Humming & Whistling At The Same Time?

JSngry

So...I'm sitting around just now doing nothing except practicing my whistling (which isn't very good) and my humming (which is also not very good) and for whatever reason, attention drift, probably, I started doing both at the same time. It sounded like a whistler using a Varitone (or maybe a hummer using a Multivider), and I was like, whoa, this sounds familiar, but from where?

Surely this is either a commercial gimmick and/or a folk tradition somewhere? But who/where?

As always, thanks in advance!

Expect a professor of ethnomusicology at your door at any moment armed with notebook and recording equipment. These dying folk traditions must be captured. With any luck you might end up on a Smithsonian record...or with your sounds absorbed into a highbrow string quartet (don't forget to ask about royalties). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yeah, but you do this? 

I actually saw this done live and the power of the singing hits you head on if you're standing in front of the monks. It is just like standing in from of a speaker or amp and playing loud music. You can fell it resonate through you.  

Edited by Hardbopjazz

As a product of both the 1970s and the Nonesuch Explorer series, yeah, I've been dabbling with attempting that for a while now. Only been able to replicate the effect when I've had a cold or otherwise had shredded vocal chords. And that's not what you're supposed to do, you're supposed to use your oral cavity/skull as a resonator to get the overtones to pop on out like that.

But yeah, the whole Tibetan Buddist/Bavarian Illuminati/Trilateral Comission thing, back then, how could you miss it? :g

• 4 years later...