Leon Russell R.I.P.

Dave James

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

When that guy was inspired to write a great song, he didn't mess around.  "A Song For You" was another one of his minor/major haunting ballads that EVERYBODY sang/recorded, and may have been even more powerful/memorable.

In the above article, Elton John's comment about Russell's tune "Back To The Island" being an inspiration to him intrigues me a bit.  I remember that song, and "Will O' The Wisp" was an LP that I bought at a rather slow and lonely time in my life.  I was never much of a lyrics guy, so I wonder if there's an angle to that song that I didn't pick up on completely.

There were three pianists who played on thr Christm

On November 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, JSngry said:

Anybody know if there's a story about how the piano sudeenly pops up on this one, and if it is in fact Leon Russell? One of the great moments in American Popular Music, imo.

There were three piano players who worked on these sessions, Al Delory, Don Randi and, yes, Leon Russell.  No way to know if he played on this song.  Interestingly enough, Sonny Bono contributed percussion parts and some sources say Barney Kessell was also involved.