Monk 1959 session on Resonance, Coltrane?

B. Clugston

Interesting news on Resonance in this interview:

"Since then, Feldman has been vetting literally hundreds of historical recordings—mostly for Resonance, where he’s executive vice-president and general manager. Next up for release? A long-lost 1959 studio date by none other than Thelonious Monk.

He’s also been handed the keys to the Radio France archives, and has dibs on a greater treasure than the fabled Ark of the Covenant: 12 hours of music by the artist many consider the best saxophonist of all time. Feldman’s not quite ready to name names, so let’s just say that any jazz fan would consider their release a giant step for humanity."

http://www.straight.com/music/829826/los-angeles-jazz-detective-zev-feldman-unearths-hidden-treasures

Well there must be someone with a discography that will tell us what this 1959 Monk studio date would be. Or is it lost so long no one even knows what it would be?

Color me a little more curious about Radio France archives than 12 hours of Coltrane but that's just me and YMMVWV.

I helped moderate a couple of panel discussions with Zev at the Indy Jazz Fest's Wes Montgomery tribute day, and iirc correctly some of the Monk tracks are derived from sessions for Les Liaisons Dangereuses.  I also got to hear a pretty sweet Montgomery side with David Baker on trombone... definitely more Wes in the pipeline.

Edited by ghost of miles

the only unissued studio session that i see for 1959 monk in the sheridan discography is

soundtrack to the film “Les Liaisons Dangereuses”.  Parts of these tunes can be heard in the film.

July 27, 1959
Nola Studios, New York
Thelonious Monk Quintet
Personnel: Charlie Rouse, Bernard “Barney” Wilen (ts); Thelonious Monk (p); Sam Jones (b); Arthur Taylor (d).

Monk’s Mood
Crepuscule with Nellie
Off Minor
Let’s Cool One
Let’s Cool One
Rhythm-a-ning
Epistrophy
Epistrophy
Pannonica
Pannonica
Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues Are
We’ll Understand it Better By and By
Untitled blues (p-solo)
Epistrophy
Epistrophy

the coltrane discographers have gone through the Radio France archives tapes. they didn't have much new material to report from these in the jc reference book. maybe an hour or possibly two hours at the most from 62 and 63 paris. and most of that is in circulation. 

maybe the article is talking about sonny rollins.

9 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Haven't nearly all these concerts been extensively bootlegged?

Radio France? I have no idea but consider what's been found with the Netherlands reissue program, or the Horace Silver quintet - which was a Paris show - which has not been in circulation.  I think there could be many unheard/forgotten broadcasts to be cleaned up and released.

14 hours ago, l p said:

the only unissued studio session that i see for 1959 monk in the sheridan discography is

soundtrack to the film “Les Liaisons Dangereuses”.  Parts of these tunes can be heard in the film.

July 27, 1959
Nola Studios, New York
Thelonious Monk Quintet
Personnel: Charlie Rouse, Bernard “Barney” Wilen (ts); Thelonious Monk (p); Sam Jones (b); Arthur Taylor (d).

Monk’s Mood
Crepuscule with Nellie
Off Minor
Let’s Cool One
Let’s Cool One
Rhythm-a-ning
Epistrophy
Epistrophy
Pannonica
Pannonica