Slim Gaillard really was in a class of his own.

Edited by Big Beat Steve