Curtis Fuller

Milestones

I'm wondering what people think of Curtis Fuller.

Certainly he was a major of force on trombone a generation after J.J. (or more like half-generation).  I find that I have  decent amount of his work, though mainly as a sideman.  He was often under-utilized, with only a brief spot, or sometimes not even a solo. Of course, he is great on the first Jazztet record, as well several encounters with Benny Golson.  He was also a member of the Jazz Messengers for about four year, and I have a lot of those records.

But I'm trying to hear him more as a solo artist, and to that end have just acquired The Opener and Soul Trombone--worthy records both.

Try the two Mainstream albums from 1972 & 1973. Neither are perfect, and fuller is not always the strongest player on either date, but both are interesting records overall. And on Smokin' you get some really good early 70s Jimmy Heath, of which there has yet to be "enough".

If you like Blakey's Prestige records of the same time, these are in a similar vein, although not as well produced or as consistently well-played, Bob Shad was really getting lax as far as that thing went.

I don't think he was in the same league as J.J., but seemed to make a lot of great dates.  I saw him once at the Jazz Standard in a group headed by Billy Higgins, with John Ore, James Spaulding, Don Sickler and probably some others.  This was around 2000.  He wasn't playing on the same level as the others; maybe he was just having an off-night.  I remember someone, either here or on the BNBB, saying he only had one lung.  But hey, all of those dates from the late-'50's onwards are so special, because they just don't make 'em like that anymore, that I'll still snap up anything I can find.

I found this recently on a Savoy reissue LP.  Cover says it's a Tommy Flanagan date, but the liner notes say Fuller headed the session:

R-5068007-1400032810-5426.jpeg.jpg

Original cover:

1551304.jpgZ

Pretty regular leader dates form 1957-1962, and then nothing until 1972-1973, and then nothing again until 1978, and no real return to anything resembling "regular output" until 2004. I've heard random accounts of various health issues, plus I believe he found job security with Basie for a while (as did Fred Wesley!). This life has its vagaries. Go figure.

In the liner notes for the Savoy Fuller/Flanagan date I mentioned above, they interviewed producer Ozzie Cadena:

Cadena surmises that Fuller was the "straw boss" of the session, by virtue of the fact that aside from the three standard tunes, all of the compositions are Fuller originals.  "Curtis was very aggressive about doing recording dates," says Cadena.  "He made a lot of dates and contributed a lot of tunes."

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Pretty regular leader dates form 1957-1962, and then nothing until 1972-1973, and then nothing again until 1978, and no real return to anything resembling "regular output" until 2004. I've heard random accounts of various health issues, plus I believe he found job security with Basie for a while (as did Fred Wesley!). This life has its vagaries. Go figure.

Interesting - the one time I saw him was at a Charlie Parker London tribute in 1980 I think. Around the time he recorded 'Fire and Filligree'. Huge tone, I recall.

On 12/1/2016 at 3:28 PM, JSngry said:

Try the two Mainstream albums from 1972 & 1973. Neither are perfect, and fuller is not always the strongest player on either date, but both are interesting records overall. And on Smokin' you get some really good early 70s Jimmy Heath, of which there has yet to be "enough".

Seconded.  Always had a soft spot for these two.  Both Amazon and iTunes have as downloads.  There is a Japanese CD of Crankin' for $606.39 (plus $3.99 shipping) on Amazon ...

On 12/2/2016 at 9:10 PM, JSngry said:

Curtis has definitely had some health issues over the years, and really hasn't been the same player since back in the '70s.   He spent a number of years in the '70s and '80s in and out of Detroit as a teacher.  I know someone well who studied under him and found him to be a very tough disciplinarian (but very helpful one too).  A real stickler for practice fundamentals and reading ability.  Given his problems with his chops though, he had to be talked back into playing publicly in the '90s, but he obviously enjoyed being back on stage so much that he became a regular performer again.

Edited by Al in NYC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Today included some very rare - rare for these days, at least - record and CD shopping for Mr. and Ms. TTK.  I picked up several $2.99 jazz CDs.  Of these, I'm most excited about Curtis Fuller and Hampton Hawes with French Horns.  Would you consider this chamber jazz?  I love the color that French horns provide in chamber jazz, and I was especially happy that David Amram is one of the players.  

Never cared for the Curtis Fuller Mainstream dates as  with many, perhaps most, of those Mainstream recordings by a variety of musicians. There is a feeling about them that does not work for me. Probably too much electronics, an attempt to fit with the vibe of the times? And as Jim said, Bobby Shad's producing may have also played a part. Too bad because the "Smokin" album features many of my favorite musicians - along with Curtis, Bill Hardman, Jimmy Heath and Cedar Walton.

I would much prefer to hear them on the numerous other albums they made.

Just found the one below, and and digging it a lot after just hearing about half of it thus far.

71RcXj-EM-L._AC_UY218_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 8:00 PM, Milestones said:

It's interesting that on The Opener he led off both sides 1 and 2 with ballads. That must be quite rare in Blue Note history.

I would definitely rank this among my favorite BN fifties dates, it’s very distinctive stuff. I have and enjoy several others of his, and of course many sideman dates, but The Opener is one I go for often. I’m glad it got a US CD release right under the wire.