BFT 153 (December 2016) link & discussion thread

felser

Here is the link to BFT 153.  BFT 153 may show at the bottom of the list if it is not at the top.  Please post your discussion in this thread.

http://thomkeith.net/index.php?cID=136

Tracks 1/2/12/13 are there because they represent my current state of mind (but I consider them great music also).  2 and 12 are gimmes as far as identification, but had to be here anyways.

Bonus questions:

1 - What psycho-drift connection do tracks 1 and 10 have

2 - What does this have to do with BFT 153?

Track 4

Tenor/trombone hard bop quintet playing tune very familiar to me, but of course I can't put a name to it. Does that electric piano mean this is the 70s? Guessing Slide Hampton and Harold Land or Teddy Edwards.

Track 9

Mahavishnu Orchestra?

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Track 4

Tenor/trombone hard bop quintet playing tune very familiar to me, but of course I can't put a name to it. Does that electric piano mean this is the 70s? Guessing Slide Hampton and Harold Land or Teddy Edwards.  

Track 9

Mahavishnu Orchestra?

Track 4 - Yes on the 70's (always a good guess on my tests, since that's when I "came of age" in the music), but no on the horn players.  You'll find the personnel interesting on this given your initial take.

Track 9 - Nope, Some aspects of this one may surprise people, though other aspects will be a giveaway to some.;

Track one - no idea !

Track 2 - Sounds like Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson on Strata-East.

Track 3 - Regina Carter on Verve?

Track 4 - The tune is Jimmy Heath's 'Far Away Lands'. I think this version is from his 'Love and Understanding' session for Muse. Curtis Fuller on trombone.

Track 5 - Sounds quite a bit like Azar Lawrence on tenor. Would this be from his 'People Moving' LP on Prestige with Patrice Rushen?

Track 6 - Tenor/trumpet with big band, familiar tune. I need this one ! Would that be John Stubblefield with the Julius Hemphil Big Band? Rassul Sidik on trumpet?

Track 7 - Thought for a moment it might be Empirical with Nat Facey on flute. Sounds more like Bryan Carrott on the vibes though.

Track 8 - I have this one, great album. Grachan Moncur III with 'New Africa' from 'Exploration'.  Billy Harper on tenor. Fine work from Andrew Cyrille on drums.

Track 9 - Lively fusion track. Sounds like it might be Carlos Santana.

Track 10 - Balkan influences here? Bela Fleck and the Fleck-tones?

Track 11 - Herbie H's 'I Have A Dream'. That sounds very much like board member David Weiss on trumpet  so must be by his 'Point of Departure' group on 'Venture Inward'.

Track 12 - More Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson. Nice.

Track 13 - Short solo piano ending, no idea on this one but a nice finish.

Very nice selection and enjoyed listening to it. Must get hold of Track 6 !

I drew a complete blank on the bonus. I guess there must be a Trump connection?

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Track one - no idea !

Track 2 - Sounds like Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson on Strata-East.  Yes.  Album and song for completeness sake?

Track 3 - Regina Carter on Verve? No.

Track 4 - The tune is Jimmy Heath's 'Far Away Lands'. I think this version is from his 'Love and Understanding' session for Muse. Curtis Fuller on trombone.

Correct.  Great album.  Heath was amazing for a brief period in the early 70's with 'The Gap Sealer' and this album.

Track 5 - Sounds quite a bit like Azar Lawrence on tenor. Would this be from his 'People Moving' LP on Prestige with Patrice Rushen?  No, this one is interesting.

Track 6 - Tenor/trumpet with big band, familiar tune. I need this one ! Would that be John Stubblefield with the Julius Hemphil Big Band? Rassul Sidik on trumpet?  Incorrect.  And yes, we all need this one!

Track 7 - Thought for a moment it might be Empirical with Nat Facey on flute. Sounds more like Bryan Carrott on the vibes though.

Incorrect.  Wonder if anyone will get this one.   Bryan Carrott played on some CD's my friend Ruth Naomi Floyd recorded in the mid-90's and I saw him play live with her at the Painted Bride Art Center, which was the best vibes playing I've ever seen live.  Amazing.  He was also very friendly at the recording sessions, and fascinating to talk with.  Loved his work in the Ralph Peterson Fo'tet.

Track 8 - I have this one, great album. Grachan Moncur III with 'New Africa' from 'Exploration'.  Billy Harper on tenor. Fine work from Andrew Cyrille on drums.

Yes.  I love that album, wanted people to hear this.

Track 9 - Lively fusion track. Sounds like it might be Carlos Santana.  It is Carlos Santana.  Further ID is what makes this of most interest to me.

Track 10 - Balkan influences here? Bela Fleck and the Fleck-tones?  Nope.  This one is just for fun.

