Anybody see the Oscars??

I thought it was kind of cool that The Fog of War won for best documentary. Errol Morris was way overdue for some "official" recognition.

If only they could do without renditions of the best song nominations maybe they could get the running time under 3 hours. I don't know anybody who gives a damn about those songs.

Kind of disappointing that Clint Eastwood didn't win. Call me a mouldy fig if you will, but I much prefer old time story telling over the computer generated, style over substance movie making that seems to dominate Hollywood these days.

I really don't see LOTR that way, but whatever. I liked Mystic River a lot but I'm glad LOTR won. If you get a chance, watch some of the appendixes on the DVDs and I'm sure you'll appreciate just what an amazing accomplishment those movies are, not just from a technical standpoint.

Never mind the Oscars, how about the Razzies. Far more entertaining.

And the Razzie goes to: "Gigli," "Gigli" and "Gigli." Plus another three for good measure. In almost a sweep of the Golden Raspberry Awards that "honor" the worst of the worst in Hollywood, "Gigli" was named worst picture, Jennifer Lopez worst actress, Ben Affleck worst actor and the two as worst screen couple. Martin Brestalso took the Razzies for worst director and screenplay for the film. The movie fell short of the record: seven Razzies, a dishonor held by "Showgirls" and "Battlefield Earth." Among other winners this year, Sylvester Stallone padded his Razzie résumé with a record 10th prize, this time for worst supporting actor in "Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over." Stallone's past Razzies include one for worst actor of the 20th century. Demi Mooretook the supporting-actress Razzie for her comeback role in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," which was voted worst remake or sequel. "Dr. Seuss' the Cat in the Hat" won for worst excuse for a movie. The Razzies were voted on by 578 Golden Raspberry Award Foundation members in 39 U.S. states and 15 foreign countries.

Is it just me, or does Sophia Coppolla look kinda nasty in a "I might not be a classic "babe" but I've got more than enough brains, imagination, self-confidence and energy to fuck your brains out and leave in the morning without fixing you breakfast and you'll be dying to get back together and I will but only if I really want to so deal with it and if you're man enogh to handle it we'll see" kinda way?

I think I like that.

me too :wub:

That's the best description I could wish for her looks.

Would be cool to see her acting (if she can, of course).

ubu

Never mind the Oscars, how about the Razzies. Far more entertaining.

Sure it's more entertaining, but: why not just focus on some serious stuff in between? Look at Cannes, Venice, Locarno... even Berlin is a lot more interesting than the AAs, in my opinion.

And after they gave their awards to some seriously dedicated cineasts last year (Polanski etc), nothing else than what did happen could've been expected for this year.

ubu

I thought the trilogy was pompous and a big bore. Of the bad guys, only Gollum was humanized. Every speech was so full of self importance. There was no intellecual stimulation. The bad guys were totally defeated once the ring was destroyed. Who needed the big time armies to defeat the evildoers. Maybe Frodo could have used more assistance. After all the ring was everything.

My top eleven:

Mystic River

21 Grams

House of Sand and Fog

Finding Nemo

In America

Monster

Dirty Pretty Things

Monster

Lost in Translation

Swimming Pool

American Splendor

All ahead of the Rings movies. Special effects don't make a movie special.

"Battlefield Earth."

Just a staggeringly bad movie. Absolutely putrid. Worse than Ishtar. :tdown

Speaking of LOTR, I enjoyed the 3 movies from the entertainment standpoint, but it's hard to be impressed by a movie battle when the bad guys NEVER CAN FIGHT WORTH A DAMN!!!! Their bullets/arrows/spears rarely hit a target and none of them can fight. And they die when you blow on them. Remember Star Wars?

And every time Frodo gets "hurt" and we go into "crisis slow motion" there's always some mitigating circumstance that allows him to survive. That shit works when you're a 16 year old at the movies, but I guess I've become less able to achieve total "suspension of belief" or whatever you call it.

I still enjoyed the trilogy, though. Even I could kick ass in that world! :ph34r: