Christmas Jazz Albums

joshuakennedy

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I have plenty of Kentons but not this one. Maybe I accidentally passed it up at special sales here in the past. I just checked the track listing in a 1986 catalog of Creative World reissues - and, yes, I'd sure like to hear "O Tannenbaum" or "O Holy Night" as played by the Stan Kenton mellophonium orchestra of 1961. ;) (No sideswipe intended - the one Kenton mellophonium orchestra LP I have sounds much less overbearing to me than many scribes made this band out to be)

The mellophonium band was one of my favorite editions of the Kenton band.  As far as Kenton bands go, I'd say that particular band was underbearing!  There's no mellophoniums involved on the following, but it's a disc I got last year which intentionally covers most/all (I forget which) of the songs on the original Kenton Christmas in a Kenton style --

600x600bb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I don't know if this one ever made it to CD:

Yank+Lawson+900.jpg

I don't think it did make it to CD, but it should!  (Just to hear Vic Dickenson sing "Rudolph"...)  My vinyl is full of clicks and skips from my then-little kids playing it over and over.  They loved it.

That was a terrific little band, the WGJB.  It has not been treated well as to CD transfers.  Jazzology in New Orleans controls the material now...

I bu,y at least one new jazz Christmas CD every season, but this year it was three:

41T79HKJQYL.jpg

I had sold this but now felt the urge to listen to it once more ..

71pK7dKambL._SL1050_.jpg

Will open this one on Christmas eve.

61-uUzwfTYL.jpg

This one turns out to be a compilation of many chestnuts - my wife loves it.

Today in the car I spinned one of my favourites to get me in the mood, masterful vocals by Mrs. Baker. Ironically, her jazziest album.

51qeiD3mMdL.jpg

Just received this one by the Alan Barnes Octet from Woodville records in England. It is delightful. Mostly original music along with arrangements of 2 Christmas standards. 

JazzChristmasCarol.jpg

Don't know whether this one's been mentioned or not, but it's one of my favorite Christmas-themed CD's. 

MI0001846341.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by John Tapscott

8 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Don't know whether this one's been mentioned or not, but it's one of my favorite Christmas-themed CD's. 

MI0001846341.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I posted about it in it's reissue packaging:

51CSYLB8eNL.jpg

It's the same album, a different marketing approach (attempting to cash in on that lounge music fad of several years ago).  I have the original cover that you posted.  It is an excellent holiday album whichever cover you choose.

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This one looks interesting but used copies are available only at rather high prices:

51Q2G8WKGEL.jpg

I have it.  It's okay, but there is nothing really all that impressive about it, so I would not recommend spending a lot of money to get a copy..  The one Warner Bros. album I'd really like to get is:

warner+bros.+stars+-+A.jpg

Robert Conrad singing "White Christmas"?  That's gotta be something special!

I generally find jazz Xmas albums rather winsome (give me Yorkshire folkies singing the wrong tune through their noses any day) but like this one:

Image result for jazz for joy

Alto Saxophone – Jesse Davis; Bass – Christian McBride; Drums – Billy Drummond; Flugelhorn – Don Sickler; Guitar – Mark Whitfield; Piano – Stephen Scott; Tenor Saxophone – Ron Blake; Trumpet – Nicholas Payton; Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Roy Hargrove; Vocals – Abbey Lincoln, Betty Carter, Shirley Horn

Rather subdued and 'joy' isn't the first word that comes to mind but worth it for the singers. 

I also like the Carla Bley. 

Otherwise the only ones I play every year are the Ella, a Nat King Cole compilation (not really jazz at all) and the Kenny Burrell.

