Blue and Lonesome, but in a good way...

danasgoodstuff

I think I fall in the YMMV bucket :)  I have listened to it a couple times and to me it sounds like a competent, if somewhat sterile blues album.  Nothing wrong with the Stones putting it out and if helps bring attention to the genre, great.  I don't think it is either a remarkable Stones or blues album.

Edited by Eric

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I think I fall in the YMMV bucket :)  I have listened to it a couple times and to me it sounds like a competent, if somewhat sterile blues album.  Nothing wrong with the Stones putting it out and if helps bring attention to the genre, great.  I don't think it is either a remarkable Stones or blues album.

Hey, that's why we have discussions...thanks for keeping it respectful.  I'm willing to admit I may be projecting a bit 'cause I'm really enjoying being more excited about this than any Stones album since at least Tattoo You, 35 years ago.

11 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Hey, that's why we have discussions...thanks for keeping it respectful.  I'm willing to admit I may be projecting a bit 'cause I'm really enjoying being more excited about this than any Stones album since at least Tattoo You, 35 years ago.

Yeah, I didn't mean to mute your enthusiasm!  I had high hopes for this one - maybe too high.  I was hoping for more of a snarling guitar fest.  So part of my reaction is really more "too much Jagger" and not enough of Keith and the guys.

On 12/3/2016 at 0:15 PM, JSngry said:

and for me, that was because it had Sonny Rollins on it.

HA! I had completely forgotten about Rollins being on there. Haven't listened to that album in a long time. Little T&A might have been their last classic. 

On 12/3/2016 at 9:16 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

I actually thought there were some really great tunes on Steel Wheels. All the singles from that album were strong, IMO. The rest was filler. Kind of a latter day It's Only Rock And Roll.