François Tusques' Free Jazz

OliverM

I read on French online magazine Citizen Jazz that François Tusques' seminal "Free Jazz" is going to be reissued on LP by Finders Keepers with a bonus CD of live tracks taken from 1965 and 1966 concerts of the then "Bernard Vitet sextet". Apparently INA did not accept or respond to Tusques'  asking them the tapes of the concert given on the eve or recording "Free Jazz". So instead Tusques drew these undated tapes from his stuff. Somehow the people from Resonance records seem to collaborate more successfully with the people at INA...

Ah, great news! Love Free Jazz and have heard at least some of the INA stuff -- albeit later and credited to Beb Guérin. This'll be a real treat. 

I think I mentioned in the INA/Resonance thread how ridiculous it was that labels have access to that treasure trove of stuff and choose to put out the most obvious things one can think of. Avant-garde music from Barney Wilen or Joachim Kühn that few have heard? Meh, pass... 

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, bertrand said:

1. What obvious stuff are you thinking of? The Larry Young set?

2. How is the Intercommunal Music record with Alan Shorter and Sunny Murray?

Bought "Intercommunal Music" when it came out - doesn't stick in the memory and as I don't have it any more I must have decided it wasn't worth hanging on to (big fan of both Shorter and Murray, so I assume the record must have been a disappointment).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 2:08 PM, mjazzg said:

unreserved recommendation for the music and the reissue from me

Done it.

I found it in a shop on a post-COVID shopping trip and decided that it was so important to support struggling small businesses that I really needed to buy it on the spot (or something like that...).

I haven’t played it yet, but I’m looking forward to it as it is one of my favourites from the early French scene. 

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Nice that a post-lockdown shop had it readily in stock and just waiting for you.

I've not done a physical shop yet, I need to see if Honest Jons are open, also a couple of shops I happened upon online in Hackney (aren't they all nowadays).

Last time that I checked HJ was still closed  but shipping, although that may have changed this week. Which Hackney shops do you go to? 

HJ definitely shipping as I know to my lockdown cost!

I've only previously been to YoYo when it was Cosmos, Low Company and Love Vinyl.

I had a good online experience with World of Echo so will visit them, I came across one online in Mare Street market and I think there's one in Clapton I remember reading about. I suspect there's more.

How about you? Is it a locality you get to often? I recall you posted about YoYo

The whole shift east has me needing to reacquaint with everywhere east of Dalston. Used go there thirty years ago but not so recently - no tube 😃

They are cropping up everywhere, there's even one just round the corner in Wood Green now , who'd have thought it!

Edited by mjazzg

On 8/8/2017 at 7:26 PM, bertrand said:

1. What obvious stuff are you thinking of? The Larry Young set?

2. How is the Intercommunal Music record with Alan Shorter and Sunny Murray?

Yes, the Larry Young. Intercommunal Music is excellent in my opinion, but also very, very out.

Would love to hear that bonus CD of Vitet-led music.

• 1 month later...

'Free Jazz' was my entry point not very long ago, because of this thread.  I consider it right up there.

Others on this board know a lot more about Tusques than I do but two very good albums I've listened to this morning and that took me to Finders Keepers and the new reissue are 

14CACKLP-SITE-400x400.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Finders Keepers catalogue is all on Spotify if you're so inclined

and not a reissue but still very good indeed

a2632621833_10.jpg

https://nivuniconnu.bandcamp.com/album/intercommunal-dialogue-1-2  beware the LP is cut at 45rpm

Edited by mjazzg

Similarly for me really.  I've been a big Sclavis and Texier fan for many years but never really looked backwards. Now Tusques, Portal, Jouk Minor have been investigated largely due to posts here.  Alongside which i very much enjoy a lot of the Souffle Continu label's reissues