The Duke Box 2 - Storyville, December 2016

xybert

2365.jpg?height=370&width=370&scale=canv

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/products/the-duke-box-2-1088617

"Spanning the years in which Ellington regularly toured Europe and Scandinavia, The Duke Box 2 offers a rich selection of performances illustrating a tirelessly inventive musical spirit on tour with changing personnel and occasional guest artists. CD3 features never before released live recordings from a 1963 concert in Gröna Lund, Stockholm—a veritable treasure for the committed Ellington fan. The box also includes the well-renowned Jaywalker (CD5) and Piano Player (CD4) albums whose music always deserve a re-visiting. Among other gems are late 1970s recordings from New York, some of the last music Ellington ever put out."

At the price it's worth it for me for the 1963 Stockholm concert, Jaywalker and Piano Player alone; very curious to know what's on the other 4 discs. Release date is showing as 9 December on Amazon Japan. What a pleasant surprise just before Christmas!

He died in 1974, so I'm not sure what "are late 1970s recordings from New York".  Maybe something got lost in translation.

A friend told me about a concert he saw, I think at Lehman College in the Bronx, maybe a year before Duke died.  Ellington opened for Mandrill (!) (maybe it was Osibisa).  Duke comes out and introduces the band, one by one.  Then he says "And now, the youngest person in the band, on piano," and he sat down and began playing.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

He died in 1974, so I'm not sure what "are late 1970s recordings from New York".  Maybe something got lost in translation.

I read that as recordings made in the 1970s, late in his life. Could've been worded less ambiguously.

It looks like a couple of the discs of this set could be taken up by the 2 disc Grona Lund set alankin posted above, and then disc 3 could indeed feature any number of previously unreleased tracks from the same concert (again, it's worded in a way that can be interpreted as a full disc of never released recordings or it could just be a couple of tracks).

As long as the set is made up of post-1950 Storyville releases i'll be happy as i don't currently have any of it.

16 hours ago, xybert said:

2365.jpg?height=370&width=370&scale=canv

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/products/the-duke-box-2-1088617

"Spanning the years in which Ellington regularly toured Europe and Scandinavia, The Duke Box 2 offers a rich selection of performances illustrating a tirelessly inventive musical spirit on tour with changing personnel and occasional guest artists. CD3 features never before released live recordings from a 1963 concert in Gröna Lund, Stockholm—a veritable treasure for the committed Ellington fan. The box also includes the well-renowned Jaywalker (CD5) and Piano Player (CD4) albums whose music always deserve a re-visiting. Among other gems are late 1970s recordings from New York, some of the last music Ellington ever put out."

At the price it's worth it for me for the 1963 Stockholm concert, Jaywalker and Piano Player alone; very curious to know what's on the other 4 discs. Release date is showing as 9 December on Amazon Japan. What a pleasant surprise just before Christmas!

Where do you see the price?

Here is are the Storyville releases that I'm aware that were recorded from the mid-1950s through the 1970s:  In Munich (1958), The Piano Player (1961-1971), Masters of Jazz - Vol.6 (1962-66), In Grona Lund (1963, 2 CDs), The Jaywalker (1966-67), New York, NY (1970-71), and part of The Duke In Washington (1955-62, also has 1943-46).

It seems everything included is already issued except for perhaps some additional material from Grona Lund.

Edited by alankin

4 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

Since I presently don't own any of the Storyville releases, where would one recommend a good place to start?

Well, the first box set is full of great music. As is this one I guess (Piano Player and Jay Walker are excellent, and I bet all the rest of the material is as well.) So either box would be a good start; depends I guess which you are most in the mood for, earlier or later Duke.

8 hours ago, hbbfam said:

Where do you see the price?

I buy from Amazon Japan, currently the price is about 5000.00 JPY. With the exchange rate to NZD i was able to pre-order this plus Treasury Shows 22 for about the cost of 3 new CDs including shipping. Massive bargain for me.

6 hours ago, alankin said:

Here is are the Storyville releases that I'm aware that were recorded from the mid-1950s through the 1970s:  In Munich (1958), The Piano Player (1961-1971), Masters of Jazz - Vol.6 (1962-66), In Grona Lund (1963, 2 CDs), The Jaywalker (1966-67), New York, NY (1970-71), and part of The Duke In Washington (1955-62, also has 1943-46).

It seems everything included is already issued except for perhaps some additional material from Grona Lund.

I think there's the Storyville version of Toga Bravo as well. Looking forward to seeing what ends up being on the set but it's all gravy for me.

from http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=2800143

CD1. at Birdland (Live; Birdland NYC, November 20th-24th, 1952) 
CD2. Kongressaal, Deutsches Museum, Munich, (Live; November 14th, 1958)
CD3. Grøna Lund Tivoli, Stockholm (Live; June 6th 1963) 
CD4. The Piano Player (Studio; Solo 1961-71) 
CD5. The Jaywalker (Studio; 1966-67) 
CD6. New York, New York (Studio; 1970-72) 
CD7. Togo Brava Suite (Studio; 1971) 
DVD: Pathé Studios, NYC. Jan. 9th, 1962 ((Film titled "Goodyear Jazz Concert"))

In 1963 Duke played at Grona Lund Tuesday June 4th till Sunday June 9th. Performances were recorded every day. Two shows on both Saturday and Sunday.

Except for the 2nd concert on Saterday (called a Dance date in the New Desor) the playlists are almost the same:

Take the A train (theme), Afro Bossa, Perdido, Medely, Take the A train (theme). June 4th no end theme recorded. June 6th Concert ends with Satin doll.

The dance date is on the Storyville 2CD set issued in 2014.

For a new CD recorded at Grona Lund Storyville chose the June 6th concert. Sound samples are up now on the Storyville site

I have 4 cds comprising the complete 2nd show from Grona Lund for 6/9/63, apparently taken from a radio broadcast, so I suppose the 2 cds in the above box could be the balance of the show.  My source had a recording of the first show as well but he told me they were virtually identical.  Each disc is about 45 minutes (corresponding to a side of a cassette, I assume).

Mine has been shipped two days ago, I expect it just before or right after x-mas, I guess ... I ordered it with amazon.de when it was displayed as "currently not in stock", but a mere couple of days later, it was shipped ... shows again as "currently not in stock", second offer here:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01N53EK3O/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Irritatingly, they display a vendor (one that's not shipping to Switzerland, and I guess not to anywhere outside Germany) as the "main" offer. I guess amazon itself will eventually get it again, so ...

I got mine Saturday, from ebay . . . but haven't been able to open it yet, been a busy time including our family gift exchange as my sister is up from Virginia and won't be here past today. So I got to give my Dad the German edition of the Mozart 225 box set from Universal. He was overjoyed and moved!

The only 'new' material on here is the single CD of Gröna Lund material which does not replicate anything from the earlier 2CD set but is only about thirty minutes long and consists mainly of 'the dreaded medley'. Everything else has been out before on individual releases, including the DVD material - the Goodyear jazz show. Worth bearing in mind if you have collected all the previous Storyville releases, though.