Anybody see the Oscars??

OK, this is the official "Oscars" thread, so discuss anything you like about the awards show right here...

BUT, I have a "musical-instrument"-related question for anyone who saw the Oscars tonight. What the heck was that instrument that Sting played?? It looked like an overgrown lute, but he played it by continuously turning a crank on the end of the instrument, which somehow caused the sound. I never did see his other hand long enough (or close enough) to get any sense as to if the instrument had strings, or some other kind of mechanism to designate the pitches.

My guess (and this is just a guess), is that the crank turned a wheel that rubbed up against the strings of the instrument, much like a bow on a violin rubs up against strings. If that were the case, then the instrument would produce “drone” tones that play continuously, and that change pitch (somehow) by using the non-crank hand.

What the heck was that thing, and how did it work?? Is my guess as to how it functions even close??

(And, failing an answer to that question, please feel free to discuss the Oscars here too.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I like this quote from their FAQ:

It's pretty easy to learn to play a simple tune. As with any instrument, it's easier to learn if you have an instructor to give you some pointers in the beginning, especially when learning the dog.

Learning the dog, eh? Is that anything like McDuff's "Walkin' The Dog"?

Real Audio - "Walkin' The Dog"

Windows Media - Walkin' The Dog

I like Annie Lenox and didn't even mind Sting's organ grinder bit, but was it just me or were those nominated songs a little too similar? All were very "folksy", but

I was noddin' big time. -_-

No surprises tonight. I called 'em all.

We just rented "Lost in Translation" and while I thought it was a very good film, I didn't really think Bill Murray's performance was necessarily Oscar material, especially compared to Sean Penn's.

All those tunes were pretty awful, I thought. Even though I really enjoyed Eugene Levy & Catherine O'Hara (as "Mitch & Mickey") doing their Mighty Wind tune, I don't think it is a great song.

Otherwise, not much to say about the show tonight. Pretty boring this time around. Too much LOTR, if you ask me (not that any one did ... ^_^ )

I really enjoyed Eugene Levy & Catherine O'Hara (as "Mitch & Mickey") doing their Mighty Wind tune, I don't think it is a great song.

Yeah, that was good. It's funny that that song was nominated, it's really just a folk parody. It was intended to be "cutesy". Just shows that there was a dearth of good music this time around.

I love all the "mock-umentaries". Spinal Tap, Waiting For Guffman, Best in Show and Mighty Wind. The first two were my favorites though.

Yep, BOOOOOORING! Too damn long....Billy was funny as usual, though were does he go after the first hour???? Hows about spreading the same time for him throughout the show???

My biggest pet peeve every year is with the people who have died in the last year...just silent clips, ones put together by interns no doubt...who don't even know who the hell Jack Elam, or Jeannie Crain is anyway. Perhaps I am too cruel, NO ONE was applauding towards the end, who the Fuck is Ann Miller??? Get back to the show! <_<

The one song I really liked was Belleville Rendez-vous, full of energy after all the dull as dishwater numbers before it...Who was the girl singer, anyway? Bettie, Bette?? Googling kept pulling up Bette Midler, is was not her, but she was good!

My biggest pet peeve every year is with the people who have died in the last year...just silent clips, ones put together by interns no doubt...who don't even know who the hell Jack Elam, or Jeannie Crain is anyway. Perhaps I am too cruel, NO ONE was applauding towards the end, who the Fuck is Ann Miller??? Get back to the show! <_<

Ah yes, the famous "kack crawl". The I-didn't-know-he/she-was-dead or I-thought-he/she-died-a-long-time-ago.

Berigan, you don't know who Ann Miller is? She was a babe (dancer/actress) in her day, but kind of became a parody in later years. I think that Molly Shannon's character on SNL ("I'm 50!!") was based on Ann Miller somewhat.

Billy was good for the most part, but damn! he's starting to look old. As is Diane Keaton. And Clint Eastwood. And me........... :(

Ah yes, the famous "kack crawl". The I-didn't-know-he/she-was-dead or I-thought-he/she-died-a-long-time-ago.

Berigan, you don't know who Ann Miller is? She was a babe (dancer/actress) in her day, but kind of became a parody in later years. I think that Molly Shannon's character on SNL ("I'm 50!!") was based on Ann Miller somewhat.

Billy was good for the most part, but damn! he's starting to look old. As is Diane Keaton. And Clint Eastwood. And me........... :(

Yes, everyone is looking old, Annie Hall was even there I saw! I should have been clearer, when I said who is Ann Miller, I was mocking the folks in the audience were saying, I couldn't believe the applause stopped near the end, were their hands tired? And show Donald O'Connor running up a wall, not making a face :angry: ...it is the last time a billion people will see him....

I didn't watch the Oscars, but I looked at a list of the winners...

Everybody who was favored to win in the major categories won, I think. No surprises at all. I am glad the LOTR won, though. Peter Jackson deserves it. Look out for NEXT year! I predict a ton of (undeserved) nominations for "The Passion."

Kind of disappointing that Clint Eastwood didn't win. Call me a mouldy fig if you will, but I much prefer old time story telling over the computer generated, style over substance movie making that seems to dominate Hollywood these days. Mystic River the book and Mystic River the movie is that rara avis where one is as good as the other. I really thought Eastwood would win. He's been around a long time and while everything he's done viewed singly may not be overwhelmingly impressive, he has put together a nice body of work. In past years that has been known to influence the Academy. Plus, he's a jazz guy.

Up over and out.

My wife and I haven't seen a single one of the "Lord of the Rings" movies. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

be sure to stay that way!

I promised to see vol. 1 - some of the most boring hours ever spent inside of a movie theatre. And then going home you realize you could have bought a CD for the same prize... (what do you pay in the us? Here it is some 13-14$ at the current rate, or 11-12 euros - crazy switzerland!)

ubu

Look out for NEXT year! I predict a ton of (undeserved) nominations for "The Passion."

You betcha! That's a given.. If it doesn't get nominated there will be a lot of pissed off church organizations! :o

Everybody who was favored to win in the major categories won, I think. No surprises at all. I am glad the LOTR won, though. Peter Jackson deserves it. Look out for NEXT year! I predict a ton of (undeserved) nominations for "The Passion."

Just curious, did you see the film yet Alexander?

Everybody who was favored to win in the major categories won, I think.  No surprises at all.  I am glad the LOTR won, though.  Peter Jackson deserves it.  Look out for NEXT year!  I predict a ton of (undeserved) nominations for "The Passion."

Just curious, did you see the film yet Alexander?

He's taking it on faith, Berigan.... ;)

Is it just me, or does Sophia Coppolla look kinda nasty in a "I might not be a classic "babe" but I've got more than enough brains, imagination, self-confidence and energy to fuck your brains out and leave in the morning without fixing you breakfast and you'll be dying to get back together and I will but only if I really want to so deal with it and if you're man enogh to handle it we'll see" kinda way?

I think I like that.

Other than that, I thought that I had become as disinterested in Hollywood as I could possibly be about 3 years ago, but each succeeding year proves me wrong.