Musicians who have retired

duaneiac

We jazz fans have been fortunate in that so many of the great musicians who have worked in this field are/were able to keep on working until very late in their lives, sometimes right up to the very end.  So many jazz musicians have kept right on performing & recording into their 70's & 80's (and sometimes 90's) that we almost take it as a given that most of them, health permitting, will keep on keepin' on like that.

Some musicians, though, do decide to retire whether it be for health reasons, weariness from being on the road or other personal reasons.  Who are some of the veteran musicians still with us who have retired from public performance/recording?

First one I can think of is Sonny Rollins, obviously.

There is also Mose Allison.

I think Eugene Wright is retired and I have heard the other long-time DBQ bassist, Michael Moore, is also retired.

Who are some others?  This thread is mainly about jazz musicians, but musicians you admire from other fields could also be included.

Edited by duaneiac

The late Shorty Rogers went into retirement after the popularity of his sort of jazz waned. In the early 1980s, when he was said to be spending much of his time on a yacht off the California coast, there was a surge of renewed interest in his music in this country and he was persuaded to come out of retirement to lead the National Youth Jazz Orchestra on a tour of this country. I was at one of the shows and the kids handled his arrangements with aplomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkWcp9LJdA

2 hours ago, BillF said:

The late Shorty Rogers went into retirement after the popularity of his sort of jazz waned. In the early 1980s, when he was said to be spending much of his time on a yacht off the California coast, there was a surge of renewed interest in his music in this country and he was persuaded to come out of retirement to lead the National Youth Jazz Orchestra on a tour of this country. I was at one of the shows and the kids handled his arrangements with aplomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkWcp9LJdA

I remember at least one feature in Jazz Journal around that vintage covering Shorty's comeback and that NYJO tour and the Northern concerts. Too bad I never  caught any of his gigs. Didn't Steve Voce have a hand in persuading him over?

Annie Ross does perform a night a week in NYC. She was in the audience at Mezzrows in NYC and she was saying she plays one day a week. I think it is Mondays. Jon Hendricks is at the Iridium in NYC tonight. 95 years young today.

http://theiridium.com/events/5269/jon-hendricks-95th-birthday-celebration-with-special-guests-kevin-mahogany-janis-siegel-and-kurt-elling-35-55/

I guess musicians never really retire. 

I remember there was an announcement that Leon Redbone retired earlier this year.  I think it was due to health issues.

Nancy Wilson retired a few years ago.

I'm not sure there was any formal announcement, but it has been years since I've seen any news of a performance by Keely Smith, so I assume she is retired.  I hope she is in good health.

2 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I think Annie Ross still does a regular night at a NYC club.

The great Canadian guitarist Ed Bickert retired more than a dozen years ago.  He remains in good health.

That's amazing considering what Paul Desmond wrote.  "Ed Bickert smokes more than I do." 

Edited by John Tapscott

5 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

Jutta Hipp.

Didn't Jutta Hipp pass away a few years ago?

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Jon Hendricks?

Jon Hendricks is an absolute phenomenon. I remember seeing him at the NYC Blue Note well over 20 years ago now - he was an absolute barrel of energy at an age when most of his peers would have already been well into their retirement. Inspiring !

Julian Priester and Eric Kloss?

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

How about Terry Gibbs?  It's been some time since his last album.

Terry Gibbs was one musician I was wondering about.  I have not heard anything about him in a while (such as a new recording or appearing at a major jazz festival), but I don't know if he might have some steady local gig in L.A. or somewhere.

I was wondering about Junior Mance as well.  I know his last recording project was supposed to be his "last" one, but does he still tour & perform?

I was wondering about Candido too.  He's still alive and kicking (95!!!), but is he retired from music?

One who, for me, retired far too soon was Esther Satterfield, the vocalist heard on some of Chuck Mangione's records.  I have no idea if she is still alive or not.  She completely disappeared once she decided to exit from the music biz.

Edited by duaneiac