Track 11 - Herbie H's 'I Have A Dream'. That sounds very much like board member David Weiss on trumpet  so must be by his 'Point of Departure' group on 'Venture Inward'.  Correct.  Was blown away by that group when I got the CD's, and wanted to share this. David is a monster musician and a great guy.

Track 12 - More Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson. Nice.  Pretty wonderful, yes.

Track 13 - Short solo piano ending, no idea on this one but a nice finish.  Reveal will shed more light.

Very nice selection and enjoyed listening to it. Must get hold of Track 6 !  Thank you!

I drew a complete blank on the bonus. I guess there must be a Trump connection?  No, nothing that abstract.  I can and will talk for hours on the state of the country and the election, but this isn't the forum.  But understand that I did not support either party or any of the most major candidates in this election or the primaries.  Our problems as a people run deeper than that.  And I live in one of the four "Philadelphia collar counties" that are so valued in presidential elections, so we just got BOMBARDED with this stuff.  Can't count how many times one or the other of the candidates or their surrogates was speaking within 20 minutes of my house.

Edited by felser

Here goes.

2. Circa '73, I guess? Not familiar to me, but probably is to others. The lyric might have gained some resonance since the Trumpocalypse.

3. Virtuosic show-of-force playing. I'm guessing this is European? Urbaniak, Ponty?

4. I have the feeling this is lurking in my collection somewhere. Jimmy Heath? Billy Higgins? Yep, found it. But sidewinder found it and posted it sooner.

5. Oh, this is also somehow familiar. I like the flow of the soprano solo. Is that trumpet Mr. Shaw? Everybody needs to go back and listen to the beautiful coda on this one again.

6. I was wondering if you'd include the guy who's in your avatar. You can't sneak this one past the Kansas City cadre of his fans. It's number 3 here.

7. Inspired by the sound of "Out to Lunch"? Is this James Newton? Love this track.

8. Sounds like the guy in your avatar is back. Wonderful trombone. The long swing section in the middle seems Mingus-inspired. I hope this is already in my collection somewhere, because if it isn't I really missed something. (D'oh! Sidewinder got this one first, and I should have.)

9. I don't have a guess, but please don't think that means I didn't enjoy it, 'cause I did.

10. Ditto.

11. The epidemic of records made to sound like "Miles Smiles" and "Nefertiti" continues. I like the head better than I like the solos, I confess, although I like where the tenor solo ends up.

12. Now more than ever.

A fun BFT, and I will be listening some more. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

Here goes.

2. Circa '73, I guess? Not familiar to me, but probably is to others. The lyric might have gained some resonance since the Trumpocalypse.

Recorded '73, released '74.  Already ID'd and will be very familar to many.  Would have resonated with me if we had a Trumpocalypse, a Hillaryocalypse, or a Bernieocalypse.  Everything is just so polarized, and no "side" should so self-confidently and blindly claim the moral high ground IMO.

3. Virtuosic show-of-force playing. I'm guessing this is European? Urbaniak, Ponty?  Vionlinist is not European.  This one is fun.

4. I have the feeling this is lurking in my collection somewhere. Jimmy Heath? Billy Higgins? Yep, found it. But sidewinder found it and posted it sooner.  Yessir.

5. Oh, this is also somehow familiar. I like the flow of the soprano solo. Is that trumpet Mr. Shaw? Everybody needs to go back and listen to the beautiful coda on this one again.  Not Mr. Shaw, but indeed a nice piece of music.  People will  enjoy the reveal on this.

6. I was wondering if you'd include the guy who's in your avatar. You can't sneak this one past the Kansas City cadre of his fans. It's number 3 here.

That album is a gem.  Everyone should grab it while they still can.  $10 total with shipping from different Amazon Marketplace dealers.

7. Inspired by the sound of "Out to Lunch"? Is this James Newton? Love this track.  Not Newton, though he would have been my first guess also if I didn't know better.  Yes, I always think of that Dolphy album when I hear this!  This album was a revelation to me when I discovered it.

8. Sounds like the guy in your avatar is back. Wonderful trombone. The long swing section in the middle seems Mingus-inspired. I hope this is already in my collection somewhere, because if it isn't I really missed something. (D'oh! Sidewinder got this one first, and I should have.)

I hope everyone gets this into their collection!

9. I don't have a guess, but please don't think that means I didn't enjoy it, 'cause I did.

10. Ditto.

These two will be fun reveals, especially #10.  #9 partially ID'd by Sidewinder.

11. The epidemic of records made to sound like "Miles Smiles" and "Nefertiti" continues. I like the head better than I like the solos, I confess, although I like where the tenor solo ends up. Already ID'd.  I like the head a lot also.

12. Now more than ever.  Amen.

A fun BFT, and I will be listening some more. Thanks!  Thank you!

