John Patton Corner

Soul Stream

Guest donald petersen

i remember as a youngster rifling through my father's jazz CDs and getting to one with a smiling young man with a mullet and a silk vest on and thinking to myself "is this for real?" and deciding to never listen to anything this man has put out. and now i see in keeping with the times on his latest album he seems to be rocking some trendy facial hair and hip possibly yellow tinted glasses things and i am ok with my decision. but hey, he played with miles davis briefly and is probably quite comfortable financially, so....respect.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for such a complex musician, bjp had some annoying licks he seemed to use a lot.

and a lot of his compositions sound the same.

but then again i return to his albums more than other organists because he uses interesting sidemen which i think makes everything sound more interesting than it really is.

I think of all the major organists, John Patton and Larry Young were two of the least prone to pet cliche "licks." Especially John's work from "That Certain Feeling" onward. Take an album like "Understanding" or "Memphis To New York Spirit" and point out the 'annoying licks' please. And as far as compositions go.... His later composing style is largely modal, which might be boring to some I guess depending on where your head is at. As Ben Dixon said at John's funeral. "I had the jazz and John had the melodies." John wrote pop hits for Lloyd Price such as "Personality." Grachan Moncur III said he learned a lot about harmony from John and really dug his songwriting. So I guess to each his own.....

Guest donald petersen

i think patton uses this ascending perhaps triplet kind of lick in many songs.

i don't find his compositions boring. the later the date...the more interesting i think they are. the openess of the tunes on albums like "ny to memphis.." and "accent" is a nice change from a lot of the other stuff in the genre. but some of the earlier albums ('blue john", for instance)...a lot of the tunes have a cheesy kind of edge to them, to my ears. the same way that keith jarrett songs can sound cheesy.

Edited by donald petersen

i think patton uses this ascending perhaps triplet kind of lick in many songs.

i don't find his compositions boring. the later the date...the more interesting i think they are. the openess of the tunes on albums like "ny to memphis.." and "accent" is a nice change from a lot of the other stuff in the genre. but some of the earlier albums ('blue john", for instance)...a lot of the tunes have a cheesy kind of edge to them, to my ears. the same way that keith jarrett songs can sound cheesy.

I guess I can't disagree if you compare things like Blue John with his later Blue Notes. It's also interesting to note that Ben Dixon actually wrote quite a few of the songs on Patton's first Blue Note LP. No doubt Patton had an affinity for the ascending triplet. It's a real cornerstone of his style.

I'm not sure all the songs Patton wrote for Lloyd Price. Although he didn't get credit for "Personality" and also another one of Lloyd's bigger hits (can't remember which one). He got the screw job on that because he was young and unaware of how he was being taken advantage of. I'm sure he missed out on quite a bit of bread on that one since it was such a big hit.

ms. longoria is quite something, isnt she. are you sure you're not listening to joey defrancesco, donaldo?

db4-you nuts? i would never listen to anything put out by that mulleted schmoe.

Here are a couple that should change your opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Marchel-Ivory-Meets-...2911&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/3-Marchel-Ivery/dp/B00001X52S/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpt_1

Edited by kh1958

Guest donald petersen

kh-i do not listen to music made past the early 80s.

i think these albums are newer.

however i do have an old recording of mr. ivory playing with red garland from the late 70s which i enjoy though the quality stinks. i probably couldn't find it though, if i wanted to...in this pile of CDRs under my desk.

i think these albums are newer.

however i do have an old recording of mr. ivory playing with red garland from the late 70s which i enjoy though the quality stinks. i probably couldn't find it though, if i wanted to...in this pile of CDRs under my desk.

Yes, from the 1990s.

That must be from the long-closed Recovery Room in Dallas. While I saw Marshel Ivory there and James Clay also, I never heard Red Garland.

If you haven't heard these due to some sort of pre-conceived cut off date, then you're really missing out. Marchel is in excellent form and the sound quality is wonderful. The CD with DeFrancesco is just an all out wonderful musical experience. Marchel...man, you GOTTA hear that guy on Leaning House.

• 6 months later...

My son just finished the P-SAT (P as in "pre" - given to sophs in high school).

Get this - one of the grammar questions referred to BJP, as in something like "correct this sentence - 'Big John Patton are a jazz organist'".

How about that!

Edited by Eric

My son just finished the P-SAT (P as in "pre" - given to sophs in high school).

Get this - one of the grammar questions referred to BJP, as in something like "correct this sentence - 'Big John Patton are a jazz organist'".

How about that!

I hope he answered, "Big John Patton are a BMF jazz organist!"

MG

• 13 years later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Eric said:

I see Ed Cherry has a new one coming out on Posi-Tone, which can be pre-ordered at Bandcamp.  The is a track currently available for purchase - “Ding Dong” from Understanding.  Nice to hear somebody cover that one!

Will also be available (on CD and mp3) from Amazon:

71j-pN+vooL._SL1500_.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 12/5/2005 at 12:51 PM, bertrand said:

Thelma Patton told me there's a third, unissued DIW session.

Did this ever get released? If it did, I must've missed it.

Michael Cuscuna told me that he put out that John Patton Mosaic Select box set to help Thelma pay off some of John's medical bills. I wonder if it helped?

And whatever happened to Soul Stream (Mike Flanigin) here on the forums?

On 12/10/2023 at 5:37 AM, bresna said:

Did this ever get released? If it did, I must've missed it.

Michael Cuscuna told me that he put out that John Patton Mosaic Select box set to help Thelma pay off some of John's medical bills. I wonder if it helped?

And whatever happened to Soul Stream (Mike Flanigin) here on the forums?

That Select is a great box! Hope it helped the family out, too.

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

That Select is a great box! Hope it helped the family out, too.

I love that box and everything BJP.  Fun to know he was a local guy (Kansas City), along with Charles Kynard.  I tend to gravitate towards the later stuff, so deeply in the pocket to my ears.  Also love it when some of his sax players go a little outside on those later Blue Notes.

PS - would love to hear the unissued DIW session!

Edited by Eric