Audio Bargains

GA Russell

Forty years ago I was under the impression that prices for stereo systems were at their lowest when the college kids went back to school.  Perhaps that is still true.

But this time of year might be good as well.  So here we go.

Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver with Built-In Wi-Fi and Bluetooth - $200 off - $799.00

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY

Edited by GA Russell

They are 3.5mm jacks that you can connect seperate components with, and they'll send a trigger signal. 

For example: my preamp is wired to my amp, which is wired to my DAC. So, the only thing I have to do is hit the power button on the preamp remote. Preamp comes on, triggers the amp to come on, which triggers the DAC to come on. 

Same thing to turn them all off. Hit "standby" on the preamp remote, preamp shuts down, then the amp shuts down, then the DAC shuts down.

Pretty sweet! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 3:24 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with the concept until I got all my Emotiva gear a few years ago. 

My 1997 McIntosh MCD7009 cd player already had that 3.5mm jack. It is a convenient feature, but nothing new.

McIntosh had first started using these cables for data control since the mid-1990s, I've been told. Don't know if they were the first ones, though.

10 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Yeah, I have no idea how long the technology has been around. I don't remember having triggers on any of my previous CD or DVD players. Perhaps they were only a feature on slightly higher end makes, like McIntosh, for example. 

Still a really cool discovery for me, no matter how old the technology! :)

Yeah, I've only had the Mac pre and amp for a little over a year, so I've only had this feature in use on the old Mac cd player for just as long. Preamp controls the amp and the other Mac pieces in the chain. I suppose it can also power up other brands units with the 3.5mm inputs.

Also, I think my power surge protection unit from Monster Power has a remote, and the 3.5mm trigger outputs for powering units up and down. I never used it, though.

It is a heck of a convenient feature , since I can use just one remote now.

Edited by Dmitry

Very odd. I wonder why they stopped putting those on subsequent models. It's funny, I'd actually have no use for either of those features with my current system, but find it odd they'd regress in their models like that. 

Maybe most folks didn't need them either? Did you use either of them? 

Just as confusing is why they completely discontinued that line, and never replaced it...