Freddie Roulette - Blues Steel Guitar

paul secor

A good friend sent me a message about dj Herb Kent's passing and included a link to a 45 on which he does a vocal. My friend also included two links to videos of bluesman Freddie Roulette playing steel guitar. (He 's the main instrumentalist on the 45.) I thought some here might enjoy the videos - they're relatively short. Modern blues steel guitar is a rarity and Freddie Roulette is a good one.

8 hours ago, paul secor said:

A good friend sent me a message about dj Herb Kent's passing and included a link to a 45 on which he does a vocal. My friend also included two links to videos of bluesman Freddie Roulette playing steel guitar. (He 's the main instrumentalist on the 45.) I thought some here might enjoy the videos - they're relatively short. Modern blues steel guitar is a rarity and Freddie Roulette is a good one.

Paul

Thanks so much I have never heard of this guy and you are right....he is good and that is an understatement!

He is playing here what is called a lap steel guitar and having recently taken up pedal steel guitar myself,  I have always wondered why choose the lap steel over just playing slide guitar on a regular 6 string that you don't hold on your lap ?   I guess the lap guitars give you  more strings?  And I  wonder if those lap guys use an E9 tuning like the pedal steel players do?  On the other hand I guess a dobro is a 6 string instrument played horizontally and with a bar.  At any rate, this guy has talent.