Out of character recordings.

Scott Dolan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2016 at 11:11 AM, clifford_thornton said:

I'm not sure about "out of character" but at the very least Art Taylor's appearance on a session led by Frank Wright for America Records in 1970 is pretty intriguing. The date produced Wright's "Uhuru Na Umoja" and Noah Howard's "Space Dimension." Taylor acquits himself very well in this context and the music is quite free.

The expat Parisian scene around that time was pretty interesting and also resulted in Shepp and Mobley collaborating on recordings for BYG, for example, and Philly Joe's interest in the avant-garde (resulting in dates for BYG, America, and Vogue), the latter seeming to be at least partly of a political nature.

How about Eddie Jefferson on a Frank Wright album.https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Wright-Kevin-My-Dear-Son/release/2218753

On 12/7/2016 at 0:52 PM, Al in NYC said:

Scott!

Facebook?  Oh no, not me...

Out of character Ella?  Have to mention this album:

o_119.jpg

I don't know if Ella was ever really "out of character".  She may have tackled uncharacteristic material from time to time, but she never lost her essential "Ellaness" in doing so.  Her gospel album for example.  She was certainly no match for Mahalia or Sister Rosetta, but she respectfully and reverently sang this material which would seem "out of character" for her while fully retaining her inherent style.

This 4 CD set has one set that strikes me as out of character. The Barry Harris set has Barry playing with musicians who play in a style very different than  one can find on any of his other numerous sessions as leader or sideman. Don Cherry, Steve Lacy, and Roswell Rudd are not musicians Barry has ever recorded with, and is unlikely to have played with on gigs.

MI0000162256.jpg

Ha, "there is a loose moose aboot this hoose!!" :D

As for the line-up, probably just a case of fairly well-paying session work, and there they had a bit of fun of their own (like "Boots Brown"). If you looked closer, there were quite a few British jazzmen of note to be found in the backing groups to Brit rock'n'rollers. Would Ike Isaacs or Johnny Hawksworth, for example, later on have liked to be meminded of their backing work for Tommy Steele, I wonder?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Ha, "there is a loose moose aboot this hoose!!" :D

As for the line-up, probably just a case of fairly well-paying session work, and there they had a bit of fun of their own (like "Boots Brown"). If you looked closer, there were quite a few British jazzmen of note to be found in the backing groups to Brit rock'n'rollers. Would Ike Isaacs or Johnny Hawksworth, for example, later on have liked to be meminded of their backing work for Tommy Steele, I wonder?

The incomparable Phil Seamen, backing a boy band who couldn't come in together on a recording, is reputed to have said, "Hurry up! Hurry up! I turn into a pumpkin at midnight!" :lol:

Edited by BillF

Jack Goodwin’s Warne Marsh site: http://www.warnemarsh.info/discography_2.htm

50-0300 HADDA BROOKS.
NYC, c. March, 1950.

Lee Konitz, as; Warne Marsh, ts; Hadda Brooks, p; unknown, b & d.

1 HADDA'S BOOGIE DLGF-50286 2:55

Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz are confined to playing written riffs on this track and do not play on the other track of this 78 record - “I Hadn’t Anyone ‘Till You”

all R London 30116

Q