Pianist Hod O'Brien R.I.P.

ghost of miles

Very sad news. RIP.

When I bought my first O'Brien recording on Reservoir, I was pleasantly shocked to see it was the same guy I recalled from "Three Trumpets", "J R Monterose" and "Guitar Groove", after a long recording hiatus. He became one of my favorite pianists.

Edited by T.D.

Very sorry to hear this bad news.

Hod was one of the few actual bebop style jazz pianists still with us.  There was little if any  influence from players such as Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea or McCoy Tyner.  Thankfully Barry Harris and a handful of other beboppers are still playing.  

10 hours ago, six string said:

I don't have any by him as a leader but I have some albums with him playing piano including that JR Monterose album.  I need to fix that.  Those Live At Blues Alley recordings sound like a good place to start.  R.I.P.

Recommended:

500x500.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 1:29 AM, BillF said:

Recommended:

500x500.jpg

I picked this up after hearing the news of his passing, and it's my first album led by him.  Like his work as a sideman that I've heard, I've enjoyed it.  Speaking of O'Brien's sideman work, I have to listen to Ted Brown's excellent Free Spirit soon.  Thank you for the music, Mr. O'Brien, and rest in peace.