King Crimson - Construkction of light

bertrand

I opted for live recordings of the material on the 3 CD Heavy Construkction. Either way, the drum sounds are the deal breaker. But there are some excellent compositions, particularly the title track. The live set is now prohibitively expensive, so the studio album may be the only reasonable option.

Edited by StarThrower

On 12/28/2016 at 10:43 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

They are both at the heavy metal end of KC. Took me some time to get into them but I find I enjoy them now even though they are not favourites. They lack the lyrical element that provides contrast to Thrak - lots of power-chording. 

Thrak was a weird one for me; very good songwriting, among the group's best, coupled with relatively uninteresting instrumentals.  The 72-74 band turned on its head!

Edited by Guy Berger

On 1/2/2017 at 1:26 PM, Guy Berger said:

They are a really nice & witty touch on "Dinosaur" which is a delightful tune.

I'm pretty sure there's no mellotron on Dinosaur. What sounds like one is coming from the guitars. The mellotron is only heard at the beginning of VROOOM.

2 hours ago, GregK said:

I'm pretty sure there's no mellotron on Dinosaur. What sounds like one is coming from the guitars. The mellotron is only heard at the beginning of VROOOM.

stock sound on a Roland GR-1 guitar synth...Belew probably worked on it with them...or someone developed it for him.