Keeping track:  Full ID's made on cuts 2,4,6,8,11,12.  Partial ID on cut 9.  No ID on cuts 1,3,5,7.10,13.

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

On Track 3, the violin playing sounds an awful lot like the violin playing on Zappa's "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh". I have never heard any albums by Don "Sugarcane" Harris as a leader. Is this Harris on violin?

Yes indeed, good job.  Anyone else for further ID on this track?

Track 9 has Carlos Santana on it. I have heard a lot of his albums, under both his own solo leadership and under the group name Santana--but not all of the albums.

I hear Neal Schon on guitar. There is that sound he had when he was with Santana.

But this sounds like a style of composition that Santana sometimes recorded in the past twenty to twenty five years. It is a sort of pop-influenced formula tune that I do not like that much as a composition.

So how many times did Neal Schon record with Carlos Santana in later years? I do not know.  

2 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track 9 has Carlos Santana on it. I have heard a lot of his albums, under both his own solo leadership and under the group name Santana--but not all of the albums.

I hear Neal Schon on guitar. There is that sound he had when he was with Santana.

But this sounds like a style of composition that Santana sometimes recorded in the past twenty to twenty five years. It is a sort of pop-influenced formula tune that I do not like that much as a composition.

So how many times did Neal Schon record with Carlos Santana in later years? I do not know.  

All of your statements are correct.  Someone will figure this out soon enough given your clues.

Ok, finally got everything set up, now with the usual thanks and disclaimers firmly in place, let's play!

TRACK ONE - Opening had me expecting Terry Callier, but nope. No idea. Sounds like she's hoping. I wish her luck.

TRACK TWO - Gil Scott (not Jill Scott!). Funny how the classics never go out of style.

TRACK THREE - Sounds like Sugarcane. No idea which album, a quick contrast of this track time with what I can find of the MPS albums shows nothing, but I don't know where else he's recorded, the guy was around forever. It is kind of a drag that the tempo slows down a little after some point. I was maybe thinking John Blair (remember him?) but I don't think he ever made a record like this. That guitarist has a weird kind of Tiny Grimes PLUNCK-iness, so I don't know, I don't think that's Tiny Grimes on guitar.

TRACK FOUR - Jimmy Heath from the early-ish 70s, which were, I think, his best years overall in terms of making records. Curtis Fuller, what is this one? Released on Landmark after the fact, correct? Anyway, that's a good record, as was anything Jimmy Heath showed up on or around during that time. Also interesting here...you can hear the "Philly" sound in him here and how it also shows up in Grover. Some people don't like to hear that (for any number of reasons), but sorry, there it is. Grover had some Jimmy Heath I him, which is how it should be. Never did get why Fuller was pulled back in the mix with a little extra reverb...somebody made that choice for some reason, no doubt. I just don't get it.

TRACK FIVE - Hmmm....sounds really familiar, but maybe just because of overall tendencies rather than specifics...also sounds sorta not fully formed in spots (but just spots), the mix suggests a Black Jazz record, how the horns are pulled back and the Rhodes and bass pushed up front. Is that Harold Vick on here?

TRACK SIX - Billy. That's all I feel like I need to say, because that's really all there is to say. But ok, Mark Masters does good work, check him out too.

TRACK SEVEN - a 70s Hutch BN with Ramon Morris on flute? Sounds like the flute is intended as the leader, but the band is more interesting to  me. Whoever it is, they paid attention to the mix, that's a good thing to do. And the piece develops nicely. Can't say it blows me away or anything, but it's good, they did what they set out to do and did it well, even that little Manteca thing that the bass line keeps referencing. I might like to hear what this sounds like in context of the entire album

TRACK EIGHT - Mark Masters doing more good work, this time with Grachan and again with Billy. That's another good record.

TRACK NINE - This type of thing just sounds silly to me these days.

TRACK TEN - Beach Boys Party gone wrong! Dick Dale & The Ventures break in the room and start pissing on the food, Brian gets his feelings hurt and retreats to write something sensitive, Marilyn feigns anger but does not avert her gaze, people get laid, some now, some later, and sooner or later the cats eat the rest of the food, even the pissed-on stuff. Doesn't sound silly like #9, but I'm not into it, like, how may layers of reference are allowable before it becomes all about the reference, and how much pissed-on food do you have to eat to get the point and form an opinion??

TRACK ELEVEN - Sounds like a Tony band. I like it for the band sound, sounds like a good band, any band that has Tony on drums is going to sound good...but wait, that tenor player is not a toney tenor player, so...what is this? Still sounds like a good band, but if not Tony...hell, Tony sounds great even when it's not Tony.

TRACK TWELVE - Oh hey, Gil again!

TRACK THIRTEEN - Moody!

Nice mix, thanks!