N.Y. Times - Newvelle Records

paul secor

I don't think I've ever been tempted to pay $60.00 for a new LP. Ever.

I passed on a Henry Threadgill solo flute LP from a few years ago because they were asking something like $30-$40 for it, new. In retrospect, do I miss having it? Yeah, kind of, but from a greed/collector standpoint, not from a musical one. I get profit margins and niche market and all that, I do, but I also get price points where I am and am not part of the niche. There we were, and here we definitely are.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not sold on this label, but gospeed to them!

Interesting bit of information in the NYT article -  Jazz accounted for just 1 percent of all record sales in the United States in 2015, according to Nielsen’s year-end report. But jazz buyers do purchase actual albums: Almost half of those jazz records were bought in physical form. 

I couldn't find the source for this quote in their link, but assuming it's true, only 1% of music sold in the US is jazz?!

What percentage was it 10 years ago, anyone knows?

http://rogerbourland.com/2007/01/07/2006-genre-album-sales-report/

albumsales.jpg

From 2014:http://s0.thejazzline.com/tjl/uploads/2015/03/nielsen-2014-year-end-music-report-us.pdf

GENRE BREAKDOWN – TOTAL CONSUMPTION

(SELECTED TOP GENRES – ALBUMS + TRACK EQUIVALENT ALBUMS + STREAMING EQUIVALENT ALBUMS) Genre % of Format Total

% of Total

Consumption

Albums

Tracks

Streams

CHILDREN

1.0%

1.5%

0.3%

0.4%

CHRISTIAN/GOSPEL

3.1%

3.6%

2.8%

1.6%

CLASSICAL

1.4%

2.1%

0.5%

0.3%

COUNTRY

11.2%

11.8%

12.0%

6.4%

DANCE/ELECTRONIC

(EDM)

3.4%

2.0%

4.6%

6.8%

HOLIDAY/SEASONAL

2.6%

3.6%

0.9%

1.1%

JAZZ

1.4%

2.0%

0.6%

0.3%

LATIN

2.6%

2.4%

1.8%

5.0%

POP

14.9%

10.8%

21.1%

21.1%

R&B/HIP-HOP

17.2%

13.9%

19.1%

28.5%

ROCK

29.0%

33.2%

21.3%

24.7%

Given the almost identical totals for children's & jazz & classical (and between the last two, I wonder how much of an overlap there is?), I'm kinda expecting some kind of trend towards the reissuing of "vintage" children's records to eventually emerge. I know they've been blogged pretty thoroughly at least once. Some kind of coffetable book with the cover prints and then one or two CDs...the ultimate in Boomer nostatlgia indulgence. What's left, really?

il_570xN.1118185067_66ea.jpgil_570xN.1071649630_h6s8.jpgil_570xN.1118233371_85le.jpg

"Fro creative children whose parents want them to love, understand, and grow with good music"

Tell me there's not your jazz and classical market of today. :g

I have bought a couple of $60 records but I stress a "couple."  For me to dig that deep I have to be sure that this is a desert island  kind of album not a "wait and see" kind of album.  No disrespect to any of the artists and the concept is good on paper absent the price.  Tying in poetry and origi al art to this musical art is a great idea and none of the artists should be giving away their work but when such a project needs not only $60 up front but many more times that for it to work then I'm not interested any more.  If they can't do this on an album by album basis then I say good luck.  It looks like the aesthetics and work is high quality but still....

• 4 years later...

Newvelle Records is supposed to be offering individual LPs for sale tomorrow for Record Store Day. This is the first time I've been able to look at this catalog with the thought that I could buy a record or two that piqued my interest.

I have one of their LPs, Noah Preminger's "Some Other Time" & I have the CD version of Ben Allison's "Quiet Revolution". Has anyone been able to hear more of their catalog and offer recommendations? I am thinking about Frank Kimbrough's "Meantime", Andy Zimmerman's "Half Light" & Kenny Werner's "Church On Mars". I am also curious about Pablo Ablanedo's "Octet" which has a pretty good lineup: Anat Cohen, Jenny Scheinman, Chris Cheek, Jerome Sabbagh, Diego Urcola, Ben Monder, Fernando Huergo, Franco Pinna and Daniel Ian Smith.

Thanks,

Kevin