2016-2017 Hot Stove League

JSngry

Let the fire in the stove burn hotly, fueled by, among other things, the Loveable Losers Baggage being disposed of by Cubs fans, the DAMMIT that was close frustrations burning inside Indians fans, and the pwaaattt?!?! angry indifference of Rangers fans, the latter being too cold to create fire, but more than cold enough to burn like hell. 

Theo has to decide whether to bid on Chapman, and what to do with Fowler in CF. Schwarber returns to left, I am guessing Fowler is gone and Heyward goes to CF and Zobrist plays RF.  Everyone else is team-controlled I believe. 

What I'd like to see is Lackey go to the 5th starter slot. Ideally he should never see this side of a playoff roster again. They won with him so all is good but I think he's on a steep downward decline.

• 3 weeks later...

WS home field advantage now to be determined by team with best regular season record: http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/12/01/the-all-star-game-will-no-longer-determine-home-field-advantage-in-the-world-series/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

"Best regular season record" more or less meaningless in this context, imo. Still, better than All Star game as far as optics go.

Under new CBA, smokeless tobacco will be banned for incoming players.

Going forward, smokeless tobacco will be banned in baseball, but players who have already spent at least one day in the big leagues will be grandfathered out. So the ban is targeted for future big league players. It will be interesting to see how some minor leaguers adjust to the ban. While smokeless tobacco has been banned in the minors since 1993, it appears the ban has not entirely eliminated usage.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/12/01/mlb-cba-luxury-tax-draft-pick-tobacco

5 hours ago, Matthew said:

Bud Selig in the Hall of Fame, what total and complete BS. 

Couldn't agree more, especially when Marvin Miller isn't.  He wasn't on the freakin' ballot.  No objection to Schuerholz. He built winners in KC and Atlanta. 

Holy shit the Red Sox got busy at the GM meetings.

First they trade Travis Shaw for some righty set up man from the Brewers- and give Pablo Sandoval the starting spot at 3B, which is potentially disastrous. Also apparently means Koji is gone, and that saddens me.

On the other hand they apparently won the Chris Sale sweepstakes, but gave up the number 1 prospect in the game, and their best starting pitching prospect too. That's high cost but at least Betts, JB Jr aren't going anywhere.  And Sale is under team control for three years so its no rental.

I guess I have to like that move though if Moncada and Kopech live up to the billing the White Sox got some big time talent back.

And there are indications that they aren't in the market for a big bopper to replace Papi? Me no likey that. John Henry needs to open the check book for Encarnarcion.

• 2 months later...

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How to begin to wreck the game.

Feb 20: http://www.lonestarball.com/2017/2/20/14673258/josh-hamiltons-batting-practice-was-exciting-per-reports

Josh Hamilton’s batting practice was exciting, per reports

....and then, as if by magic....

Feb 22: http://www.lonestarball.com/2017/2/22/14697880/josh-hamilton-having-his-knee-examined

Josh Hamilton having his knee examined