What was the first Jazz Lp you bought?

medjuck

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz music (and sometimes musicians) were around the house often,
so I was born into it (my mother was pregnant with me when she went
to see Ahmad Jamal at the Pershing Hotel Lounge).

but, the first jazz album(s) that I bought with my own money
were, IIRC, these two together in '70.

uvdbwDl.jpg

qmbDzeZ.jpg

Edited by rostasi

Hard to remember now,  I was 16 or 17 at the time. I was feeling my way about then but some early purchases included. 

Bud Shank Quartet

Shorty Rogers, Wherever the Five Winds  Blow

Gerry Mulligan, Mainstream of Jazz

Purchase usually depended on what was in the shops and often dictated by the cover art or  sleeve note.

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Hard to remember now,  I was 16 or 17 at the time. I was feeling my way about then but some early purchases included. 

Bud Shank Quartet

Shorty Rogers, Wherever the Five Winds  Blow

Gerry Mulligan, Mainstream of Jazz

Purchase usually depended on what was in the shops and often dictated by the cover art or  sleeve note.

38232087_p.jpg

Ah yes, vividly remember that one displayed in a shop window in a Manchester suburb. Must have been 1959.

I can recall for certain, because i had just begun buying rock albums in earnest (at least as earnest as my allowance would allow for) about a year or so before, and this definitely felt significant to me, this stepping into another world by actually buying into it. This was a different thing, yeah, and not a causal undertaking. There was so much other stuff to buy, and...jazz? A jazz record? Buying one? UH-oh...

And then, about a month later, this one (don't laugh, I didn't!)

CV12350.jpg

Before you figure out the formulae, this kind of thing is impressive. And it still is, in different ways, after you do. Besides, Shelly Manne never sucked!

Now, what the third one was...that's where things get fuzzy...

On 10/22/2016 at 7:06 AM, JSngry said:

51JlARt%2BYAL._SY355_.jpg

Crown Records!   Did you get this at a drugstore?  I don't think I ever saw them in records stores.  And was the Brubeck a live set? 

On 10/22/2016 at 2:15 PM, jazztrain said:

It's hard to remember, but this was one of the first:

R-1811747-1244916532.jpeg.jpg

Probably the first jazz album at my house but either my older sisters or my parent bought it.  None were jazz fans but when this came out jazz  was still (almost) popular music. 

The Crown, bought it at a Firestone store in my hometown. Rode my bike there and back. Crown showed up regularly at places like that, dime stores, Western Auto, Sears, etc. Some rack jobber was doing their job well, I would say.

It was two Paul Desmond Fantasy studio cuts, one live Brubeck Fantasy cut, and whatever the hell that George Nielsen thing was, don't know if that's ever been firmly established.

R-1813000-1275426790.jpeg.jpg

Sometime in the first half of 1975. Not a lot of jazz on it but I bought it under the impression Jarrett was a jazz musician - the jazz section of the Melody Maker (music magazines had jazz and folk sections in them days) said he was. A few weeks later I bought 'Facing You' which is definitely a jazz record.

(I've excluded things like Soft Machine from three years before because I bought them as rock records....though maybe Keith Tippett's 'Septober Energy' which I bought in December 1972 was the real first one (bought out of a KIng Crimson fixation...I was not yet targeting jazz).)

Edited by A Lark Ascending