RIP Victor Bailey

JSngry

just discovering this--- victor bailey & omar hakim playing with madonna.  this is kind of like the most mature madonna music ive ever heard.....really would of been interesting to see her music progress like this instead of the quasi-electronica thats been happening the last 15+ yrs....check it out:

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

RIP Victor Bailey. I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging with him at the 2003 Park City Jazz Festival (where I played with Corey Christiansen and Danny Gottlieb). He was as nice as can be to this young and nervous musician and told me he loved Hammond organ. He also told me something I never knew; that his uncle was the great drummer Donald 'Duck' Bailey, who played and recorded with Jimmy Smith on a handful of classic Blue Note albums. He said that as a young boy, the trio of Jimmy, Donald, and Quentin Warren used to practice at his house in Philly! Can you imagine! No wonder he had the music in him.

Serendipitously, at that same time I had been digesting the Joe Zawinul Syndicate World Tour CD for weeks. Victor played on a big chunk of it. He said that he got the gig literally days before and was reading everything for the first time on those recordings. That was when I realized I wasn't worthy. What an amazing musician and a beautiful human being.

I haven't heard a lot of his work, but he was a heck of a bassist.  Procession, which was Bailey's first album with Weather Report, is my favorite Weather Report album.  It couldn't have been an easy task replacing the larger-than-life Jaco Pastorius, but Bailey brought a youthful energy and swagger that contributed greatly to the album's success.  I look forward to exploring more of his work with Weather Report and beyond.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Bailey, and rest in peace.

• 1 month later...