First Digital Download From The Net

ArtSalt

I've been encoding my CD collection to FLAC on the Bluesound Vault 2 since last December and I am nearly there with the exception of most Mosaic box sets that I need to edit the artist and song titles as the metadata for these sets do not exist in the ether. The one exception is Louis Armstrong and the All Stars Colombia and RCA Victor Live Recordings which ripped like a dream.

Last night I decided to go for it and purchased the Miles Davis Complete Prestige 10-Inch LP Collection in sample rate 96/24 and FLAC format from HD Tracks. I am quite intrigued and looking forward to giving this a serious audition this evening with a couple of G&T's in hand.

The ease at which you can search for artists and explore the music before you buy seems to me a very compelling argument to start purchasing music from these services. You miss out on the booklets and physical packaging, but it feels like getting close to the essence of the music, stripped away from artifact. Okay, the breadth of the selections are still not fully there in terms of completeness of catalogues e.g. Blue Note, but eventually this will likely be addressed.

I know a lot of people have made a further jump into online streaming services and no longer buy music for keeps.

It does seem to me the tide of online digital music sourcing cannot be held back.

I kicked physical media years ago, outside of a box set here and there. So, welcome to the dark side. ;) 

iTunes has been offering "digital booklets", liner notes, etc. with a lot of their downloads in recent years. Though I doubt any of the Jazz classics have them. But, at least they offer it even if in a limited fashion. 

At first I thought I'd miss the physical packaging and liner notes, but the feeling soon passed. And that's coming from someone who would sit down and read liner notes before even putting the album on! 

• 3 months later...

Closing in fast on completing my entire Mosaic box sets. It's great!

With CD box sets you tend to miss certain CD's, get lost on what you've actually listened too, whilst other good stuff is missed. Now with computer playlists you can ensure you're always exploring and moving on and not missing anything.