This is one for free improv fans:

Image result for Joyeux Noel lol coxhill

Lol Coxhill, Steve Beresford, Ray Warleigh, John Zorn, Fred Frith...... Joyeux indeed. 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Joyeux-No%C3%ABl/release/1055747

4 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I generally find jazz Xmas albums rather winsome (give me Yorkshire folkies singing the wrong tune through their noses any day) but like this one:

Image result for jazz for joy

Alto Saxophone – Jesse Davis; Bass – Christian McBride; Drums – Billy Drummond; Flugelhorn – Don Sickler; Guitar – Mark Whitfield; Piano – Stephen Scott; Tenor Saxophone – Ron Blake; Trumpet – Nicholas Payton; Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Roy Hargrove; Vocals – Abbey Lincoln, Betty Carter, Shirley Horn

Rather subdued and 'joy' isn't the first word that comes to mind but worth it for the singers. 

Happened to put this into the player for breakfast this morning. I like that it was not just a compilation but all conceived and arranged for this disc by Don Sickler, who did a great job.

• 5 years later...

For those of you who, like me, were disappointed by the CD version of Columbia's Jingle Bell Jazz, which cut several tracks to make room for Wynton Marsalis and others, Columbia Legacy has released both versions as lossless downloads on Qobuz.

The original:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/jingle-bell-jazz-various-artists/pesmozd0hps0b

The new tunes recorded in the 1980s:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/jingle-bell-jazz-various-artists/0886443426030

As I can easily live without the Dukes of Dixieland and Morris Marlowe, I plan to buy the tracks by Chico Hamilton, Paul Horn, and the Manhattan Jazz All-Stars, and add them to my existing CD version.  

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

So I just bought the Chico Hamilton, Paul Horn, and Manhattan Jazz All-Stars tracks as lossless downloads, for about five bucks.  I then created a playlist with the original album, minus the Dukes and Marlowe Morris or whatever his name is, adding Herbie Hancock from the vinyl reissue (from the Cassavetes soundtrack), adding the 80s tracks at the end, and getting rid of Wynton.  It clocks in at 72 minutes.  Well worth it.  Nice to have the original album digitally.  

You choices are mostly sound but...the original LP of the 80s performances was released as God Rest Ye Merry Jazzmen and was really good up until the Wynton cut that closed out Side Two. Side One, with Dexter, McCoy, and Arthur Blythe is actually one hella good LP side, period 

Not to worry, though. At about the same time. Columbia also reissued the OG Jingle Bell Jazz which was verbatim, except for dropping the Dukes and replacing it with the Herbie cut.

The two LPs have given me years of yuletide glee as the two distinctly different records they once were 

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You choices are mostly sound but...the original LP of the 80s performances was released as God Rest Ye Merry Jazzmen and was really good up until the Wynton cut that closed out Side Two. Side One, with Dexter, McCoy, and Arthur Blythe is actually one hella good LP side, period 

Not to worry, though. At about the same time. Columbia also reissued the OG Jingle Bell Jazz which was verbatim, except for dropping the Dukes and replacing it with the Herbie cut.

The two LPs have given me years of yuletide glee as the two distinctly different records they once were 

I now remember seeing that God Rest Ye Merry Jazzmen album, but had forgotten about it. Yes, I had the version of Jingle Bell Jazz that dropped the Dukes for Herbie.

Did you know the Herbie track was originally released on the Cassavetes Faces soundtrack LP on Columbia?

58 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yep. Found the OST record used for not too much a  few years ago and carpe diem Ed. It seems to be a stealth Teo Macero project (of which there were more than a few!)

Yeah, I found that album in the early 2000s for cheap.  I got it mostly for the Cassavetes angle, and was surprised to hear the Jingle Bell Jazz track come from out of nowhere!

Ni0xMjIyLmpwZWc.jpegNjYtMzA0Ni5qcGVn.jpegNTUtMjM2My5qcGVn.jpegMDItNzg1My5qcGVn.jpeg

This one most of you may have missed. I was lucky to get serviced by Pacific St. This is one of the first Christmas CDs that we usually play and I love Eric Doney's inclusion of Bill Evans' "My Bells."

Ni05ODQyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I will be working on a Christmas show this week, so thanks for reviving this thread and suggesting favorites.

NzEtMjk2MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Tuba-Jolly-frame.jpg