ALBUM OF THE WEEK - Nov 27 - Dec 3

JSngry

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

t11053231-i160610732_s400.jpg

here it is. this here.

Excellent recording showcasing Bertha Hope`s talents as pianist .... though the horns are strong and nicely matched, the nucleus of proceedings is the Rhythm Section (which would have justified a stand alone recording) with Walter Booker - who has a beautiful tone here - and Leroy Williams ....

Leroy Williams is a gas on this album.

I really appreciate how all the Elmo tunes are played "just right". He was a "bebop composer" imo, which means that he used the language of bebop as a conscious compositional tool. These tunes are excellent vehicles for improvisation, but they are never just "blowing tunes". They are specific statements, they create their own specific places.

My favorite thing about the record is the time. Not just tempo, but the time within the tempo. It's there, in that zone where beats occupy the space instead of merely defining it for linear measurement. This time is bigger than that.

To that end, in particular, Junior Cook.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Leroy Williams is a gas on this album.

I really appreciate how all the Elmo tunes are played "just right". He was a "bebop composer" imo, which means that he used the language of bebop as a conscious compositional tool. These tunes are excellent vehicles for improvisation, but they are never just "blowing tunes". They are specific statements, they create their own specific places.

My favorite thing about the record is the time. Not just tempo, but the time within the tempo. It's there, in that zone where beats occupy the space instead of merely defining it for linear measurement. This time is bigger than that.

To that end, in particular, Junior Cook.

Amen ....

• 2 weeks later...