What was the first Jazz Lp you bought?

medjuck

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first record bought was noan lp but a 45, two cuts off Miles Davis' round about midnight, all of you and the title song. Image result for miles davis round about midnight

next two i did not really buy but put them on my christmas wish list because J. Berendt gave them both 5 stars in a review in the jazz podium whe they came out. i got them

Image result for charles mingus presents charles mingus

Image result for john coltrane impressions

I bought Ornette! and A Love Supreme several years before I made a conscious effort to get into jazz. Inbetween I accumulated Waltz For Debby, Black Saint & The Sinner Lady, Mingus x5, This is Our Music, and Brilliant Corners. But the first two I bought fully with the intention of taking a crack at jazz were Unit Structures and Out to Lunch. A few other very early ones I remember are Saxophone Colossus, Jamal's OKeh/Epic Recordings, Smokestack, and Someday My Prince Will Come.

For the life of it I cannot remember the first jazz LP I ever bought at the age of not quite 15 in 1975.

It must have been one of these:

- ODJB twofer with their classic early recordings on RCA VIctor
- Fats Waller piano rolls on a twofer on the (French) Monkey label
- Duke Ellington "Best Of" (1927-41) on Joker (Italy) and/or various others from that label widely available here, including NORK and Muggsy Spanier's Dixieland Band (1938)
- Artie Shaw big band 2-LP compilation covering his years up to 1945

(Yes, I approached the subject more or less chronologically, often also dictated by availability in the Special Offer bins suitable for a student's purse in the local record stores))

These were among the very first jazz LPs I ever bought new, and then there were some LPs and 45s bought secondhand at fleamarkets during those months (I still must have these but cannot pin them down either).

I also remember when my mother tried to make me listen to the MJQ's "Fontessa" as "being jazz" (Third Stream was as far as she ever got into jazz from her classical music listening habits) this sounded DISTINCTLY ODD to me (her black-label original Atlantic pressing has long since joined my own collection, though ... ;))

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, robertoart said:

Awesome. That is quite a first up purchase. Do you still like it?

Well, it was released on the Rough Trade label, home for a lot of my favourite post-punk/diy/experimental... bands at that time (early Cabaret Voltaire, Raincoats, Swell Maps, Red Crayola, This Heat, etc.). I probably didn't even realize I was buying a "jazz record".

I could have picked this one too:

Pop group Y.jpg

Not a "jazz record", obviously, but bands like The Pop Group were very important in showing (the young and impressionable) me the way to a whole new world of avant-garde jazz and free improv.

And yes, sure, I still like those records; especially The Pop Group.

Is this a jazz album?

4873.JPG

I got it in 1959, because I'd just seen the film. I can still sing Respighi's 'Carnival of Venice' the way Danny Kaye did. It was my third LP. Ditched in about '62

Honest to God jazz albums; the seventh and eighth I bought, on the same day, in 1960, because they were on Atlantic, the label that to me was God

R-1958501-1396655542-3885.jpeg.jpg

sam_0431.jpg

I've still got 'One never knows' - but on a CD, coupled with 'Fontessa'.

MG

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I think At the Music Inn may have been the 2nd jazz album I bought.  I suspect I'd never heard of Sonny Rollins at the time. 

Nor me.

Now I come to think of it, I think my Old Man took me to see 'The Five Pennies' and revealed that he bloody well KNEW Danny Kaye. I was well impressed. But he knew a hell of a lot of people socially, including the Queen & Prince Philip.

MG

$_1.JPG

various artists -------------The best of I ❤️ Jazz----------(CBS Holland)

R-3744003-1343749914-5841.png.jpg

King Oliver ---------- The Okeh sessions 1923--------( EMI)

these two releases were bought together (mid 1980s) and were my first. The Oliver's muddy sound put me off completely something which was only corrected with the Off the Record CD. Complilations get a bad name but this one produced by Henri Renaud introduced me to Ellington, Basie, Mulligan, Art Blakey and most especially Monk.