Bob Cranshaw - RIP

Chuck Nessa

RIP. That bass line on "The Sidewinder" is what most people remember, but he did a lot great work elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

First, I remember his smile. Not sure why.

Me too. When I saw him with Sonny, he had this big grin the entire time. Seemed like a really nice guy based on interviews I've seen of him.

Edited by B. Clugston

I have been thinking of Bob Cranshaw often with the recent fundraising campaign, and I was hoping for a miracle.  I had the privilege of seeing him three times with Sonny Rollins, with Cranshaw on upright the last time, which was an unexpected treat.  He was originally scheduled to play with the big band DIVA (unless there is someone else who could be listed as Bobby Cranshaw) in Pittsburgh in March, and I was looking forward to seeing him with a big band.  Like many others here, I have many recordings that have benefited from his contributions, and I'm sure that I'll add more to my collection.  In fact, I had finished listening to one of those albums, Up, Up and Away by Sonny Criss, shortly before seeing this terrible news.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Cranshaw, and rest in peace.

RIP.  What a nice man.  When in college, I was head of the jazz concert commission, and we presented Sonny Rollins in the spring of 1975.  After the sound check, I walked around campus with Bob for about an hour.  It seemed like most of the conversation was about me - he was genuinely interested in me, asked a lot of questions, and invited me to his house on Long Island, where he had a son who was my age.  I'll never forget that walk with him.

first of all i swear to god i looked at the campaign last night.  because i discovered the just posted campaign for alphonse mouzon, and the next featured related link was Bobs, which I had seen prior, but i clicked and viewed and thought about it, very end of night-

in addition to sonny of course, one of the very best part of the whole sonny concert experience was seeing bob cranshaw.  one important thing about him  i learned by being around him was that he was very proud of was his involvement with TV show Sesame St.  he was very proud of his role in what that show did for people.

i asked him why he used a fender electric bass on rough n tumble but acoustic bass on hank mobley albums and he said stanley asked him to bring it to the session, and hank was going for a more straight ahead thing. 

I saw Bob outside of a Sonny performance once....he was a special guest at a huge all star concert at ucla- so i saw the Sidewinder (& "gettin around") rhythm section: Barry Harris / Bob Cranshaw / Billy Higgins + Charles Lloyd rock "Sweet Georgia Brown"....