What was the first Jazz Lp you bought?

medjuck

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am not sure but I started to collect "I grandi del Jazz" series, it was sold in newspaper kiosks and was really cheap, one third of LP normal price. It had stuff from Atlantic, Verve, ecc, among them I remember well Olè Coltrane. And then there were Prestige twoofers, The Davis Quintet, Monk, etc.. They were cheap and available in all record stores. In the late seventies it wasn't easy to find jazz records in small town in Italy.

My first LPs were Hank Mancini's "Peter Gunn" (the first one) and Dave Brubeck's "Southern Scene" - though my uncle bought the latter.

The "Peter Gunn" album is a masterpiece, with some of L.A.'s best musicians.

The Brubeck session has been mainly overlooked over the years, and isn't on CD a lot, but it is excellent, especially "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen".

• 9 months later...

I can't remember which of these I bought first, but it was around the same time--the Massey Hall double-LP upon the recommendation of my best friend from junior high and high school (who was an enthusiastic jazz listener, as well as musician, long before I was) purchased at Rockin' Billy's and the Billie Holiday at World Record Shoppe (which amazingly appears to still be in business) in Indianapolis.  The Billie Holiday must have been one of the last Columbia Holiday reissues to come out on vinyl--this would have been around 1989 or so:

R-1252193-1510518130-6581.jpeg.jpg

911vugpYgHL._SX355_.jpg

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I can't remember which of these I bought first, but it was around the same time--the Massey Hall double-LP upon the recommendation of my best friend from junior high and high school (who was an enthusiastic jazz listener, as well as musician, long before I was) purchased at Rockin' Billy's and the Billie Holiday at World Record Shoppe (which amazingly appears to still be in business) in Indianapolis.  The Billie Holiday must have been one of the last Columbia Holiday reissues to come out on vinyl--this would have been around 1989 or so:

R-1252193-1510518130-6581.jpeg.jpg

911vugpYgHL._SX355_.jpg

I've got them too, in my early days of jazz, all of the Holiday's that came a bit later

Edited by porcy62

The first two that I played would have been my Dad's copies of TV Action Jazz! by Mundell Lowe and The Double Six of Paris US debut on Capitol. 

So I started out with two of the best jazz albums ever made, which set the bar pretty high for me in terms of expectations of what a great jazz LP should be.

The first one I bought would have been Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits on Columbia, at age 13.  I felt very adult listening to it.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

It was either Miles Davis "Nefertiti" or "Miles Davis at Fillmore." I had returned from Africa to small town rural NE Ohio and was miserable. Didn't know a lot of the music that my peers were listening to and on the radio and didn't like that much of it. Explored the library and found "Filles de Kilimanjaro" and "In A Silent Way" and that was the ticket. Within a few months I had my own copies of those, and "Nefertiti," "Miles Davis at Fillmore" and "Bitches Brew," I think in that order.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The first two that I played would have been my Dad's copies of TV Action Jazz! by Mundell Lowe and The Double Six of Paris US debut on Capitol. 

So I started out with two of the best jazz albums ever made, which set the bar pretty high for me in terms of expectations of what a great jazz LP should be.

The first one I bought would have been Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits on Columbia, at age 13.  I felt very adult listening to it.  

That's freaky! My father bought the same two LPs back when I was a kiddie. My fave cut is Tony Scott's gorgeous interpretation of the Mike Hammer 'Riff Blues' theme, going into his Ben Webster bag, with nice acc. by Mundell and Costa.Tony used both lips for his embouchure, instead of the traditional one of resting the top teeth on the mouthpiece. He also had a 'freak diaphragm', which allowed him to use more air than someone with a normal diaphragm.

I think the guy that posted that was Mundell's son.

2 minutes ago, sgcim said:

That's freaky! My father bought the same two LPs back when I was a kiddie. My fave cut is Tony Scott's gorgeous interpretation of the Mike Hammer 'Riff Blues' theme, going into his Ben Webster bag, with nice acc. by Mundell and Costa.Tony used both lips for his embouchure, instead of the traditional one of resting the top teeth on the mouthpiece. He also had a 'freak diaphragm', which allowed him to use more air than someone with a normal diaphragm.

I think the guy that posted that was Mundell's son.

Yeah, that is THEE DEFINITIVE version of "Riff Blues."

My parents were in the biz, and they both worked with Mundell Lowe when he was a session musician.  I need to digitize the demo of the concept album that my Dad wrote.  The demo is my mom singing accompanied my Mundell on guitar.  Between each song is a five-voice, close-harmony a cappella bridge, functioning as a Freudian subconscious Greek chorus.  Good stuff, very much of the era.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:17 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Yeah, that is THEE DEFINITIVE version of "Riff Blues."

My parents were in the biz, and they both worked with Mundell Lowe when he was a session musician.  I need to digitize the demo of the concept album that my Dad wrote.  The demo is my mom singing accompanied my Mundell on guitar.  Between each song is a five-voice, close-harmony a cappella bridge, functioning as a Freudian subconscious Greek chorus.  Good stuff, very much of the era.

Did your dad's concept album ever get a record release? Was he an LA arranger?

1969 listened to late night FM in Miami, DJ China Valles , first to play BST in area and jazz.

Two Jazz records First purchased because he played both often.

Memphis Underground- Herbie Mann

Mose Allison Sings

Jaco use to call China asking him to play some Miles according to biography 

Edited by Gdgray

I will slightly distort the thread by listing a couple of jazz LPs that my parents bought before I was old enough to get any. 

They had a 10" compilation of Fats Waller called "Fats Waller Favorites" and Vol. 2 of the Decca recordings of "The Benny Goodman Story", which were the ones used in the movie and had a lot of the original guys, plus guests such as Buck Clayton, Stan Getz and Urbie Green.

My Dad was into jazz in the 30s and knew his stuff.