John Patton Corner

Soul Stream

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OoooooOOooOO yeah baby! Burn me one! Let's see what I can trade...

I have that Shirley Scott record on Strata East that's bad as all getout...

I also have a sweet Billy Preston record where he's playing organ and piano and doing all gospel tunes. Amazing organ work on that one.

I've got lots of vinyl. Ask me about something...

Oo, just remembered one. Gene Ludwig on Mainstream. With Jerry Byrd on guitar. Bad shit! :)

1.  Get Lou Donaldons' "The Natural Soul." :D

I just got Natural Soul last week, and damn is this a great cd. any John Patton with Grant green is smokin' in my book.

Right now, my favorite JP is Along Came John. this ones gets a lot of play with me, usually on repeat.

PS Love the new forum.

I would like to take this opportunity to repent. On previous BB (I forget where ;) ) I once called ACCENT ON THE BLUES " a stinker."

I had sampled it in a store and was less than impressed. You have to admit that the band is not too tight on the head of the opening track. Which is about all I sampled. Later, however, even on that song, things heat up and the groove takes over and well... you've heard the disc.

Anyway, I publicly renounce my previous statement and beg your forgiveness for my slander against this disc.

My favorite Patton (and I may stand alone) is BLUE JOHN. It was my first John Patton and my first exposure to Braith. Tommy T has some great moments on this one too. Maybe I'll tire of the Braith someday but for now this one's my pick.

I'm realy looking forward to THAT CERTAIN FEELING which I've never heard.

I honestly still haven't been turned on listening to Memphis to New York spirit. I'm sure it'll grab me one day and I'll say "Whoa! Why didn't I hear this before?" I keep trying.

That's what happened with Understanding. I think I went in with preconceptions of what it was going to sound like and it took awhile for those preconceptions to fall away and to just listen to the music for what it is.

• 5 months later...

Yes, those are two very worthy sessions that show what Patton was all about in his last years. Great bands and some terriffic compositions, especially on "This One's For JA." "Minor Swing" is basically mined from his old Blue Notes as far as songs go...."The Way I Feel" "Along Came John" "Minor Swing", ect....but still a great CD!!!

By all means pick these up!!! :tup:)

You WOULD have to say that, Soul Stream...I just passed on MINOR SWING at a used store yesterday...unfortunately one about 40 miles from home, I was passing through coming back from (to coin a Carmell Jones kind of phrase) business meetin'. Damn.

You WOULD have to say that, Soul Stream...I just passed on MINOR SWING at a used store yesterday...unfortunately one about 40 miles from home, I was passing through coming back from (to coin a Carmell Jones kind of phrase) business meetin'. Damn.

Sorry Dr. J.!!!! Bad timing I guess. However, don't feel too bad. Minor Swing is the least favorite of the two. But it is still a good one. ;):D

You might have to make a "business" trip soon!!!!